What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumour: Sam Williams signed for 2 years a

possm

Coach
Look if you want to replace Soward in 2013 with a five-eighth that runs to the line and can kick in general play as well as for goal, King is our man.

It might be that is destiny is at hooker but our problem is at five-eighth and until we sign a half or five-eighth for this year, I believe we should slot King at 6.

If for some reason we don't sign a half / five-eighth for 2014, and we haven't as yet, then at least he has had some good experience behind him for next year. I really believe that he and Widdop would make a fine pairing.

In addition it might be just the opportunity to slot Garvey into the hooker rotation with Rein. I think it would be a great move giving him experience for next year. At some stage in the future we will have to choose between Garvey and Cook and so this is now a great opportunity to look at Garvey.

watatank

Coach
Short sighted. King is the best 9 at the club. If we don't recognise that then some other club will. Moving him to 6/7 as a stop gap screws up further with his development (and he's missed enough time as it is) won't be enough for us to keep him.

possm

Coach
Extend his contract now. After that 80min at 6 would be just what he needs to improve his skills. It won't cause any loss of development but may make him a very versatile and valuable player for the Dragons.

Steelman

Juniors
For those of you who are unaware King was a 5/8 before being moved to hooker. Im not saying he should be moved back to 5/8 because i think he has the makings of a great hooker im just throwing it out there..;-)

watatank

Coach
For those of you who are unaware King was a 5/8 before being moved to hooker. Im not saying he should be moved back to 5/8 because i think he has the makings of a great hooker im just throwing it out there..;-)

I'm aware of it, doesn't change my point.

It won't cause any loss of development but may make him a very versatile and valuable player for the Dragons.

He's already a versatile player. He will be a more valuable player when he has more minutes at 9 than he will be at 6. And as for not losing anything in terms of development, I suppose there's no difference between defending in the middle of the field and next to a centre? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

st.phil

Bench
So Steelman...you seem to have the good oil here...is Williams gonna be here this year? Could be wishful thinking but Price squirmed in his seat a little when asked if stanley / fein would be halves combo for rest of the year...

Mattc

Juniors
I agree with not playing King at 6.
However, I think he can stay on the field with Rein.
A sort of more creative Dean Young.
I think a player of his ability is wasted playing 40 odd minutes in the hooker rotation.
By resigning Rein, the club has shown he will be around for a while to come.
King had the ability to play dummy half, and as a running player.
We need to use it.

possm

Coach
We have a 6 signed for next year. Why confuse things?

Widdop can play 6 or 7. We don't have a decent 7 signed for this year or next year.

In replacing Chase Stanley with King this year, it means that we could hit the ground running next year if we don't sign Rangi Chase or another top line 6 or 7. And after seeing Garvey at work and given that Rein's contract has just be extended, I think we should use time this year to give Garvey some experience in the NRL. Who knows, he might be even better than King. I have great wraps on Garvey.

If the Dragons do sign Rangi Chase or another top line 6 or 7 - not Williams - then we might even see a King / Garvey hooker rotation with Rein being a backup hooker.

Last edited:

Minh

First Grade
King should be playing 50 to 60 minutes per game with Rien at about 20 to 30 minutes in the hooker rotation.

st.phil

Bench
Possm whats your beef with williams? In spite of your preference...he is far more likely to be in the V than Rangi... you should start coming to grips with that.

I reckon just throw the jerseys into a lucky dip and see who gets what and go from there.
Geez, Price will end up in the grandstand watching like the rest of us if he listens to some of the drivel being sprouted here.

possm

Coach
Possm whats your beef with williams? In spite of your preference...he is far more likely to be in the V than Rangi... you should start coming to grips with that.

To be honest, we have several prospects for halfback in the NYC and Cutters. What we need is a top line halfback or five-eighth.

To me signing Williams is like signing another Drinkwater. Signing Rangi Chase is signing a rep halfback.

The only advantage of Williams over Chase is the price tag. But we want someone who can deliver the goods, not someone who has the potential to deliver the goods.

There is no off season to test these guys. We are halfway through the season and I believe with Rangi Chase, we may against all odds make a good tilt at making the 8 - bounce of the ball, lots of luck and team belief.

Price likes his 6 and 7 to run to the line. That's what Rangi Chase does in spades.

bottle

Coach
Williams demonstrated the goods admirably for the Raiders in their finals appearances last year. For some reason he's been off the boil a little this year.
A change could be what he needs to reinvigorate his form, ala Inu.

Steelman

Juniors
So Steelman...you seem to have the good oil here...is Williams gonna be here this year? Could be wishful thinking but Price squirmed in his seat a little when asked if stanley / fein would be halves combo for rest of the year...

St Phil

Rangi Chase was and is the dragons first choice they have tried to negotiate deals with him on a couple of occasions but there are some problems which have been well documented.

As a result of these frustrations the dragons opened negotications the Williams management and im lead to believe have gone after him quite aggressively, but there is also strong interest from Penrith...

As ive stated before Rangi is still on the radar who knows we might end up with both...:oops:

TheRev

Coach
The need for a goalkicker is above all else in my opinion (and the reason to consider King to 5/8 if Williams isnt coming), its actually something I have always hated about Rugby League (probably because we havent had a good kicker since Chook Heron), that you score a magnificent try for 4 points, and some spaz like El Masri who can kick gets half of that for doing virtually nothing.

They really should make Goalkicks worth 1 point or Tries worth 6 or something to put the value onto actual football and not goalkicking.. likewise with Golden Point.. We have struggled for a few years now even with Sowie who isnt a top tier kicker... matching oppositions for tries (if not winning), but still losing due to goalkicking... its incredibly frustrating.

A good goal-kicker is worth 4-6 points a game on average, its not something you can afford to go without, to put it in perspective, its about equal to the impact Dugen has had to our team since he joined.

Father Ted

First Grade
St Phil

Rangi Chase was and is the dragons first choice they have tried to negotiate deals with him on a couple of occasions but there are some problems which have been well documented.

As a result of these frustrations the dragons opened negotications the Williams management and im lead to believe have gone after him quite aggressively, but there is also strong interest from Penrith...

As ive stated before Rangi is still on the radar who knows we might end up with both...:oops:

What if we don't get either? This will be the longest thread about nothing yet lol. Hi Jerry , Hi Kramer

Latest posts