What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 v Bulldogs

Victoire

Juniors
Tyrell Sloan will get better no question, utterly ridiculous to write him off at this point. I think of Will Kennedy at the Sharks, who was similarly a gifted athlete, ball-runner and passer when he came on the scene, but was suspect positionally and often very dubious under a high ball. Now, in his 5th full season at FB as a 26 year old he's probably Cronulla's 2nd most important player alongside Hynes (who he has formed a deadly combination with).

Fullback is a very very tough gig. Not many kids come onto the scene nowadays with all the components of it perfected.

thebigredv

First Grade
Tyrell Sloan will get better no question, utterly ridiculous to write him off at this point. I think of Will Kennedy at the Sharks, who was similarly a gifted athlete, ball-runner and passer when he came on the scene, but was suspect positionally and often very dubious under a high ball. Now, in his 5th full season at FB as a 26 year old he's probably Cronulla's 2nd most important player alongside Hynes (who he has formed a deadly combination with).

Fullback is a very very tough gig. Not many kids come onto the scene nowadays with all the components of it perfected.

Sloan had a hand in all the Dogs tries yesterday. It was a very off day for him but definitely needs some belief (and maybe some coaching ;)) put into him and he will be back.

Won't be surprised if the next coach plays him on the wing in a Josh Addo-Carr type role.

TheRev

First Grade
Agree Sloan is either a fullback or a 5/8, you cant be that slight in defence as a winger either, and you need to be able to cart the ball back.. Sloan also gets picked up when he tries to run it into any traffic, Ado-Carr is an example of a slight winger that has the knack of using his footwork to trip up defenders and he rarely gets man-handled.. but hes a rare player.....

I'm trying to remain optimistic that Sloan will learn the defensive skills he needs.. but he wasn't any better in reserve grade either.. the thing is there actually is nobody else that can take his spot anyway.. so the spot is his for now, but like I keep saying he has to show he can learn those skills fast.

I was very surprised how easily Max caught those bombs though.. for a dedicated centre who rarely has to do it.. although from what the commentators were saying.. those ones weren't the floating/swirling type.. but still, they were massive bombs on a windy day.. and there was pressure on some of them.

Victoire

Juniors

Funnily enough I was just reading a thread in the Sharks forum about Will Kennedy, which was started back in 2019! The first few pages you could easily assume it was Saints fans talking about Tyrell Sloan...

He's is the worst back I've seen in a sharks jersey. I'd take both jono and Mathew Wright back over this little whimp.
Who the f**k catches a mid field bomb, pretends to run to the defence, stops and throws a 10m+ pass to a guys feet that had a defender on him.
He is bloody crap

Stinks. Hopefully he never plays again for us.

Has he ever made a tackle once our line is broken?

Iv never been a fan and more than happy to move him on for Miller / Dykes combo for 2023 but we can’t drop him now

I’ve gone from the early days thinking he wouldn’t make it because of his very slight build to thinking he can be a real gem in First Grade.

The kid has X factor, something lacking in a lot of teams play these days. He has defence in two minds with his possible step and run or pull off a line breaking pass.

Sure he’s got a f**k up in him (but which backline player doesn’t at the moment?) But every time he has the ball I’m anticipating something to happen. You gotta love that in a player. If he starts to really get comfortable in First Grade watch out this kid will create a lot of points for the team.
Yep.

Not NRL

He wasnt last week.

Hes worse this week.

He has gifted them the game and put us on the back foot.

Based on what he shown he may never make NRL.

He cannit play next week or again thsi year
I can see him ending up on a wing once Moyza is back.
Didn't see a separate thread on Mr. Kennedy.

He had a decent game but wasn't much interested in catching bombs.

For those that have seen him in the lower grades could he play on the wing or is he a fullback only?

TheRev

First Grade
I love Kennedy, he has a real physicality about him despite his size.. he charges through gaps... and thats a great job putting the post together!

But... I do want to point out that there are many many more young fullbacks that don't come quite have the full package for NRL.. you still have to keep your eyes open and see consistent improvement.. I mean Stewart imo is a far more effective attacking weapon if we are comparing the pair.. he will pull through a half tackle which Sloan doesnt do.. Sloan is probably quicker and relies on his speed to get into a bigger gap or create one.. if you go back further there was Dufty who also relied on his acceleration, and needed a larger gap because if a hand got laid on him it he fell over.. he also developed a pass which for a while was a great asset..

But none of the 3 so far have really developed that defensive side, Dufty had many more years development than the others though.. I actually think we will let Stewart go this year because we don't have the time to hold onto Sloan & Stewart who both have the exact same issues.. Sloan already has the contract and the time invested in him.. so he will be the one we back.. and he basically has the year to himself, there is no competition for him, so this is his chance.

