What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9: Wests Tigers v St.George Illawarra BITCH FEST: Pre Game

Nook

Bench
Hutty,

I can see that there were plenty of dickheads there that night but its pretty stupid to put ALL Dragons fans in the same category, dont you think?

Yes, mate, that would be pretty stupid, if that was what I was doing.

Bumble

First Grade
Nook said:
Hutty,

Nah...I'd throw almost all Dragons fans in the "most bitter, humourless, miserable merkins in the world" category

Hutty1986

Immortal
Nook said:
Hutty,

Well I doubt all of the saints fans posting in this thread were there that night and/or acting like cocky tools at the game... But i do certainly see your point

Anyway this weekend is what matters atm... Should be a very good game of footy imo.
An improving Dragons side vs a Tigers team in very good form

Hutty1986

Immortal
Bumble said:
Nah...I'd throw almost all Dragons fans in the "most bitter, humourless, miserable merkins in the world" category

09-rex_kiss_nanygai.jpg

gregstar

Referee
aids said:
i went for the maggies when we collected the spoon in 98 and 99
i was at cambelltown when we got thrashed, i think the last magpies home game against the raiders, with about 3,000-4,000 people.

the most success i've seen from a club was getting bumped out in the semi's during the early 90's.

so 05 was a great year, even last year was ok.
beating the premiers with a bunch of high school kids.
this year looks ok as well.
if ever a district has been let down by the nrl, it's the western suburbs area. given the population growth in that part of sydney, it's an absolute disgrace that only three games of footy will be played there this season.

work that one out.

Nook

Bench
if ever a district has been let down by the nrl, it's the western suburbs area. given the population growth in that part of sydney, it's an absolute disgrace that only three games of footy will be played there this season.

work that one out.

I've worked it out

a) you mean 'Western suburbs' as Campbelltown/Liverpool as opposed to everywhere else
b) it's because the Tigers need the money and
c) yeah, it isn't good.

But we gave the footy starved people of the area a ray of light or two in 2005 so that has to count for something.

Nook

Bench
Well I doubt all of the saints fans posting in this thread were there that night and/or acting like cocky tools at the game...

I think most of them were probably there, and from what I've seen you're all good guys so I'm positive that none of those that were there were acting like knobs.

Anyway this weekend is what matters atm... Should be a very good game of footy imo.
An improving Dragons side vs a Tigers team in very good form

I think it will be interesting. You guys don't have Gaz so that is minus 3 tries already. We're going pretty well but the wheels could fall off at any stage - people forget that 3 weeks ago we were playing like busteds. Could go either way, should be a good game...I reckon we'll win.

gregstar

Referee
Nook said:
I've worked it out

a) you mean 'Western suburbs' as Campbelltown/Liverpool as opposed to everywhere else
b) it's because the Tigers need the money and
c) yeah, it isn't good.

But we gave the footy starved people of the area a ray of light or two in 2005 so that has to count for something.
what does it count for if a team is torn away from its comunity?

Nook

Bench
what does it count for if a team is torn away from its comunity?

You're right, it counts for nothing, and the Tigers have been shunned by Campbelltown accordingly ever since 2005. :p

If only the crowds out West could match the crackers at Oki...

gregstar

Referee
i'm not having a dig.

i'm saying that the western suburbs should have their own single identity playing out of campbelltown every second week.

you'd almost swear that balmain won the comp themselves in '05.

skandalis seemed to be the only western suburbs connection to the title.

aids

Bench
gregstar said:
i'm not having a dig.

i'm saying that the western suburbs should have their own single identity playing out of campbelltown every second week.

Hodgo started as a maggie.
Gibbs is a campbelltown jnr as well.

i along with a lot of others are hoping that 08 sees the club move back to a 50/50 spilt at balmain and campbelltown.

Nook

Bench
i'm not having a dig.

In a perfect world, I agree - same as Illawarra should have their own single identity playing at WIN every second week. But the Maggies and the Steelers just couldn't afford it.

Only if you closed your eyes and blocked your ears and imagined it.

