What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League 3 for Wii

Firey_Dragon

Coach
So. What exactly is your motivation for making up these lies?

Firstly, out of the 4 RL games we have done, RL3 was the smoothest of all in the final weeks, not "broken" as you suggest.

Secondly, the budget was never cut. It was established well in advance of development beginning, and we received the full amount of that budget over the course of development.

Thirdly, the project was fully staffed from the outset, with virtually no personnel or resource issues arising during the course of development outside a single team member who moved to the US after five months into the project.

Fourthly, RL3 was not built from scratch. While we rewrote the graphics and animation engines entirely, we were able to leverage as a starting point large amounts code from RL2WCE (itself heavily "cleaned up" compared to RL2).

So, no, you do not know anyone that worked on the game. At all.
Considering RL3 was developed by a different development house, I can't see how you can say "of the 4 games we've done" (That in itself suggests you're from PR/Management). I have no motivation for making any lies, I know someone who worked on the team. I also know a pretty big deadline was almost missed in October due to a pretty big screwup. I've even been to your offices which are a stones throw from Flinders Street Station.

If I've got any misinformation about the code, then so be it, I'm only repeating what I was told. I can assure you though I know someone who was closely tied to the project, I believe they're working on an AFL game right now.

I guess we'll just wait and see until the reviews come out. But damn you got me :roll:

Last edited:

Mario

Juniors
Considering RL3 was developed by a different development house, I can't see how you can say "of the 4 games we've done" (That in itself suggests you're from PR/Management). I have no motivation for making any lies, I know someone who worked on the team. I also know a pretty big deadline was almost missed in October due to a pretty big screwup. I've even been to your offices which are a stones throw from Flinders Street Station.

If I've got any misinformation about the code, then so be it, I'm only repeating what I was told. I can assure you though I know someone who was closely tied to the project, I believe they're working on an AFL game right now.

I guess we'll just wait and see until the reviews come out. But damn you got me :roll:

Er, no.

RL, RL2, RL2WCE, and RL3 have all been done by us, Sidhe, based in Wellington, New Zealand. We are not based in Melbourne near Flinders Street Station, so you haven't been to our offices.

The claims you are making about RL3 for Wii are false. You are obviously referring to some other game, not ours.

Frederick

Staff member
I think firey is getting rl3 confused with the latest Barbie game - I hear that's been in development hell for years.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmm...

Just did a Google maps search and flinders St is Right Next to Collins St where BIGANTS studio is located.

So unless they are making the 'next gen' versions of RL3 which is unlikely, hes definitely got his wires crossed and is talking about AFL 2010 which is due out by them this year apparently.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Hmmmmmmm...

Just did a Google maps search and flinders St is Right Next to Collins St where BIGANTS studio is located.

So unless they are making the 'next gen' versions of RL3 which is unlikely, hes definitely got his wires crossed and is talking about AFL 2010 which is due out by them this year apparently.

This studio was definitely working on a rugby league game, I've seen the game in development, even played an alpha version. If that is the case, I must have my wires crossed and there is another one coming out for other platforms. My apologies Mario, I thought this was the same development. The game in question is licensed by the NRL because it had all the official players. And yes it's correct the studio in question is releasing AFL 2010 this year.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
The only other recently (and I use the term loosely) released Rugby League game was Mascot Mania for the Nintendo DS by Wicked Witch Software.

Jono078

Referee
Hmm.. Perhaps he's talking about the RL game for PS3 which was advertised in Chrisco's Christmas catalogue?

Either way, I'm sure your mate who is working on it wont be for too much longer the way you are leaking it out.

And also if true sad to hear it's up to sh*t :(

Firey_Dragon

Coach
The only other recently (and I use the term loosely) released Rugby League game was Mascot Mania for the Nintendo DS by Wicked Witch Software.
The game in question that I played was definitely next gen. I erroneously assumed that it was the same game. I played it back in August last year. One of my old work colleagues was working on it, I haven't spoken to him this year, I'll have to follow up on what's happening with it, I just thought it was this game that is being marketed right now. Clearly I was wrong. The graphics were substantially better on the dev boxes I played it on than the RL3 offering right now. The gameplay was pretty ordinary though.

