What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Some great posts in here over the last few pages.

One thing we definitely need is patience. Look how far we have progressed in the last decade alone.

Let's concentrate on the countries closest to us in the short term as we have been.

Samoa, Tonga, Fiji all coming along very nicely. NZ has named a powerhouse squad for these championships.

Still a little too much pull in NSW if you ask me. That's understandable considering they have been calling the shots for a long time and are having trouble giving a little ground.

These issues have caused all sorts of problems for their state side in recent years.

I love my RL just like most of the people posting on here. We just need to get along a little better.

Go the Broncos by the way.

CAS

Juniors
Some great posts in here over the last few pages.

One thing we definitely need is patience. Look how far we have progressed in the last decade alone.

Let's concentrate on the countries closest to us in the short term as we have been.

Samoa, Tonga, Fiji all coming along very nicely. NZ has named a powerhouse squad for these championships.

Still a little too much pull in NSW if you ask me. That's understandable considering they have been calling the shots for a long time and are having trouble giving a little ground.

These issues have caused all sorts of problems for their state side in recent years.

I love my RL just like most of the people posting on here. We just need to get along a little better.

Go the Broncos by the way.
Nailed it in the bold part, we often throw up internationals at the last minute like its been written on the back of a androtop packet, no forward planning just turn up guys and then wonder why crowds can be poor, you know if a club side was playing on that ground it would be full but an international, nah cant be bothered, plan well ahead and stick to it. Get some close games, hell beat Australia would help and folk might start to turn around again, now sadly most league fans switch off once the club game is over for the summer/winter, you can never have too much of a good thing.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Watching the Rugby World Cup quarter between Ireland and NZ and I think I get why the RU people go on about “seeing the world” with union… Ireland (the current #1 ranked team) seem to have an least 4 or 5 Kiwis and Aussies playing for them. It’s 2 tries all at half time and every one has been scored by an NZ born and raised player.

Not gonna lie pretty damn good game though.
The first ABs try would have had League fans baying for a forward pass. The contrast in attitudes between the codes as regards forward passes/knock-ons/obstructions is extraordinary. Given that the respective rules are no different.

Unlimited possession in Union makes it hard to take seriously when you're used to League. That last passage for Ireland had 35 phases. There were others in the game that went into the 20s. Hardly consistent with the claim that every ruck is a contest for the ball.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
The first ABs try would have had League fans baying for a forward pass. The contrast in attitudes between the codes as regards forward passes/knock-ons/obstructions is extraordinary. Given that the respective rules are no different.

Unlimited possession in Union makes it hard to take seriously when you're used to League. That last passage for Ireland had 35 phases. There were others in the game that went into the 20s. Hardly consistent with the claim that every ruck is a contest for the ball.
Fair I’m constantly amazed at the obstruction union gets away with. The rolling maul is also way too op, having said that in quality internationals teams are better at defending it. Don’t get me started about the overuse of tmo

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Not gonna lie pretty damn good game though.
It was a good game for sure. But I think if you put a casual fan in front of it vs a good game of league they’d find the union pretty dour, with those endless pick and go exchanges, at times they felt like an old fashioned league game with a 5m rule and unlimited tackles, just endless one up hitups. It’s tough for sure but there’s not a whole lot of ball movement happening i those periods.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Fair I’m constantly amazed at the obstruction union gets away with. The rolling maul is also way too op, having said that in quality internationals teams are better at defending it. Don’t get me started about the overuse of tmo
Dunno how old you are but the rolling maul was way more of a weapon around the time of the first couple of RWCs- I remember AB sides making 40-50m just mauling it upfield.

footyfan4life

Juniors
Watching the Rugby World Cup quarter between Ireland and NZ and I think I get why the RU people go on about “seeing the world” with union… Ireland (the current #1 ranked team) seem to have an least 4 or 5 Kiwis and Aussies playing for them. It’s 2 tries all at half time and every one has been scored by an NZ born and raised player.
Compared to the 0 Irish born players in the “Ireland” league World Cup team.

Wb1234

Immortal
Gotta admit though, how good would it be if we could get 78K to a QF.
Union doesn’t have a great club competition

England is struggling big time

France is propped up by rich sugar daddies. One heart attack and teams could go bust

the rest are regional comps whose crowds are below the nrl

then there’s origin and a developing international scene

It’s why the fumbled ball fan you replied too is chirping

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Union doesn’t have a great club competition

England is struggling big time

France is propped up by rich sugar daddies. One heart attack and teams could go bust

the rest are regional comps whose crowds are below the nrl

then there’s origin and a developing international scene

It’s why the fumbled ball fan you replied too is chirping
And yet with all that their international showpiece still hammers ours. We should change that