What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Pretty amazing that all in the same week we`ve got fumbleball copying Rugby League`s Magic Round concept and then bleating about how good they are at it too and then union at the same time desperately trying to get a headline by continually referencing League.
Like they say, you`ve got pretenders and you`ve got contenders, we know who the pretenders are.

Billythekid

First Grade
Honestly this plan is going to be an extremely costly publicity stunt that only gives a temporary boost. Even if the wallabies win the World Cup it’s not going to change the fact that the club game is rapidly dying and the NRL is stomping all over it.

If anything I think it could backfire and be a big advertisement to league (even more so if the players come back like RTS).

On top of all that it’s costing them a fortune they don’t have. After the 2027 World Cup we’ll be entering a massive new TV deal with even more money to splash around.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Honestly this plan is going to be an extremely costly publicity stunt that only gives a temporary boost. Even if the wallabies win the World Cup it’s not going to change the fact that the club game is rapidly dying and the NRL is stomping all over it.

If anything I think it could backfire and be a big advertisement to league (even more so if the players come back like RTS).

On top of all that it’s costing them a fortune they don’t have. After the 2027 World Cup we’ll be entering a massive new TV deal with even more money to splash around.
They really are going for broke. Even this $100-150m private equity deal they are talking about is only the equivalent of a couple of months of the money that is coming into our game. Once they spend that it`s back to square one.

taste2taste

Juniors
Does anyone know the answers to the following ? ( I've done some digging but numbers are hard to find )

1 what is Rugby's deal with Stan Sport worth ?

2 Do Super Rugby teams have a salary cap and if so what is it ?

3 What is the average crowd attendance for Super Rugby games in Australia ?

Wb1234

Referee
Does anyone know the answers to the following ? ( I've done some digging but numbers are hard to find )

30 million with Stan (bit more with contra)
Nzru give them an extra 10 million pa from their money

crowds aren’t published but it’s well under 10k

7k would be realistic

docbrown

Coach

1. The chairman of the ARU gave the rugby toffs on Channel 9's board a couple of bj's in an alley in exchange for getting FTA broadcasts.

2. It used to be about 30 pieces of silver per player back in the day.

3. If we're counting players on the field too, then just slightly above 30.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

1. f**k all in terms of exposure for advertisers.
2. Caps are for the working classes, theirs is called a boater.
3. I think the official formula they use is (2x+x) squared.

mozza91

Coach

The 3 of these figures combined equals $47.38.

Wb1234

Referee
The best comparisons haven’t even been mentioned

nrl weekly tv ratings 5.5 million vs super rugby 200k

nrl turnover 640 million vs ra 80 to 90 million

nrl tv deal 430 million vs ra 34 million

ra were so broke they already received a big chunk of the revenue from the lions tour in advance and have to pay it back

the donkey running their competition thinks signing a few league stars is going to make a difference

taste2taste

Juniors
The best comparisons haven’t even been mentioned

nrl weekly tv ratings 5.5 million vs super rugby 200k

nrl turnover 640 million vs ra 80 to 90 million

nrl tv deal 430 million vs ra 34 million

ra were so broke they already received a big chunk of the revenue from the lions tour in advance and have to pay it back

the donkey running their competition thinks signing a few league stars is going to make a difference
I saw Danny Wielder interview Hamish McLenon on 9 news, he said Rugby were expecting a windfall of $100m for the Lions tour and 100m for the World Cup. Not sure if that's pie in the sky stuff or accurate but considering this is a guy that says Rugby has 850million fans globally ( 10% of the globes population) You'd have to think his numbers might be slightly off ?

The world cup might be a hard sell in Australia, I believe it's scheduled to run while the NRL and AFL finals are on ? I don't think rugby will be getting much media attention. I can't imagine fans flocking to watch it the way the ARU believe.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I saw Danny Wielder interview Hamish McLenon on 9 news, he said Rugby were expecting a windfall of $100m for the Lions tour and 100m for the World Cup. Not sure if that's pie in the sky stuff or accurate but considering this is a guy that says Rugby has 850million fans globally ( 10% of the globes population) You'd have to think his numbers might be slightly off ?

The world cup might be a hard sell in Australia, I believe it's scheduled to run while the NRL and AFL finals are on ? I don't think rugby will be getting much media attention. I can't imagine fans flocking to watch it the way the ARU believe.
it’ll be big, there’ll be tens of thousand toffs from Europe coming over in their private jets for it and people will always go to big events and s much as we don’t like it their wc is much bigger an event than ours.

rugby australia still not produced last years annual report lol
they lost $31.5mill during covid and are banking on the internationals to replenish the coffers. They had to borrow $25mill to stay afloat. So any windfall will have to go to paying that back.

I can see why they are scrambling around trying to build a wining team. If they can build a team that will challenge then there will be a lot more interest in the wc and tickets Sold.