What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Live 3

I really enjoyed RLL2 despite it's flaws. I'd probably still play it from time to time if I had my 360 hooked up.

RLL3 is absolute shit though. It's such a poor game, with RLL2 the fundamentals were okay it just lacked polish and had flaws like the interceptions and props catching wingers etc.

The fundamentals in RLL3 are broken however. It's just not fun to play, be a pro is bad too.

Parra Pride

Referee
I tend to ignore the reviews that most of you guys on this forum put forward as they are always overly critical/emotive. I actually enjoyed Rugby League Live 2 (despite its flaws) and played many hours on it, despite many people telling me how rubbish it was.

I got an Xbox One a month ago and am seriously considering getting RLL3.

Without the "I hate Ross" emotion (which I don't care about, I couldn't care less about what sort of bloke he is), is this genuinely worse than RLL2? I just can't believe that it could be.

I played a ton of RLL2, only stopped playing it because it would freeze my 360 when ever I tried to launch it, and I would happily play it over RLL3. I got back to 3 every now and then, and get bored shitless halfway through a game and go play something that's actually worth my time.

AJB1102

First Grade
I tend to ignore the reviews that most of you guys on this forum put forward as they are always overly critical/emotive. I actually enjoyed Rugby League Live 2 (despite its flaws) and played many hours on it, despite many people telling me how rubbish it was.

Without the "I hate Ross" emotion (which I don't care about, I couldn't care less about what sort of bloke he is), is this genuinely worse than RLL2? I just can't believe that it could be.

Played the shit out of all previous RLL games despite their "quirks".

But this one is just horseshit. I played a few hours a day for about 3 days after I got it and haven't once considered firing it back up.

RoosTah

Juniors

I really don't get how anyone could say this is worse than RLL2 in any way whatsoever.

It's a very similar style of game and clearly built off the same architecture, but this time the graphics are a bit sharper, there are more modes and there's a bit more happening in terms of contesting kicks and player movement is smoother. Apart from that it plays pretty much the same.

So yeah, it's definitely better. It's not Madden or FIFA, but it's definitely better than RLL2. All the people saying it isn't are just angry teenagers who've gotten in a tizz of Ross being a bit of a dick.

I really don't get how anyone could say this is worse than RLL2 in any way whatsoever.

It's a very similar style of game and clearly built off the same architecture, but this time the graphics are a bit sharper, there are more modes and there's a bit more happening in terms of contesting kicks and player movement is smoother. Apart from that it plays pretty much the same.

So yeah, it's definitely better. It's not Madden or FIFA, but it's definitely better than RLL2. All the people saying it isn't are just angry teenagers who've gotten in a tizz of Ross being a bit of a dick.
Ha! Have a cry son.

Perhaps we are just people with opinions, the majority opinion I might add too. The game is similar to RLL2 and it fixed some of it's flaws but the core of it all went backwards.

Career mode is stupid too, the buying of players is completely broken. You can more or less buy whoever you want, re-signing players is dumb too. The whole thing is just broken.

9's is the only enjoyable part and it gets boring after a week or so.

Ross being a merkin just makes it much easier to hate.

RoosTah

Juniors
Ha! Have a cry son.

Perhaps we are just people with opinions, the majority opinion I might add too. The game is similar to RLL2 and it fixed some of it's flaws but the core of it all went backwards.

Career mode is stupid too, the buying of players is completely broken. You can more or less buy whoever you want, re-signing players is dumb too. The whole thing is just broken.

9's is the only enjoyable part and it gets boring after a week or so.

Ross being a merkin just makes it much easier to hate.

Never said you're not entitled to an opinion, just that the histrionics over this game here mean it's pretty well impossible to engage most of you rationally on anything to do with it. You're really just the flip side of the suck ups at the Big Ant forums.

Case in point, the over use of the term "broken" - reading these pages you'd assume the game freezes up and crashes every time you try do pretty much anything.

But having played the game, that assumption quickly turns to questioning whether people here actually understand what they word "broken" means.

If I said "the brakes on my bike are broken" you wouldn't assume there was some quirk with them that made them too easy to use would you? No, you'd assume that you better not ride that f**ken thing anywhere near the top of a hill because you'll be in deep shit if you do.

Yeah, the career signing thing has a hilarious bug where you can offer a guy nothing and he'll accept it and sign with you, but all that means is you can cheat if you feel like it.

That's not the same as being broken because you can still hire guys and if you aren't in the mood to cheat you can offer them above the market value, so all still functions. If it were "broken" they'd either never accept any amount and you'd lose all your best players without having a shot at them, or the game would crash every time you tried to sign anyone.

