What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Live - PS3 and XB360

cracked

Juniors
I can tell you now the engine they are using is the PhyreEngine

Cool to hear from someone who *actually* knows something - at least you can google PhyreEngine and see that Big Ant indeed use it, that it isn't generic, and is made by Sony in London for the PS3.

pfffttt.... "fire" - like I said, looks like someone heard something from someone but really didn't "get it"...

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Cool to hear from someone who *actually* knows something - at least you can google PhyreEngine and see that Big Ant indeed use it, that it isn't generic, and is made by Sony in London for the PS3.

pfffttt.... "fire" - like I said, looks like someone heard something from someone but really didn't "get it"...

Sorry I had the incorrect spelling for it, it is pronounced "Fire", I apologise for not seeing it written on a piece of paper :lol:. The engine itself is basically a free to use engine designed as a "base" for PS3 and other platform development. It is "generic" because the engine isn't targeted at any game type/genre as a result it's not optimized for many game specific tasks, which there is nothing wrong with if you have a large team to customise it to work with your desired project... Big Ant don't. You can google the term generic if you don't understand it's meaning. With the exception of the GRID and Dirt games by codemasters which is a HEAVILY customised engine, there isn't exactly a plethora of quality games that have used this engine, and certainly none that fall into the "sporting" genre with which the game logic is certainly a unique set.

I've seen the original models for players in the game they are almost photo-realistic, then I've seen the massive sacrifices they had to make with the poly counts for the engine to not fall over.

You think other people coming on here and giving evidence supporting everything I say is an insult? You're a bit simple aren't you kid.

The only reason you're getting your panties in a knot is that I'm proving that I actually have knowledge on the topic and I'm not saying it's going to be awesome.

Last edited:

cracked

Juniors
you would have known it was Phyre not Fire if you knew anything - even you say you "heard" it, not know it - everything you say is second hand... and, dare i say it yet again - OLD - you don't have contacts and can't get updates, period.

just another wanna-be game developer.... I'm sure you'll get a QA job one day....

Firey_Dragon

Coach
you would have known it was Phyre not Fire if you knew anything - even you say you "heard" it, not know it - everything you say is second hand... and, dare i say it yet again - OLD - you don't have contacts and can't get updates, period.

just another wanna-be game developer.... I'm sure you'll get a QA job one day....

It came out of his mouth as "Fire", do you ask for the spelling of everything you hear? I guess you probably do because it sounds like you're borderline mentally challenged.

You must have missed the part where I said I met him while working for THQ in the US a few years ago. For the record, no I'm not a game developer, nor do I want to be one, I've been there done that... The money is in enterprise development, which is what I currently do ;-)

I must be crazy for not wanting to 100+ hour weeks and on less than $150k even if you are at the top of the development pecking order. Go figure

Paullyboy

Coach
I know nothing about games/developers/any of this crap you lot are on about, what I do know is that you guys take this stuff far too seriously.

Zigwaa

Bench
...like an arrow through the heart :(

you've just killed off my hopes..... :fist:

f**k me if someone working on it is embarressed.....

anyone rememebr the old EA versions of rugby league on the megadrive? i used to love running into the posts to ehar the noise and see the player go flying backwards.

i used to play teamates with my brother id run backwards holding the kick button, he'd go sprinting up field and i'd boot it to him. since the comp didnt seem to recognise offsides this was a greatw ay to advance up field :p

Yeah I loved that game! And my favourite part of it was the hitting the post part too. Run into it, donk and "awwwww".

I was playing the wii rl3 and was saying to myself after the ball hit the post, i wish you get smashed by the post like in arl 96 hahaha

cracked

Juniors
I hope you two are both under 16. If not I am embarrassed for you...

I might be only just 16 but I know a bullsh*tter when I see one!

Firey_Dragon has traded off one piece of info he overheard a year ago and since I found him out he's been backtracking ever since - nothing new in anything he's posted....

weststigerman

Juniors

Firey_Dragon has traded off one piece of info he overheard a year ago and since I found him out he's been backtracking ever since - nothing new in anything he's posted....

Fair enough mate, but let it go. It's not worth wasting time on.

People come to this thread to read about new info on the new rugby league game.

Ghoulies

Bench

You da man.

Nugby

Juniors
I don't get why some little dickhead would create an account purely to hassle a bloke about a game he saw an early version of a year ago on a Rugby League forum, but jeez.

Thanks Firey, heard BigAnt was doing it and recognised it was the game you were talking about at the time.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
i still pull out rugby league 2 on occassion... despite the gameplay hardly resembling a game of rugby league at all. i'll buy this

Ausguy

Coach
OK back onto the discussion about the actual game...

some things i hope are included are.... (not specific features as i believe going after franchise mode in a new game is a sure way to fail)

I Want...

- Player Physics and Field attributes.... SOOOOOOOOOOOOO important... if the players move realsitically quick without 'gliding' that is a huge bonus. To achieve the real feel of the game and take away the arcadey feel its important to have everything to scale eg the filed needs to look much bigger than the players cos in real life it is.... a player should not only just miss the crossbar when they run under it... and it should take the quickest player 12 seconds to run from one end to the other... get my drift??

- Ball Physics - just as important as above.... i dont want predicted and or slow bouncing of the ball... make it erratic as it should be...

- Correct ules and calling of the rules - its the only way to make it realistic...

I could go on but if i got the above 3 things i could and would be able to play this for longer than i ever played RL 1 and 2...

thoughts?

If you look at the pics you can see the ball in this game is the same size as an AFL ball but with a League ball skin on it lol.

This game is going to be very basic and arcadey with not much depth, much like the previous games. I'd be very surprised if it had any form of gameplay depth outside of what has allready been done. I just hope they don't do it worse.

For me, if the gameplay is on par or better than RL3 and if the online is good and lag free, this may well be the only game I'll ever need until Rugby 2012 next year.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
You would think the NRL would want to get on board and maybe help out a little bit financially...
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

if you really are from france then your suggestion isnt as funny, but the NRL have enough trouble not f**king the product they already have without spending more money

perverse

Referee
to be honest, Napolean has a valid point. a genuine hit video game would be quite a coup for the sport in general. the trick isn't to get the die hard fans to buy it, the trick is getting the casuals, or even non-fans of the sport to give it a go. only die hards will buy a mediocre/average title... but most gamers, both casual and hardcore, will give a AAA title that has gotten rave reviews a crack. plenty of people who have little interest in soccer play FIFA, ditto gridiron and Madden. i know, because i'm one of them.

it's also a great entry point into learning the rules of the game, etc. i would know stuff all about gridiron if it weren't for Madden.

the NRL should have quite a vested interest in making current gen Rugby League titles that kick arse.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Yep that is very true. And not just for the Australian market. If it were truly a good game that represented Rugby League well it could boom in the UK and possibly elsewhere.

Unfortunately we're gonna have to put up with most likely one of the lowest budget next gen titles that will only appeal to the hardcore looking for a RL gaming fix.

perverse

Referee
nonsense. anyone reasonably well versed in the english language can tell the difference between Phyre and Fire when spoken out loud.

:lol: