What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

Wb1234

Referee

taste2taste

Juniors
So Cleary is also a product of Rugby because he spent a few years in NZ as a kid while his Dad was playing for the Warriors ?

Cleary, Hass and Murray would demand 1.6m per season and there is no guarantee they'll be a success ala RTS

I could see Crichton and Penisini switching, they could get equal pay in Rugby, they might want a new challenge later in thier careers

No mention of Nelson Asofa ? Didn't he have a meeting with Eddie Jones a few weeks back ?

ARU must be loving all the headlines, they've had more publicity in the last 10 weeks then they've had in the last 10 years

Iamback

Coach
So Cleary is also a product of Rugby because he spent a few years in NZ as a kid while his Dad was playing for the Warriors ?

Cleary, Hass and Murray would demand 1.6m per season and there is no guarantee they'll be a success ala RTS

I could see Crichton and Penisini switching, they could get equal pay in Rugby, they might want a new challenge later in thier careers

No mention of Nelson Asofa ? Didn't he have a meeting with Eddie Jones a few weeks back ?

ARU must be loving all the headlines, they've had more publicity in the last 10 weeks then they've had in the last 10 years

Yet the amount of people that watch the sport can fit into a mini bus

Pneuma

First Grade
Maybe they could just replace the whole wallaby squad with league players as a vote of confidence in the state of the rah rah game in Australia right now?

taste2taste

Juniors
This Hamish McLenon guy is a perfect caricature of the cliche rugby fan

Pretentious CHECK
Over states Rugby's popularity CHECK
Wealthy CHECK
Looks down on the 'working class game' CHECK

It's a head scratcher what his plan is ? Continually naming NRL players he wants to sign would be severely pissing off the current players who stayed loyal to the ARU....who are still waiting to be reimbursed for the huge salary hits they took during Covid.

If he's plan is to win over NRL fans, starting a 'code war' and making negative comments about league isn't going to win over any fans.

McLenon may be the worst administrativer Rugby has ever had.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Its all talk to try and seem relevant. The money isn't there to poach players en masse despite Hamish's delusional rants. They blew what they had on Suaalii.

CAS

Juniors
This 'see the world' stuff is pure fantasy, you want to play Sport and see the world, Play Football (Soccer), Cricket, Basketball, hell a load of other sports before Rugby Union to give it its proper name even comes up. Every November you go and play a few of England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and France and every June one or two of England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and France will come down under, sure there are way more Countries who play it than league, but not to any standard where then coming to Australia or going to play them in their country will generate any money and would be a loss. Every 12 years the Lions will come and every 4 years a world cup. Jeez even Rugby league which lets face it has pretty much given up on the international game over the years isn't that far behind offering that, SOO and a competitive Club game beats anything Rugger can offer. Imagine Cricket Australia going to India and England every year and have them come in the summer as they are they only ones to draw any interest, they wouldn't do it, but this global game only offers the same 8 or 9 countries as an option to play against in front of anything bigger than 3 men and a dog,

Penrith or Paris? If the wallabies played in Penrith and the Kangaroos in Paris I know who would have a bigger crowd?

Like someone who has just finished Bankruptcy and been given a credit card again for the first time in years, they are back to whoring themselves to every Rugby League winger out there, desperate to say the least.

Wb1234

Referee
This Hamish McLenon guy is a perfect caricature of the cliche rugby fan

Pretentious CHECK
Over states Rugby's popularity CHECK
Wealthy CHECK
Looks down on the 'working class game' CHECK

It's a head scratcher what his plan is ? Continually naming NRL players he wants to sign would be severely pissing off the current players who stayed loyal to the ARU....who are still waiting to be reimbursed for the huge salary hits they took during Covid.

If he's plan is to win over NRL fans, starting a 'code war' and making negative comments about league isn't going to win over any fans.

McLenon may be the worst administrativer Rugby has ever had.
John O’Neill says hold my beer

Its all talk to try and seem relevant. The money isn't there to poach players en masse despite Hamish's delusional rants. They blew what they had on Suaalii.
I love the fact they think their PE pay-masters are going to allow them to spend their investment on big name players from rugby league.

There are few things I am 100% confident about in life, but I can guarantee a PE firm is not investing $200m in union with the business plan to convert league fans to union by buying their best players.

Wb1234

Referee

not good news for union

also the union boss has another dig

“League need to chill,” McLennan said. “As rugby union is very pro-player, I was just checking in on Joey after all of the flak he was copping from the NRL. The good news is that he’s in great form and doing well.”

Last edited: