What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby Australia to target top NRL talent

westerntiger

Juniors
How the Roosters haven't been done for their obvious salary cap roots is beyond me. I think the NRL realised after the Storm scandal and how quickly they bounced back that it was pointless to try and enforce it.

Not joking this is their business plan

sell off part of the game to private equity

sign league players

hope this turns the sport around

lmao
shut-up-and-take-my-money-futurama.gif

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
They can buy all the players they want but until they change the rules union will struggle in this country and as we have seen with the recent criticism of the game in N.Z. there as well.
They are also up against two codes who continue to evolve to please their spectators - even if one of them is ridiculous. Aussies won`t put up with a sport where the ball is in play for 35 minutes out of a game time of 80 minutes and probably closer to 100 minutes from start to finish.
Union like Test cricket is hidebound by its` past. Unfortunately for union - unlike cricket - it doesn`t even have the modified games like T20 or ODI that can attract a mass audience on a regular basis. And don`t talk to me about sevens.

Colk

First Grade
The money coming from Rugby's war chest is from private equity. So the Wobbleroos better win something or they'll want there money back.

They won’t though. I don’t know much about union but I’ve heard people who do know and say that the Wallabies forwards are the problem. That would make sense too.

Wb1234

Referee
They can buy all the players they want but until they change the rules union will struggle in this country and as we have seen with the recent criticism of the game in N.Z. there as well.
They are also up against two codes who continue to evolve to please their spectators - even if one of them is ridiculous. Aussies won`t put up with a sport where the ball is in play for 35 minutes out of a game time of 80 minutes and probably closer to 100 minutes from start to finish.
Union like Test cricket is hidebound by its` past. Unfortunately for union - unlike cricket - it doesn`t even have the modified games like T20 or ODI that can attract a mass audience on a regular basis. And don`t talk to me about sevens.
Nailed it

the union mob remember how rugby league took over from union in Australia by signing all their best players and think they can replicate it

as you say the problem is they are playing rugby union. You could take Lockyer and johns and put them in the wallabies, but it’s still boring old rugby union

what makes league players so good is the game itself

Colk

First Grade
Nailed it

the union mob remember how rugby league took over from union in Australia by signing all their best players and think they can replicate it

as you say the problem is they are playing rugby union. You could take Lockyer and johns and put them in the wallabies, but it’s still boring old rugby union

what makes league players so good is the game itself

100%.

Although Test cricket is miles more interesting, cricket has evolved as well.

t-ba

Post Whore
It is money for old rope, get paid more for doing less, travel the world, go to the Olympics and Cwealth games. TBF if you can put up with wasting your talent away and being looked down on by snobs its not a bad gig!

I don't think hotels and training grounds between transcontintental flights is a particularly massive selling point.

These guys all make enough cash to spend their two months off travelling wherever they want without being bossed around.

westerntiger

Juniors
Pretty sure AFL games go forever. On Friday night they kickoff before the NRL starts and still go for about 40 minutes after NRL finishes. I know that the Swans have pinched a lot of the inner city crowd from union and I don't understand it. I guess they'll follow anything that's not league...

taste2taste

Juniors
They have already changed the rules to make rugby more exciting, 100 years ago when league was born :D

There's no rules rugby can change without directly copying league.

Wasn't Gridiron originally Rugby ? Seems the yanks were smart enough to change the rules too.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
They really have no f**king idea, do they. That or they do have an idea and they just can't face it. Peter FitzSimons wears that stupid bandana on his head all the time because he's constantly sweating bullets over the state of Union in this country.

Young players don't want to play Union because of some perceived money issue. They don't want to play it because it's f**king shit.

taste2taste

Juniors
In all fairness to Suaalii no one could blame him for taking the money, it would take him more than 10yrs to earn that in the nrl. League is such a brutal sport you can be a rising star and then 1 minute later you get a serious injury and your finished ( Yow Yeh, Tuiaki and Suaaliis team mate Billy Smith )

Take the money while you can, i might even be tempted to watch a game...yea, Na

Rugby Australia is building a powerful financial war chest in expectation of lodging a stunning $10m offer over five years for Sydney Roosters star Joseph Suaalii.
RA has drafted a hit list of champion NRL players for the 2025 British and Irish Lions tour and the 2027 World Cup which includes Suaalii, Tom Trbojevic, Latrell Mitchell, Cameron Murray, Ryan Papenhuyzen, Matt Burton and Nelson Asofa-Solomona.
So the plan is to ruin Roosters, Storm, Sea Eagles and NSW Blues?

We all win by not having a Roosters vs Storm GFvevery second year. I wouldn't be surprised if the QRL is throwing in some coin to get these buggers out of the way so we can go 8-0 again.

Diesel

Referee
How cashed up is RU. I can’t imagine their deal with Stan is close to what Fox was paying

Union are cashed up because of a one off payment. How stupid are they in frittering it away on signing players from other codes on big money? That's how they frittered away their last windfall. Proves the idiots running that game have learned nothing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't think hotels and training grounds between transcontintental flights is a particularly massive selling point.

These guys all make enough cash to spend their two months off travelling wherever they want without being bossed around.
You’ve obviously not seen how these guys get wined and dined when on tour. They aren’t staying in Leeds and hitting the local chippy like the kangaroos lol

Latest posts