What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumour Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LESStar58

Referee
Anthony Quinn ---> Melbourne Storm :clap:

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/news/leagu...to-storm-stocks/2006/06/09/1149815318224.html

Quinn set to add depth to Storm stocks
Email Print Normal font Large font Stathi Paxinos and Brett Keeble
June 10, 2006
Page 1 of 2 | Single page
Advertisement
Advertisement

MELBOURNE Storm is poised to add Country Origin winger Anthony Quinn to its classy back line with the 23-year-old from Newcastle set to sign a deal understood to be worth about $700,000 for the next three seasons.

It is a sign that second-placed Storm (9-3), which plays the struggling Parramatta (13th, 3-9) tomorrow, is looking to deepen its stocks that have been exposed by suspension, injury and representative commitments this year, with several back-line members coming off contract at the end of this season.

Quinn's current team the Knights made it clear he was not a retention priority under new coach Brian Smith and the former Australian schoolboys representative met Storm coach Craig Bellamy, who coached him in the Country Origin side this year, and other officials in Melbourne on Thursday.

It is believed St George Illawarra is among several other clubs also interested in signing the stocky workhorse but Quinn said no other meetings had been arranged for this weekend when the Knights have the bye.

Quinn, who made his representative debut this year and impressed Bellamy at Country Origin camp, hoped to complete negotiations before Newcastle's next round game against the Warriors in Auckland.

He has played 90 first-grade games since making his NRL debut in 2002 and his likely departure means the Knights will lose both their first-choice wingers at the end of the season as Great Britain vice-captain Brian Carney is headed for the new Gold Coast team.

Looks like the fallout from hiring Smith at Newie is starting to show. He'll bring a few Parra players with him.

What a set of outside backs next year!

1. Ingliss
2. Geyer
3. King
4. Slater
5. Quinn

Wonder what this means for Storm signing Mad Dog McDougall. Maybe a 1 year incentive based contract a la Chris Walker?

LESStar58

Referee
David Kidwell ----> South Sydney :(

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/h...he-ball-rolling/2006/06/08/1149359883476.html

DAVID Kidwell may follow his New Zealand teammate Nigel Vagana to South Sydney next season, with the Melbourne forward scheduled to meet Rabbitohs officials today.

Just 24 hours after Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court officially gained control of the battling club, Souths yesterday announced the appointment of the Australian cricket team's long-serving physiotherapist Errol Alcott to the newly created position of athletic performance director and are believed to have secured the services of Vagana.

The Kiwi captain in last month's Anzac Test is understood to have agreed to a three-year deal worth about $1 million and the Rabbitohs hope the Cronulla centre's presence will help attract other players.

Kidwell, one of six players who share the skipper's role at the Storm, was yesterday named as a captaincy candidate for the New Zealand team to play Great Britain on June 29 and, like Vagana, Souths are interested in the 29-year-old back-rower for his leadership skills as well as his footballing ability.

While contracted with Melbourne until the end of next season, Kidwell has been given permission to negotiate with rival clubs before the June 30 anti-tampering deadline.

"I love Melbourne, I wanted to stay at Melbourne and I always thought I'd finish my career here … but obviously they [the Storm] have got other plans so I have to move on," Kidwell said yesterday. "In some ways they're trying to look after me. If I'm able to get another three years [at another club] it would be my own good luck, really."

Big Mick

Referee
I reckon Knights would be cheering Quinn is leaving.

Gives that Uate kid a chance to play first grade next year. He's a flyer

macavity

Referee
bloody hope not. besides Hindy, Tahu and Grothe there are no Eels players we would want.

maybe Widders but backrow is our strongest spot.

you are welcome to Reynoldson, Tanner and Carmont though, and they are 3 of Hages faves......

macavity

Referee
as for quinn, he will be missed but we cant go close to matching that for a winger.

the biggest loss for us from the start of the Smith era is Daisy so far... but I can't help but think the same sort of cultural problems that ando/cronulla had might happen here also.

problem is we already have a winning (no choking) culture.....

Vicious

Bench
Nigel Vagana, Hutch Maiava, David Kidwell and Awen Guttenbeil all to Souths.

Is it South Sydney or the New Zealand over 30`s???

Big Mick

Referee
I wouldn't thought he'd be leaving considering Quinn and possibly Adam MacDougall going down there...But then there is a possible shift with Inglis in the centres, and Webster more than likely to leave.

Their backline could look something like:
1. Slater, 2. Quinn, 3. MacDougall, 4. King 5. Geyer, 6. Inglis, 7. Cronk

Pretty good

Vicious

Bench
Big Mick © said:
I wouldn't thought he'd be leaving considering Quinn and possibly Adam MacDougall going down there...But then there is a possible shift with Inglis in the centres, and Webster more than likely to leave.

Their backline could look something like:
1. Slater, 2. Quinn, 3. MacDougall, 4. King 5. Geyer, 6. Inglis, 7. Cronk

Pretty good

I`d like to bet that the MacDougall brothers will both go to the same club???

Big Mick

Referee
probably...but wouldn't that mean that Geyer would NOT be in Melbourne next year. I'd hardly think Luke would make the trek down there if he wasn't gonna play first grade

Vicious

Bench
Big Mick © said:
probably...but wouldn't that mean that Geyer would NOT be in Melbourne next year. I'd hardly think Luke would make the trek down there if he wasn't gonna play first grade

I think there would be sides such as the Roosters, Newcastle, Penrith, Bulldogs, Sharks, Raiders, Cowboys, Titans, Warriors etc who would happily accomodate the 2 of them in 1st grade???

boonboon

Juniors
I am living down in Melbourne and while the Quinn rumours seems right, I dont think the McDougalls will be coming down

Melbourne Backlin
Inglis
Quinn
Slater
King
Geyer
Jackson Nicolau- all the rage as the storms next star he is only 19 and even their website has an article about him being 5/8 next year and probably getting a run later this year, with Crocker and Geyer covering the position, plus Chris Walker will stay and be reseve to the outside backs

Big Mick

Referee
i've read a lot about Jackson Nicolau...havn't seen him play, but from what i'm reading and what I hear from some of my melbourne supporter mates...he definately has a lot of class.

LESStar58

Referee
Forgot Nicolau's name but yeah, he's more than likely gonna be bought along as 5/8 in '07 and could see some first grade action before they year is out.

he'll do fine! O'Sullivan has his ear to the ground when it comes to spoting talent! I don't think he'd be having his name thrown around for such a key possie at pivot if they didn't think he was ready. Maybe it's a lot like what Bellamy did with ingliss last year; bringing him along slowly...

So...

1. Ingliss
2. Geyer
3. Slater
4. King
5. Quinn
6. Niccolau
7. Cronk

13. Johnson
12. Hoffman
11. Crocker
10. Crossman