On that analysis the only Balmain connection to the title was Mark O'Neil. Oh, and Ben Galea (one game for Balmain IIRC).

Even split of games between Balmain/Cambo (with some at Homebush which is pretty closer to the old Wests territory than it is to Liechhardt). Even split of name. Even split of fans, as far as I can see.

We're one team now - Balmain, Campbelltown, Wests, Tigers. The win in 2005 and the generation of kids following the new team out West and elsewhere will see to that.

gregstar

Referee
aids said:
Hodgo started as a maggie.
Gibbs is a campbelltown jnr as well.

i along with a lot of others are hoping that 08 sees the club move back to a 50/50 spilt at balmain and campbelltown.
as dragons fan know only too well from 1986-89 & 1999-2003, take games away from home grounds no matter what the financial incentive, and you lose an important ingredient that helps a club reflect its comunity.

how tragic if every sydney club succumbs to the lure of the quid & plays out of only two venues.

aids

Bench
gregstar said:
as dragons fan know only too well from 1986-89 & 1999-2003, take games away from home grounds no matter what the financial incentive, and you lose an important ingredient that helps a club reflect its comunity.

how tragic if every sydney club succumbs to the lure of the quid & plays out of only two venues.

if telstra have soured on the NRL after the current messup, i would imagine they wouldn't be too concerned about geting clubs to play out of telstra, who knows.

forwardpass

Juniors
I agree Gregstar with your comments about crowds when you're moving away from your heartland. I remember well the disaster of Saints move to the Cricket Ground and Aussie Stadium...

I guess time will tell if the Tiges go down the same path...my guess is they're doing OK at the moment while memories are fresh for them and their young ones of 2005, but if 2005 can't be repeated soon, those long journeys west (for the Balmain people) and into Telstra for the Campbelltown/Liverpool people will become less and less....

gregstar

Referee
Nook said:
In a perfect world, I agree - same as Illawarra should have their own single identity playing at WIN every second week. But the Maggies and the Steelers just couldn't afford it.
yep & yet the league chose to throw money at non rugby league areas such as adelaide & melbourne.

nook said:
Only if you closed your eyes and blocked your ears and imagined it.
well i can only venture my impression. plenty was made of balmain & wests were an afterthought.

nook said:
On that analysis the only Balmain connection to the title was Mark O'Neil. Oh, and Ben Galea (one game for Balmain IIRC).
again - i can only forward the impression i got from the media hype. plenty of former balmain players were interviewed & only raudonikus seemed to be the token magpie thrown in for "balance". it seemed & still seems weighted heavily in the balmain flavour. no doubt former steelers feel the same about our current setup.

nook said:
Even split of games between Balmain/Cambo (with some at Homebush which is pretty closer to the old Wests territory than it is to Liechhardt). Even split of name. Even split of fans, as far as I can see.
well you'd know more than i so far as the breakdown of fans is concerned, but how "homely" is stadium australia?

nook said:
We're one team now - Balmain, Campbelltown, Wests, Tigers. The win in 2005 and the generation of kids following the new team out West and elsewhere will see to that.
well it will be interesting to see how it pans out if campbelltown & leichardt continue to only get 3 games each a season.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Nook said:
Some of the Dragons fans on this thread are classics. Just can't take a bit of good natured banter.

Surrender tackles, Bradburys, Tigers fans with chips on their shoulders...all the old chestnuts. :lol: So much pain.

Sadly (for them:lol:) even the most ardent Dragons critics of the Tigers' tactics/performances would swap any St George season since 1980 for the Tigers' season in 2005.

I still think it was a great game, that semi. That atmosphere...wow. At half time, at a packed house, when we were up by a bit and about to play 40 minutes of footy with a decent crack at making the bigtime...that is what being a Rugby League fan is all about. That we lucky Tigers fans got to experience on the back of such an awesome season (probably RL's most successful ever in Australia) and after so many years without hope made it even sweeter. Doesn't get any better.

It was the best match of RL I've ever been to, and probably will be for a very, very long time.

Latest posts