Jono078

Referee
That's a shame, but if it was that long ago surely this will come out what, maybe end of this year? should have plenty of time to fix it right up?

Pumped for RL on PS3 when it happens.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Hmm.. Perhaps he's talking about the RL game for PS3 which was advertised in Chrisco's Christmas catalogue?

Either way, I'm sure your mate who is working on it wont be for too much longer the way you are leaking it out.

And also if true sad to hear it's up to sh*t :(
The dev team was about 30 people in all. He's safe, I'm just expressing an opinion. I've met a few guys from the team, they all gave me the same comments. It's a shame, I'd love to see a good RL game come out eventually, we haven't seen one since ARL 96

perverse

Referee
I'm undecided on whether I will buy it yet, i will probably wait for reviews and try it before I buy, but if I do it won't be because of this nonsense.

Do you watch rubbish movies to prove there is an audience in the hope that they will make a better sequel?

How about music? If a new band puts out a crappy album will you buy it to encourage them?

I will buy RL3, if it is good.
completely sh*thouse analogies.

the product is rugby league. the only chance we ever have of seeing it flourish in the video games medium is if the sales figures rise. that is undisputable fact.

do i watch rubbish movies to support the directors/actors/subject matter/whatever? yes, i do. not to encourage a sequel to that particular movie, but to support future projects containing that director/actors/subject matter/whatever.

once again, i will buy sh*t music if i have a vested interested (i.e my mate is in the band, it's a new genre that i like, etc).

the above comparison are apples to apples comparisons. no, i will never buy a sh*t game on it's own merit. yes, i will buy a sh*t game of which i have a vested interest in the future.

adamkungl said:
I don't believe that resources are the key to making a great game though.
once again.. it depends on the type of game. you've obviously never worked in development on any scale, but more money = more developers... or BETTER developers... more or better designers, more or better quality control. the list goes on. yes, a low budget game can be a raging success... if the concept is great and well executed. but you will not produce a FIFA or Madden qualiy game on a shoestring budget. it simply wont happen. you wont meet deadlines. you wont get code efficient enough. your GUI wont look as good. your graphics will suffer, your A.I will suffer... i mean do i really have to go on?

the statements you make aren't necessarily false by themselves, but they are out of context and not applicable in this case. not everything in this world is black and white.

Last edited:

Simo

First Grade
Fiery Dragon said:
I'd love to see a good RL game come out eventually, we haven't seen one since ARL 96

I think people look back on ARL 96 was rose coloured glasses. Sure it was fun to play, like ET's but both were pretty poor as far as realistic league games were concered.

ARL had the player that the computer just decideded would score and could not be tackled, ET has the 4th tackle level 7 AI tactic of 876756557888 offloads. The ARL isometric angle meant running one direction was far easier than the other.

Both were modified ports of the union game.

So whilst fun for their time, so was RL 1 (two was to soon after 1 to be not much improved, should have been better that one) and all have their big problems and dont play like a real league game.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
had a quick play of rl3 and it did seem better than rl2 (i cant find my copy of rl2 to compare). didnt know the wii controls (which was a controller sadly) so i did have trouble tackling. only used the quickplay superleague teams and matt adamson dropped the f**king ball about 3 times.

the comp did grubber, regained and scored so it seems theres more to it than the last version.

Feej

First Grade
Had squizz at it yesterday at Miranda EB. Looks okay, decided to pre-order - Mostly for the free controller to play it with. :)

Mario

Juniors
Here is a list of current demo locations in Australia

EB - Blacktown
EB - Mt Druitt
EB - Bondi Junction
EB - Miranda
EB - Westfield Kotara
EB - Rouse Hill Shopping Centre
EB - Macarthur Square, Campbelltown
Gamesmen - Penrith
Gamesmen - Penshurst
Gamesmen - Wollongong

Keen to hear your impressions if you have a chance to spend some time with the game.