For Pauly Boy, don't listen to the angry people here or the gushing suck ups over at BigAnt and just go and have a look at the pro reviews. They give you a fair idea of where this game ranks; IGN and Gamespot give it a 7 and a 6.5 respectively, and that to me feels about right

Last edited:

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade

I couldn't answer that as I never played RLL2.
I would suggest though waiting for the patch. Currently, you'd probably get it and be all over it for maybe a week or two (my personal experience), then have it on the shelf.

Of course there are people who like it, and good on them. However, if you are asking if we would recommend buying it, in it's current state - I'd say no, not yet. Wait for patch to come out, then ask.

redvscotty

First Grade
I was going to try get this on the cheap for the Xbone at some point, but a poster a few posts above has nailed it as to why I won't.

The game is boring. Halfway through a game and my mind was wandering off to other things. It's not absorbing, game/crowd atmosphere sucks dogs balls, the 'quirks' as Rosstah puts it make the game unplayable to any realistic standards and it just plain sucks.

RLL2 shits on this one from a great height.

Never said you're not entitled to an opinion, just that the histrionics over this game here mean it's pretty well impossible to engage most of you rationally on anything to do with it. You're really just the flip side of the suck ups at the Big Ant forums.

Case in point, the over use of the term "broken" - reading these pages you'd assume the game freezes up and crashes every time you try do pretty much anything.

But having played the game, that assumption quickly turns to questioning whether people here actually understand what they word "broken" means.

If I said "the brakes on my bike are broken" you wouldn't assume there was some quirk with them that made them too easy to use would you? No, you'd assume that you better not ride that f**ken thing anywhere near the top of a hill because you'll be in deep shit if you do.

Yeah, the career signing thing has a hilarious bug where you can offer a guy nothing and he'll accept it and sign with you, but all that means is you can cheat if you feel like it.

That's not the same as being broken because you can still hire guys and if you aren't in the mood to cheat you can offer them above the market value, so all still functions. If it were "broken" they'd either never accept any amount and you'd lose all your best players without having a shot at them, or the game would crash every time you tried to sign anyone.

For Pauly Boy, don't listen to the angry people here or the gushing suck ups over at BigAnt and just go and have a look at the pro reviews. They give you a fair idea of where this game ranks; IGN and Gamespot give it a 7 and a 6.5 respectively, and that to me feels about right
It's broken because it doesn't play like a league game. It's impossible to make metres, the only half chance you have of doing so is through 'jungle ball' which is unrealistic.

It's just boring as shit.

That bug isn't hilarious and it's not what I'm talking about. The career mode just has no reason to keep playing it after a while, there are just way too many flaws with it. I also have to laugh at your justification of how career mode isn't broken, now that's hilarious.

The game is poor, I hope a patch can fix it's problems as I'd gladly play it but it's been almost half a year and all we have is Ross being a merkin.

Also what are these 'quirks' you speak of? Annoying things that ruin the game? geniused gameplay elements?

RoosTah

Juniors
It's broken because it doesn't play like a league game. It's impossible to make metres, the only half chance you have of doing so is through 'jungle ball' which is unrealistic.

Mate, again this just isn't what "broken" means... when you say a mechanic in something is broken it means "make or become inoperative" - not "isn't a true reflection of how it should function."

Moving on though, with regard to "juggle" (I assume jungle was a typo) and making meters, well every footy game that's been released for both League and Union have had unrealistic forward play that has always encouraged unrealistic levels of passing.

All the same, I actually find I can use forward in this game better than others I've played. Using the hit-ups trigger, you get flattened for a little while, but as fatigue sets in you start beating guys and can get away good offloads etc.

That bug isn't hilarious and it's not what I'm talking about.
In the post I was replying to that was precisely what you referenced though.

The career mode just has no reason to keep playing it after a while, there are just way too many flaws with it. I also have to laugh at your justification of how career mode isn't broken, now that's hilarious.

Also what are these 'quirks' you speak of? Annoying things that ruin the game? geniused gameplay elements?

This is what I mean about people on here, you all get so worked up over this.

You're "laughing at" my justification for how career mode isn't broken because... well you never really say.

For the record, I said it wasn't broken because by definition it isn't. It works; you can take a team through multiple premierships, and hire and fire players along the way whilst managing sponsors etc.

Sure, it doesn't function as it should because it has a bug in it that allows you to offer players whatever you want, but that bug hasn't "broken" the career mode by any reasonable definition of the word.

RoosTah

Juniors
RLL2 shits on this one from a great height.

A few of you have said this, but as someone who has both games I gotta ask how RLL2 is better?

I liked RLL2, but remember plenty of people hating on that game pretty massively too in spite of it being a huge improvement over the clearly half finished job that was RLL1.

