What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Live - PS3 and XB360

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
Got the game yesterday. Really enjoying it. Best game play since ET's Rugby League :)

Like everyone is saying, doesn't have the customization features that previous versions had, but in general, a good improvement.

Get out and support it guys!

Geohood

Bench
I honestly cant believe you would consider the game play perfect!

Noone said its perfect and theres so much depth that can be added into the gameplay but I like the fact that you need to be on your game and play with some vision and timing to be able to play the game. Theres plenty of negatives of course but the game is a real arm wrestle on medium (hard is apparently easier?) and theres a joy when you pull something off that I just havn't found in past games where it is just too easy. I don't think someone can play this game like you would in past league games and be successful.. you need to play smart.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Noone said its perfect and theres so much depth that can be added into the gameplay but I like the fact that you need to be on your game and play with some vision and timing to be able to play the game. Theres plenty of negatives of course but the game is a real arm wrestle on medium (hard is apparently easier?) and theres a joy when you pull something off that I just havn't found in past games where it is just too easy. I don't think someone can play this game like you would in past league games and be successful.. you need to play smart.

Firstly the reason why this game is such an arm wrestle is cause the game is crap, honestly not every game should be an arm wrestle...

I keep referring to Jonah Lomu Rugby, an example from a game released over 10 years ago.

If I play with Japan against Australia...I will struggle, the teams are separated by a massive margin and you understand why when players make a break and your stuck 20 metres away unable to keep up. Or when there forwards just roll over the top and maintain possession.

That there is an example as to how it should be..the game shouldnt be an arm wrestle based on poor programing.

The greatest aspect of league is the speed of the game..This isnt fast at all, the play the ball is crap, the passing speed is no where near anything resembling league and every player that gets in a gap will run off like a horse.

This game is focused on defense and at the same time they have provided very little forward momentum for the offense, they basically made each team play terrible in attack but somehow defend like robots.

Honestly guys just play Jonah Lomu Rugby and see how fast that game is, see how everything flows and how it all seems constant.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
I loved Jonah Lomu Rugby. I must've played close to a thousand games on that. We used to keep track of results, at one point I went 177 games undefeated then my mate beat me by diving for the line 15 metres out when it was snowing. Memories.

beave

Coach
Dont bother buying it, it's f**king terrible.

If you boys like it, more props to you but IMO it's utter rubbish. It's just RL2 with a couple of little added differences in the control, nothing has improved at all.

The graphics, woeful.

The Sound woeful. It sounds like Voss was recorded on some old school tape recorder and they've put it on the game in some mono format.

Gameplay, meh. Slow play the balls are driving me up the walls. Good luck trying to gain meterage with the forwards.

I wish I could take it back but JB dont do refunds, might hit up EB to see if I can do a trade in. I can't believe I just got burnt for a 3rd time by these piece of sh*t footy games, never again. Apologies if this is basic and to the point but I can't be f**ked typing a big review as I am pretty wild I just got ripped off again.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
I honestly cant believe you would consider the game play perfect!

So far it has been for me. Are you xbox? I am no problems so far when and Where I want to pass it goes there. Unlike the other games you can't do 40/20's at will or put it out off the kick off. You don't hold the oponent down they get a quick play the ball your off side. Also Fullbacks you can use not stand 20m behind the play.

So far it has been for me. Are you xbox? I am no problems so far when and Where I want to pass it goes there. Unlike the other games you can't do 40/20's at will or put it out off the kick off. You don't hold the oponent down they get a quick play the ball your off side. Also Fullbacks you can use not stand 20m behind the play.
40/20s were too easy in RL 2 and offsides from quick play the balls were all too regular.

Coaster

Bench
I got the game yesterday, only played a couple of games so far.

This is where i think the developers made a massive mistake.
I will allow others to pick on gameplay and bugs etc, personally its not as bad as some make out, where i think you should have spent some serious time, and it looks to me you have spent none, was the crowd.

Each team has select bunch of supporters that should have been included, it is these little things that change a game from decent to fantastic and make the game personal to the people that are buying them.

Eg:
For Stg games "The GST Banner" and Stg Flags
The Sharks crowds one arm salute while goal kicking
The Titans Drums under the northern goal posts.
The Bell at the Storm games
The Burrow
The Kennel

The one thing i want to feel is atmosphere, we all go to these stadiums, we are part of this game, are you selling this to us or to Scott Prince?

Coaster

Bench
Mate it is about selling the game, as it stands it is a cheap remake of version 2. How many will buy version 4?

The developers need to change the way they are thinking, and refine the detail of not only the players but also the crowds, stadium, and atmosphere.

It may sound like a little thing, but IMO these little things that make a game more realistic help people overlook other little things that make the game unrealistic.

Eg: Fight Night, this game uses early fights in small low crowded Gyms, as the game progresses the stages get bigger, the crowd become more vocal, the atmosphere changes.

Maddin tried this with the Fan maker, it makes the person feel apart of the game.

Dont get me wrong this should all come behind gameplay, but it also needs to be implemented, they seem to have spent so much time trying to get players to look like there counterparts, that the kids that will buy the thing and be hooked into the franchise have been left out.

Anyway my point is more based on a marketing perspective, this company needs more resources to improve this franchise IMO, because as it stands it looks amateur

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
personally Ive been saying as long as the game play is fine then it doesnt matter about the outside aspects..we can obtain that in the next version. Although now we have a game that really hasnt improved much since RL 1.

Yes I know it is a new developer but it is obvious that they used the work SIDHE have done.

They can change developers all they want but you can only re-coat crap so many ways and in the end it is still crap. At least copy a game that is decent!

This game does not have any flow or anything. Honestly I think it is by far the worst game ive played since RL 2!

The graphics looked terrible, the game play was worse..the sound is the worst vossy and the three people in the grandstand..lets not forget bill harrigan.

Forget the graphics, make something simple but at least aim at gameplay...bloody hell Lomu rugby got it right. Also what about about those rugby games from EA.

Best thing I did was return this game.

Sleep

Juniors
I'm not surprised the bad reviews it's getting. I was never going to pick it up. Until the rights are picked up by decent developers, this is what you'll get.

I can only imagine how good a Rugby League game could be if someone like EA Sports picked up the rights.

Sadly, it's a very slim chance of happening.

Geohood

Bench
Starting to enjoy things such as being able to chip and chase properly, grubbering and chasing properly, time passes properly to put players into holes, fending off players then getting away offloads.. I'm finding it alot more enjoyable than past games. I urge people to try playing without not giving it a shot based on negative reviews.

Latest posts