Note: I didn't factor Ramsey into the discussion, he was a bit different to the others in his growth, and irrelevant now anyway.. if he gets back onto the field we can debate him then..

twinkletoes

Juniors
Sloan had a hand in all the Dogs tries yesterday. It was a very off day for him but definitely needs some belief (and maybe some coaching ;)) put into him and he will be back.

Won't be surprised if the next coach plays him on the wing in a Josh Addo-Carr type role.
Ok Sloan did miss some one on one tackles but how was he put in that position in the first place...look at the culprits further upfield who didn't do their jobs and give them a beating up....its not easy tackling a very quick player coming at you with speed one on one...I've seen Teddy get beaten a number of times in similar situations. We've got to give the boy some slack

St_Bondi

Juniors
Funnily enough I was just reading a thread in the Sharks forum about Will Kennedy, which was started back in 2019! The first few pages you could easily assume it was Saints fans talking about Tyrell Sloan...
Fortunately for Will though he has had the pack and now half back who have helped him become the fullback he currently is. Tyrell is basically doing it all on his own.

Old Timer

Coach
Can see your point OT but if you are planning at putting Sloan on the wing, he will still need to catch bombs, he will still need to defend etc. IMO we dont have the attacking plays that allow our outside backs or the FB to showcase their attack, its all done ad lib and individual brilliance. If we get a new coach and he decides to put Sloan somewhere else and there is a better option at FB then I'll be happy with that to, I'd also be happy to see Max Feagai and Sloan interchange during a game.
The work of a FB is 10 fold that of a winger and as a winger he will get some support from his centre and edge forward.

JAC and Blacklock were pretty ordinary early on and then they grew into their skin as 1st class wingers and so can Sloan.

Protecting a wing and not the width of a football field will be much easier for him.

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
I've never understood this attitude where fullbacks getting beaten in a one-on-one situation is solely their fault. Surely someone else has failed their assignment before that situation even materialises.

The more important question is why, through Dugan, Dufty and now Sloan, has our front-line defence been so putrid for so many years that the fullback is regularly being put in that position.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
You cant keep shafting Sloan Possm, he needs time at FB, if by the end of the season nothing has improved, I'm sure the team will be shifted around by a new coach, but for now you cant keep sapping his confidence.
Agreed 100%. Dylan Edwards had shit hands when he first came into grade, brain explosions, and not the best defence. But you know what helped him? GOOD COACHING. It's not just about the physical aspects but the mentality.

Self-preservation can obviously be caused by one's self initially but I truly believe it can be coached out of a player, because it's been done before plenty of times. But Duff, and now Sloan were/arebeing mismanaged and not being actually taught how to work on their deficiences, but just told what their deficiencies were. How encouraging.

Old Timer

Coach
Agreed 100%. Dylan Edwards had shit hands when he first came into grade, brain explosions, and not the best defence. But you know what helped him? GOOD COACHING. It's not just about the physical aspects but the mentality.

Self-preservation can obviously be caused by one's self initially but I truly believe it can be coached out of a player, because it's been done before plenty of times. But Duff, and now Sloan were/arebeing mismanaged and not being actually taught how to work on their deficiences, but just told what their deficiencies were. How encouraging.
How do you teach ticker?

Illusion

Bench
Ok Sloan did miss some one on one tackles but how was he put in that position in the first place...look at the culprits further upfield who didn't do their jobs and give them a beating up....its not easy tackling a very quick player coming at you with speed one on one...I've seen Teddy get beaten a number of times in similar situations. We've got to give the boy some slack
Yep I remember Dufty doing it to Teddy ......

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Well reading all the comments I’m glad I couldn’t watch it here in Vietnam.
Only positive is I tipped the dogs & can’t believe the panthers cost me the round 😳
Back to the bar I go 😩😩
I hope all's going well over there in the Nam, blacksafake. The Pho Bo is a popular dish over there. It's their National dish. Enjoy!

Dragon David

First Grade
Well, well - just like it is with Sloan, amazing. Look at how Kennedy has developed and credit must go to him with they way that he has trained and improved and credit to the coaches for sticking with him.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

He also needs another 10 kilos and maybe some ticker as well

possm

Coach
Show em that they won't make it if they don't have it? Idk Bellamy would probably know because all his players seem to have it when they didn't have it at their prev clubs
Learning the proper technique will give you the confidence to take anyone. I was a slightly built halfback in my day with lots of speed off the mark and a very good leg tackle technique. I was never afraid to tackle because I had the right technique.

I'd like to see tackles to be chest high or lower.