I actually remember the exact same thing happening with Sidhe with Rugby League 2 - it was a great improvement over their first game, but some people got so pissed off about it and bagged it all to hell and said the first game was way better (even though it was more or less just the same game with shitter graphics and less modes).

What specifically about RLL2 makes it a vastly superior game to one that plays virtually identically only has better graphics and players who no longer have feel like their stuck on train tracks when you train change direction? What does it have that this game doesn't?

I suspect when RLL4 comes out people will be losing their crap about that game too and talking about how much better RLL3 was.

Last edited:
Mate, again this just isn't what "broken" means... when you say a mechanic in something is broken it means "make or become inoperative" - not "isn't a true reflection of how it should function."

Moving on though, with regard to "juggle" (I assume jungle was a typo) and making meters, well every footy game that's been released for both League and Union have had unrealistic forward play that has always encouraged unrealistic levels of passing.

All the same, I actually find I can use forward in this game better than others I've played. Using the hit-ups trigger, you get flattened for a little while, but as fatigue sets in you start beating guys and can get away good offloads etc.

In the post I was replying to that was precisely what you referenced though.

This is what I mean about people on here, you all get so worked up over this.

You're "laughing at" my justification for how career mode isn't broken because... well you never really say.

For the record, I said it wasn't broken because by definition it isn't. It works; you can take a team through multiple premierships, and hire and fire players along the way whilst managing sponsors etc.

Sure, it doesn't function as it should because it has a bug in it that allows you to offer players whatever you want, but that bug hasn't "broken" the career mode by any reasonable definition of the word.
The game just doesn't play well. There's no structure to it at all, I redownloaded it before and deleted it again after an hour. The game is broken because when trying to make metres you'll see a gap and almost get through it but a defender will magically float towards you. The passing is just off, defending is boring and unrealistic when you see Johnathan Thurston smash through players like JWH and Cordner.

Jungle ball is a reference to the way Warriors play footy, it's a semi-racist term in a way. All games may have had this but at least in RLL3 it is the only way to make metres, you play one out footy and you'll end up making 15m in the whole set.

Career mode is unrealistic, if you have the halves set on anything above 10 minutes you start seeing a scores of 64-32 and wingers get the Dally M more often then not. Also when buying players you seem to have an endless amount of Salary Cap you can offer about 15 different guys $500k and you'll get them all. Also by making you have to go into your lineup before every game is annoying. You'll accidentally simulate your lineup selection and you'll have random players instead of the ones you want. Not to mention who they choose is geniused, I had Stapleton, Meehan and a randomly generated player in my side instead of Jennings, Moa and Cordner. The career mode may not be broken but it's so poorly done with design choices that are so questionable it boggles the mind as to why they were implemented in the game.

Also the rating system for players is the dumbest I've seen in a sports game. Why not just let us choose the individual stats? Instead of having like 5 you can alter that determine the rest?

This game is the very definition of lazy developing.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I don't feel like the game rewards skill - the other day, I made a break with Radradra, and JWH chased him down...

RoosTah

Juniors
The game just doesn't play well. There's no structure to it at all, I redownloaded it before and deleted it again after an hour. The game is broken because when trying to make metres you'll see a gap and almost get through it but a defender will magically float towards you. The passing is just off, defending is boring and unrealistic when you see Johnathan Thurston smash through players like JWH and Cordner.

I can't say I've experienced either of these to be honest. From my experience of it passing works just fine and is better than it was in terms of targeting players than most other footy games I've played with the possible exception of Rugby '08, which utilised some of EA's more advanced tech and had the best offloads system I've come across.

Agree with you about small guys hammering big guys, but that's also something that has been almost universal in these games, and was definitely worse under Sidhe.

Jungle ball is a reference to the way Warriors play footy, it's a semi-racist term in a way. All games may have had this but at least in RLL3 it is the only way to make metres, you play one out footy and you'll end up making 15m in the whole set.

Using dummy half runs and hit ups I generally make between 30-50 meters in a lot of sets after about the 20 minute mark (game time - I play 20 min matches). But early in the game they don't let you make many metres.

Career mode is unrealistic, if you have the halves set on anything above 10 minutes you start seeing a scores of 64-32 and wingers get the Dally M more often then not. Also when buying players you seem to have an endless amount of Salary Cap you can offer about 15 different guys $500k and you'll get them all. Also by making you have to go into your lineup before every game is annoying. You'll accidentally simulate your lineup selection and you'll have random players instead of the ones you want. Not to mention who they choose is geniused, I had Stapleton, Meehan and a randomly generated player in my side instead of Jennings, Moa and Cordner. The career mode may not be broken but it's so poorly done with design choices that are so questionable it boggles the mind as to why they were implemented in the game.

