What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Then you're either totally out of touch or deluded.

Go into any workplace in the ACT and ask people whether they support an NRL side or AFL side. Once you've removed the people whom don't care either way you'll be left with three roughly equal groups; those who prefer RL, those that prefer AFL, and those that are partial to both.

Separating out RU's fanbase is a little more complex because they kind of exist in the middle of the Venn diagram of the other two. Educational background is the easiest way to guess if a person is interested in RU, but even that's becoming less of a thing these days.

Sure, but they're the only comparable hard numbers that exist by which we can measure the popularity of each sport in the ACT, and it says something that RL doesn't come out looking too good by that metric.
Why are you so aggressive dude? Canberra is a league town, proven over and over in our lifetime. Participation rates, and the fudging of them, prove nothing. Unless you agree QLD is now AFL TOWN lol.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Why are you so aggressive dude? Canberra is a league town, proven over and over in our lifetime. Participation rates, and the fudging of them, prove nothing. Unless you agree QLD is now AFL TOWN lol.
I'm not being aggressive, I'm just telling it like it is. You're either completely clueless or totally disconnected from reality.

We're talking levels of full of shit comparable to flat earthers and similar conspiracy theorist and all it takes is a cursory glance at Canberra's history and demographic makeup to see why. It's to the point that just spending a bit of time in spaces with a good representation of Canberrans and ACT residents on social media would show that you're full of shit just from the evidence of ones eyes.

The fact that you are forced to fall back to claiming that everybody's numbers must be fraudulent and that your opponents must be dishonest actors instead of attacking the actual arguments says a lot about the veracity of your claims.

The funniest thing is that I could introduce you to Canberran Aussie Rules fans that are similarly full of shit, and whom truly believe that RL's popularity is overstated in the ACT similar to how you think AR is, which kind of proves my point in a weird way.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Absolutely correct, a team in the Western Corridor as well as the Broncos and Dolphins will make it hard for any code to grow in SEQ. Kill? No, but make life hard for them... Absolutely
I'm not interested in playing a semantics game with you. You've repeatedly expressed those sentiments like I said you had.
Brumbies and Giants are both irrelevant... however Union and AFL are bigger than RL in Canberra... Makes complete sense.
Good job I never made either of those claims then isn't it.

RL and Aussie Rules are of a similar size in Canberra/The ACT and have been for most of it's existence. It's so close that which is bigger is generally impossible to tell just by eyeballing it and largely irrelevant either way, and it's probably swapped semiregularly. The only times that hasn't been the case are 1920s-1940/50s when Aussie Rules was dominant because of the demographic make up of early migrants to the city, who were largely public servants from Victoria, and the majority of the 1990s when the whole town was painted green for reasons that should be obvious to you.

Union certainly isn't as big as RL or Aussie Rules, however the Brumbies at their height were a similar size to the Raiders at their height and there's no reason why that couldn't happen again if the circumstances were right.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Immortal
I'm not interested in playing a semantics game with you. You've repeatedly expressed those sentiments like I said you had.

Good job I never made either of those claims then isn't it.

RL and Aussie Rules are of a similar size in Canberra/The ACT and have been for most of it's existence. It's so close that which is bigger is generally impossible to tell just by eyeballing it and largely irrelevant either way, and it's probably swapped semiregularly. The only times that hasn't been the case are 1920s-1940/50s when Aussie Rules was dominant because of the demographic make up of early migrants to the city, who were largely public servants from Victoria, and the majority of the 1990s when the whole town was painted green for reasons that should be obvious to you.

Union certainly isn't as big as RL or Aussie Rules, however the Brumbies at their height were a similar size to the Raiders at their height and there's no reason why that couldn't happen again if the circumstances were right.
Go
Brumbies

taste2taste

Juniors
They didn’t allow this for Benji at the tigers

be interesting to see how much power uncle Nick has
If Manu is off contract he can go play wherever he wants ?

The NRL can stop him coming back after the Japanese season but why would they stop one of the games biggest stars from playing in the NRL ?

Canard

Immortal

The NRL can stop him coming back after the Japanese season but why would they stop one of the games biggest stars from playing in the NRL ?
They won't and can't.

I'm no fan of the Roosters and they always get some favours from the NRL, but in this case, I'm not really fussed.

Manu for half a season, a la SBW is fine.

I mean he is risking injury playing back to back to back seasons without a break, and the Roosters could be out of contention by May.

Wb1234

Immortal

The NRL can stop him coming back after the Japanese season but why would they stop one of the games biggest stars from playing in the NRL

Potential salary cap dodge with the roosters blessing to keep him from going to the dragons

last time gallop said they would refuse to accept a new contract for Marshall

They won't and can't.

I'm no fan of the Roosters and they always get some favours from the NRL, but in this case, I'm not really fussed.

Manu for half a season, a la SBW is fine.

I mean he is risking injury playing back to back to back seasons without a break, and the Roosters could be out of contention by May.
What’s the worst thing that can happen to him playing ruggers, getting bored?

Potential salary cap dodge with the roosters blessing to keep him from going to the dragons

last time gallop said they would refuse to accept a new contract for Marshall
That’s a good point although it’s a different climate as Vlad has us on a kinda war footing with the other mob. Don’t think it’ll happen anyway tbh.