What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 v Tigers

Fangs

Coach
What? Did you see his effort on that late try last week? He should be dropped on that alone

I'm not ecstatic with his performances but his workrate is up. And Ivan has him engaging the line before he passes which really helped our left edge against Souths. Looking for a positive here I don't want NRL to be dead to me in round 9.

His defensive efforts and scramble have been poor all year. He had some shocking efforts against the TItans, simply wasn't putting in. He would be one of the first players I would want released if we had a fire sale today.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors
It is the individual improvement under Cleary that is concerning too.

Tamou and Fish have shown improvement and consistency. The rest haven't really improved at all from where they were at last year.
Kikau was a bit dodgy in defense last year, he's been better this year. In the past MWZ hasn't been consistent but lately he's been solid.

kinghippo

Juniors
What? Did you see his effort on that late try last week? He should be dropped on that alone
That tackle was pathetic, an arm scrambling grab for jersey or the ball is all we are seeing from him this year.
They are so ineffective against anyone with a good leg drive, he just seems to jump in front of people expecting that will be enough.
I am sure he is being coached to stop offloads but if he got his head down a bit and hit people with his shoulder they would be on their back.

mxlegend99

Referee
That last try everyone is bagging RCG for. Why not bag the 10 or so missed tackles in the play before it by the rest of the team? Our entire defensive line had just retreated 50 metres or so and RCG is the only one being bagged for the try?

He had a poor miss on that attempt. But f**k me the whole team were as bad or worse in the play before and they hadn't run 50 metres before they tried to tackle.

DWZ was the only one to make a tackle out of the last 10 or 15 attempts from us.

franklin2323

Immortal
That last try everyone is bagging RCG for. Why not bag the 10 or so missed tackles in the play before it by the rest of the team? Our entire defensive line had just retreated 50 metres or so and RCG is the only one being bagged for the try?

He had a poor miss on that attempt. But f**k me the whole team were as bad or worse in the play before and they hadn't run 50 metres before they tried to tackle.

DWZ was the only one to make a tackle out of the last 10 or 15 attempts from us.

He is the one getting elite money. How many times does Sam Burgess etc miss tackles like that?

kinghippo

Juniors

You are right about the whole team missing tackles, we are the worst in the comp as a team not just RCG.
My point was more about our tackling techniques this year. I think a lot of our miss tackles come from scrambling for the ball to stop offloads.
Players are coming in high and just using arms, the RCG tackle is an obvious example.
I would rather see a focus back on just putting players on the ground, hitting hard with the shoulder, and dealing with an offload if it happens rather than making it the focus.
It’s not like we have managed to stop offloads completely and coming in high leaves defenders open to good leg drives from the opposition.
Leg drive leads to a quick play the ball a lot of the time because the defender ends up on their back and the ball carrier on their stomach.
RCG is the most obvious example of my theory, he has either been coached into or he doesn’t want to get his head low due to his jaw, but he is not the only one doing it.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
He is the one getting elite money. How many times does Sam Burgess etc miss tackles like that?
Tamou (elite money) and Katoa put in eorse attempts on CNK which opens the field up. JFH (elite money) and Leota fail to tackle him before he offloads to Croker.

Croker then humiliates a number of guys before DWZ comes in to tackle Wighton from the pass.

Next play the whole team has retreated and RCG misses first followed by Leota and then Grant.

RCG cops all the blame though. Nevermind tge fact he had more excuse for his miss than Tamou and Katoa did... he had just been chasing and retreating for 50 metres

mxlegend99

Referee
You are right about the whole team missing tackles, we are the worst in the comp as a team not just RCG.
My point was more about our tackling techniques this year. I think a lot of our miss tackles come from scrambling for the ball to stop offloads.
Players are coming in high and just using arms, the RCG tackle is an obvious example.
I would rather see a focus back on just putting players on the ground, hitting hard with the shoulder, and dealing with an offload if it happens rather than making it the focus.
It’s not like we have managed to stop offloads completely and coming in high leaves defenders open to good leg drives from the opposition.
Leg drive leads to a quick play the ball a lot of the time because the defender ends up on their back and the ball carrier on their stomach.
RCG is the most obvious example of my theory, he has either been coached into or he doesn’t want to get his head low due to his jaw, but he is not the one doing it.
This year?

We had the second worst missed tackles per game last year. We had the worst the year before. Wehave had tge worst or close to the worst missed tackle counts for years now. Somewhere along the way we are getting it wrong for sure.

franklin2323

Immortal
Tamou (elite money) and Katoa put in eorse attempts on CNK which opens the field up. JFH (elite money) and Leota fail to tackle him before he offloads to Croker.

Croker then humiliates a number of guys before DWZ comes in to tackle Wighton from the pass.

Next play the whole team has retreated and RCG misses first followed by Leota and then Grant.

RCG cops all the blame though. Nevermind tge fact he had more excuse for his miss than Tamou and Katoa did... he had just been chasing and retreating for 50 metres

You do realise Katoa was playing centre. JFH had played a full game and moved out of position. Tamou scored a 40 m try before that? RCG plays big minutes anyway. was playing in position.

franklin2323

Immortal
RCG is the most obvious example of my theory, he has either been coached into or he doesn’t want to get his head low due to his jaw, but he is not the only one doing it.

Looking at tackle efficiency. Winterstein has 98% and Tamou has 95% that is it rest are ordinary figures. Same issue was last year

mxlegend99

Referee
You do realise Katoa was playing centre. JFH had played a full game and moved out of position. Tamou scored a 40 m try before that? RCG plays big minutes anyway. was playing in position.
What a load of bullshit.

Scoring a 40 metre try takes more energy than scrambling defensively for 50 metres? Our defensive line was set when Katoa and Tamou missed.

RCG was covering a large space in aline that had not yet recovered from the break. You come up with all sorts of shit to defend every other missed tackle and put the blame on one person. The entire team aside from DWZ and Aekins nred to wear that try. Aekins forced Croker to pass and DWZ was the only player to make his tackle.

But yeah create excuses for everyone else. Even though the same reasoning you use for others easily applies to RCG. Who btw made 43 tackles for only 2 misses.

Edit
43 tackles. Not 42.

Fangs

Coach
Blake dropped for being late to training. Fuimaono in.

Sele out with a back problem, Katoa to play lock.

Luai on to the bench.

Very disappointing. Dropped previously for a night out with Moyza and Hiku in 2017.

Discipline at Penrith seems to be very poor.

mxlegend99

Referee
Blake dropped for being late to training. Fuimaono in.

Sele out with a back problem, Katoa to play lock.

Luai on to the bench.
Oh awesome. I was worried we might actually be able to find a way to break the line.

Shouldnt be an issue now.

Kikau out (seems likely)
Yeo out.
Sele out.
Blake dropped.
Martin suspended.

To a side already in terrible form. Thank god Tigers arealmost as bad as us. We might not get pumped by 50.