Fair enough. My experience hasn't been like that and I play longer than 10 mins, but I do generally like to try play it like real footy and use hit-ups more and grind my way into games before I start spreading it.

The player acquisition thing is a pretty silly screw-up and I don't know how they missed it, but it didn't really ruin my experience as you can just offer them something in their range. It's not terribly realistic, but I've yet to play a League or Union game with anything half-way comprehensive (Rugby '08 had a serviceable career mode, but it wasn't anything close to realistic).

I tend to auto generate my sides a fair bit too, but I haven't had the same issues you had for whatever reason; the side tends to be reasonably accurate in my experience.

Anyway though, I think we can probably say we disagree on this one.

I reckon it's a solid game. It has it's issues and it's not brilliant, but it's solid and I have gotten my fair share of fun out of it.

In an ideal world the NRL would sign some contract with EA and get them to have their Madden team produce an awesome NRL game for $20 million and the NRL could just write it off as part of their advertising bill. It would be a heck of a smart way to advertise the sport in my view, but no one important seems to agree, so for now we're gonna have to just deal with the fact our sports games will all be pretty low budget until our population swells to about 10 times its current size.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I may just add that some of the player likeness is laughable, as with stats.

I know we have fanhub(which is, to be fair a fantastic addition), but is it upto the playerbase to do this?

Parra Pride

Referee
You want something that really is broken? The Be a Pro mode. Playing as a fullback, if I'm not playing like I'm Jarryd Hayne at his very best for every single second of a game I get subbed off and on four or five times in a game... A fullback, getting subbed four or five times in a game, yeah that's definitely an intended feature, mimics real life perfectly. Oh, and the scores that take place while you are off the field are stupidly unrealistic, it's not uncommon for teams to score thirty or more points in the span of about five minutes. Now, if you are extra unlucky like I was, you will get subbed off during golden point in a finals game, then it will end in a draw... A draw, in finals footy, this completely kills your career as you can't progress pass that point any more. Game isn't broken, though, just has it's quirks.

RoosTah

Juniors
You want something that really is broken? The Be a Pro mode. Playing as a fullback, if I'm not playing like I'm Jarryd Hayne at his very best for every single second of a game I get subbed off and on four or five times in a game... A fullback, getting subbed four or five times in a game, yeah that's definitely an intended feature, mimics real life perfectly. Oh, and the scores that take place while you are off the field are stupidly unrealistic, it's not uncommon for teams to score thirty or more points in the span of about five minutes. Now, if you are extra unlucky like I was, you will get subbed off during golden point in a finals game, then it will end in a draw... A draw, in finals footy, this completely kills your career as you can't progress pass that point any more. Game isn't broken, though, just has it's quirks.

Never actually tried Be a Pro mode, because it boors the heck out of me even in well funded sports games. Seriously, why anyone would want to just play as one guy in the team in a video game unless you're playing some crazy multiplayer thing where all your mates have control of the other guys just makes no sense to me.

I'll take your word for it that it sucks though.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Pity any fool that spends money on this game. It is broken - Roostah just doesn't quite understand what the word means and prefers to define it incredibly narrowly.

Parra Pride

Referee
Never actually tried Be a Pro mode, because it boors the heck out of me even in well funded sports games. Seriously, why anyone would want to just play as one guy in the team in a video game unless you're playing some crazy multiplayer thing where all your mates have control of the other guys just makes no sense to me.

I'll take your word for it that it sucks though.

It's the only mode I'm really interested in playing in most sports games, had to put up with it not being in previous League games, and was excited to see it in RLL3 only to go away being left extremely disappointed by what I was given.

As for why? It's really fun taking one playing to be the best in the league. Don't have to try and jack up unrealistic stats in an NBA MyCareer game to get adequate game time, though.

I know we have fanhub(which is, to be fair a fantastic addition), but is it upto the playerbase to do this?

Lazy ass developers making their job a little easier by having the fans do the hard work of actually making the players look like who they should. These are the same lazy developers who couldn't even be bothered to take Vossy saying "The French" and chopping off "The" to use it as a surname, instead anyone with the last name "French" is referred to as "The French". Lazy as f**k.

Last edited:

RoosTah

Juniors
Pity any fool that spends money on this game. It is broken - Roostah just doesn't quite understand what the word means and prefers to define it incredibly narrowly.

I just define it by what it means. Namely that something doesn't work. I've played plenty of games of RLL3 and each time I've been able to run, pass, tackle, offload, kick etc etc etc. Basically, I can play the thing, and if I can play the thing it ain't broken by definition.

It may not work perfectly, but that's just not the same thing as being broken, which is more a histrionic and hyperbolic response from people who're seriously angry about the game for some reason.

Latest posts