What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Exactly as I expected. The bloke who's spent five seconds in the city thinks he knows better than the locals. f**king tourists LOL.

And you, who literally hasn't provided a single source other than "trust me bro" accuses me of it. I've had this debate with these people multiple times, I've already given them the lowdown on Canberra's history, it's demographic makeup as a result, and the only comparable, like for like, statistics that exist. There's no point in me whipping them out over and over, especially when they're just going to be ignored and/or baselessly branded fake. It's the best data we have available to us, it is what it is, and it isn't my fault that nobody is collecting and/or collating solid market data for the sports industry in the ACT and making it publicly available, nor am I in a position to change that realistically.

GWS ≠ all Aussie Rules support in Canberra anymore than the Raiders do RL's. In fact their portion of the AFL's fanbase in Canberra wouldn't even be close to the Raiders portion of the NRL's.

They definitely wouldn't be in the top five most popular AFL clubs in the ACT, and probably wouldn't be in the top half of the table if you took out the people who support them as a "second team". Furthermore in their whole time ripping off the ACT ratepayer they've only played one match against a club that's a genuine big draw. Imagine if the the Raiders didn't exist and the Titans played a handful of games out of Bruce almost exclusively against the lowest drawing teams, that's the equivalent of what GWS have done in Canberra.

BTW, that one game against a genuine draw was R19 2016 against Richmond. 14,974 were in attendance, the AFL's highest attendance at Manuka and a sell out at the time IIRC. Now imagine how many more could have been in attendance if Richmond were playing a genuine local team instead of the failed abortion that is GWS. . . 18-20k easy, maybe a bit more if the conditions were good.
Oh dear. This is you, isn't it?
Word for word lines up with your rants. 2017 was a long time ago brother. Time to let go of Gil's five year domination of Canberra plan LOL.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Stadiums are done

soccer and union. Arent helping Brookie leichardt mt smart Newcastle or Canberra

now they can die
Bullshit. The more tenants, the more economic justification for stadium builds. The problem with stadiums is almost always the amount of days they sit unused not generating revenue. The more days of use you can guarantee, the more justification for upgrades.

Wb1234

Immortal
Bullshit. The more tenants, the more economic justification for stadium builds. The problem with stadiums is almost always the amount of days they sit unused not generating revenue. The more days of use you can guarantee, the more justification for upgrades.
Like I said allianz Melbourne commbank are done

Penrith and Townsville didn’t need another tenant

so name another stadium upgrade where it matters ?

the grounds I listed are the ones the nrl wants done up and none have another tenant.

jim_57

Staff member
Like I said allianz Melbourne commbank are done

Penrith and Townsville didn’t need another tenant

so name another stadium upgrade where it matters ?

the grounds I listed are the ones the nrl wants done up and none have another tenant.

3 of the 5 you listed have another tenant.

Wb1234

Immortal
3 of the 5 you listed have another tenant.
Which grounds are remaining now to be done have another tenant ?

none of the Sydney ones, not camberra or gong

Newcastle does but their crowds are awful they can’t fill one stand

jim_57

Staff member
Which grounds are remaining now to be done have another tenant ?

none of the Sydney ones, not camberra or gong

Newcastle does but their crowds are awful they can’t fill one stand

Mt Smart has Moana and the soon to be new A-League side. Newcastle has the Jets. As for Canberra, mate you’ve mentioned them about 1000 times in this thread 😂, plus I think they’re still getting the 14th A-League side.

Unlikely any of those will give capacity a shake any time soon unless they host a SR or AL final but having another tenant(s) in these stadiums definitely helps the push for upgrades.

Wb1234

Immortal
Mt Smart has Moana and the soon to be new A-League side. Newcastle has the Jets. As for Canberra, mate you’ve mentioned them about 1000 times in this thread 😂, plus I think they’re still getting the 14th A-League side.

Unlikely any of those will give capacity a shake any time soon unless they host a SR or AL final but having another tenant(s) in these stadiums definitely helps the push for upgrades.
Mt smart and newie aren’t getting an upgrade for teams with crowds of 5k

nor will an a league side in Canberra make a difference

Iamback

Coach
The biggest thing RL can do to get upgrades is move NRLW to run in the mens off season

You instantly double content for the venue

Wb1234

Immortal
The biggest thing RL can do to get upgrades is move NRLW to run in the mens off season

Plus keep growing crowds from 20k average

if Sydney clubs get more sell outs then the stadiums will get done

if the warriors crowds stay as they are then they will get a new ground

Iamback

Coach
Plus keep growing crowds from 20k average

if Sydney clubs get more sell outs then the stadiums will get done

if the warriors crowds stay as they are then they will get a new ground

You won't get that with the time slots. NRLW will need different changerooms for example so that pressures to getting upgrades.

A new stand at Leichhardt for example makes it a totally different ground

King hit

Coach
John O’Neill literally said within ten years union would take over from league in Australia

gill McLaughlin says afl has taken over in qld

whilst other codes are aggressively trying to take over from rugby league we have the Neville chamberlains of the world who want to appease them

the collapse of union will bring huge benefits for the nrl.
Wish people would stop predicting the death of something or saying something is on the verge of doom. The amount of times I’ve heard rugby league is over is ridiculous. The amount of world ending apocalypses I’ve been told about is also ridiculous. It isn’t scaring me (never has) and more people are waking up to this fear tactic.

jim_57

Staff member
Mt smart and newie aren’t getting an upgrade for teams with crowds of 5k

nor will an a league side in Canberra make a difference

More people using a facility on more occasions makes the case for better amenities/access/comfort etc.

Union and Soccer also have a good handful of home Internationals at their disposal to offer as well which are crowd pullers.

Wb1234

Immortal
More people using a facility on more occasions makes the case for better amenities/access/comfort etc.

Union and Soccer also have a good handful of home Internationals at their disposal to offer as well which are crowd pullers.
Union is a parasitic sport so it’s virtual death in Australia would give me a lot of joy

soccer hasn’t done much to league but the sport is going the Way of the national soccer league

reality is australia has way too many “football” (all codes) clubs and with pay tv cutting back many of them aren’t viable

at least rugby league held back from adding so many clubs so has a more sustainable business model going forward

Canberra has had two codes sharing the stadium for ages and no upgrade

That is not going to happen. I've refereed junior representative squad trials in summer and the conditions are brutal for a referee, let a lone a player. A full on comp game, in summer temps on the east coast, with the Cowboys playinmg trhu the wet season in Townsville? Sorry but for those reasons alone its a ridiculous suggestion. If you think excessive heat is not a problem, look up the name "Danny Shepherd" and what happened to him playing a trial game at the SFS in 1990.

Iamback

Coach
That is not going to happen. I've refereed junior representative squad trials in summer and the conditions are brutal for a referee, let a lone a player. A full on comp game, in summer temps on the east coast, with the Cowboys playinmg trhu the wet season in Townsville? Sorry but for those reasons alone its a ridiculous suggestion. If you think excessive heat is not a problem, look up the name "Danny Shepherd" and what happened to him playing a trial game at the SFS in 1990.

I get it isn't ideal but how does the NRLW grow when the games are in timeslots like midday Sat?

I’ll never forget the sight of Liam Fulton throwing up on the sideline on a hot/humid Saturday arvo against us in a February 2010 trial.