What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs Souths

Iamback

Coach
100% agree. Chris Smith May have the odd mistake in him but I’ve watched our NSW Cup side at the game this past four and overall he has been pretty good.

He doesn't miss a tackle but offers nothing the other side of the ball

Kilkenny

Coach
He's not bad but he has failed before. I'd look at other first
I’m not sure he’s failed as such, perhaps just not quite proven NRL quality week in week out. On what I have watched this season to date he is clearly a better option than Garner, Geyer, as far as the back rowers are concerned. We’re really not flush with depth in this area Now that Martin is experiencing problematic hamstring issues. If the issue continues Ivan may have to manufacture something to get us thru.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I’m not sure he’s failed as such, perhaps just not quite proven NRL quality week in week out. On what I have watched this season to date he is clearly a better option than Garner, Geyer, as far as the back rowers are concerned. We’re really not flush with depth in this area Now that Martin is experiencing problematic hamstring issues. If the issue continues Ivan may have to manufacture something to get us thru.
Still believe Tago in the backrow is a legit option

Original Name

Juniors
I’ve watched in person our most recent games, particularly hoping to something from the kids who are talked up and we haven’t actually been very good at all. I know the kids are young eligible for Flegg etc but I hope we have an injury free season because the depth is an issue. Jack Cogger aint no Shaun O Sullivan and the outside backs just aren’t NRL standard at this stage of their develop. Cole is some way off NRL on a weekly basis And no adequate replacement for Stephen Crichton even if he is not quite at his best.

I don’t even want to think about how we replace Spencer Lenui because there is no obvious replacement on the horizon.
Matty Eisunhuth (at prop) would play a 6 out of 10 in Cup then follow it up from 6/10 game in first grade. Chris Smith is a similar guy. That's what he did at the Dogs for him Penrith to recruit him he didn't really stand out in their games then he sorta played at the same level when they played a team like the Storm. That's all we need from debutants. The senior players in first grade should get a win call ups can manage that. I know everyone wants to see kids killing it and everything but some of them are at the very least fully capable of that.

I also think this goes to show Hopgood's leadership in defence and the effect it had on the team this year compared to last year. He was the leader of the team, constantly talking and leading by example on kick chases, with heavy first contact and similar things.

Original Name

Juniors
What's your opinion on Jenkins? Has the size for first grade, and is usually on the highlights scoring tries for NSW Cup games.
He doesn't look soft and isn't a tiny target that gets picked up and dragged but he needs to find a way to be more phyiscal on his runs or just do something to get a better play the ball at first grade level for us. Like Anthony Don had subtle little footwork and got leg tackles despite never really running that hard. He'll defeintely do a job for a few games, he isn't like how Staines used to be or anything but when say Roosters start firing and we're up against their entire back 5 who are phyiscal beasts at taking hit ups it's a bit of a difference in momentum.

It's like the difference between outside backs now and backs 10 years. There's a huge difference with the pace of the game gassing forwards more is expected from them out of yardage not metres wise but winning the ruck wise. He has everything else. Good reader of defence, good in the air, instinctively smart at finding with a bit of space, can sense when a try's on, good at calling for grubbers when on, can play centre/wing on both edges just fine.

Iamback

Coach

Can't judge Garner until we see him fit. Hassett or Tago are the best long term options

betcats

Referee
Looking a the replay of the knights apart from Martin .The only injuries where Leota at the 19 minute mark his shoulder he played on after that.Sorrenson ankle 8 minute mark he played on .
Both Kenny and Luke finished the game so should be okay..I can only see Leota sorrenson Martin as being out if they are out

Yeah I noticed leota didnt finish the game but he did run onto the field after we won and threw his arms around the group of players jumping on nathan and didnt look to be favouring anything so hopefully he is ok. If he had any half serious injuries I daresay he would've been a bit more restrained in his movements.

Assuming Martin is definitely our and Sorenson possibly we need another left edge backrower, at this stage id be tempted to go with Salmon he is looking pretty good there when he gets minutes. Starting will be a big step up for him. Garner came back last week and could be used but I agree with Franklin, he needs match fitness i'd like to see him have a few 65 minute plus games in cup before he is considered again if possible.

If Leota is out I think we need to start with Spencer. Our middles are mainly tackling early in games but we do need some punch to start with and the way Spencer returns kick offs he could get us on the front foot early. Souths are the type of team if you get them going back wards they can fall apart quickly.

Side note, is there a better kick off returning prop in the game then spencer? He is incredible there 8 times out of 10 he skittles the defensive line off those kick offs. That golden point set could've been completely different if not for the way spencer started it, he got us on the front foot straight away and then Yeo, Dyl and nathan finished it off with some great plays but if Spencer gets dominated and slowed down on that run we probably dont get close enough.

betcats

Referee
Can't judge Garner until we see him fit. Hassett or Tago are the best long term options

I can see Hassets talent but geez he is small right now. I dont mind a small backrower but Hasset would be a small player at any position right now, needs a good 18 months to build up his strength.

Iamback

Coach
I can see Hassets talent but geez he is small right now. I dont mind a small backrower but Hasset would be a small player at any position right now, needs a good 18 months to build up his strength.

Hosking and Garner are signed for the next couple of years, so there is no rush

Luke Bowden

First Grade
strong enough team.

I expect a tight first half with us cruising home to a comfortable win.

I think Soni will have a big game.

Latest posts