What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumour Thread

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
It's strange it hasn't been reported yet, what's going on?

In hind sight it was not strange at all. Manly were aware of Hodkinson's departure on 24 May.

At this time they were negotiating a contract with DCE. If DCE knew that TH was leaving he would have asked for more $$. DCE deal was signed the friday before it was officially announced that TH was leaving.

The talk about increasing the offer with the increase in salary cap was all BS.

10/10 for strategy for MR. G. LOWE.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Meanwhile, Hokko kicks two field goals to win us a game. Very calm play. Can you imagine Orford potting even one of the two shots?

zombie jesus

Staff member
LOL you must have the memory of a gold fish. Orford kicked us to victories on a number of occasions, field goals, conversions, penalties... the lot.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Mate, you asked if anyone could imagine Orford kicking even one of those field goals, the answer is, we don't have to imagine it, he did it, in real life, in actual games, more than once!

He never kicked 2, that's your argument? :roll::lol:

I will tell what I don't have confidence in at the moment, Hodkinson laying on a try.

Scarves

Juniors
I recall a match at the SCG vs the old enemy where down 16 nothing we stormed home on the back of some inspired Orford play, he then polished off the performance with a late field goal winner. I also recall a match in 2007 vs Melbourne where the Storm were finishing fast but Orford again kicked the winning field goal.

All that choking stuff was garbage. Orford's premiership record is as good as or better than most other halfbacks barring Cooper Cronk. That young blokes like Jarrod Mullen played Origin ahead of Matt Orford during the period 2006-2008 where NSW needed players of experience has helped to cause the confusion and despair our selectors now find themselves in.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Some of you are very precious. I liked Orford, but he had about 10 years experience on what Hokko has. The point I'm making is, to kick 2 field goals back to back was a very experienced play. It was something I was never 'confident' Orford was capable of. He kicked us home in a few over 4 years with a top side.

Should he have been picked for the blues? Of course he should. He was picked and missed out due to injury too.

Orford was also on half a million per year, which is twice what the Dogs bought Hokko for.

The thing that annoys about Hokko going, (and its not that I think he is next Johns but he does have potential) we are back to another year of rebuilding again next year just like this one. If he was the number one choice for this year, we should have shoved a contract in his face before round 1 and told him sign it or DCE gets the shot.

Clearly some changes need to be made to ensure this doesn't happen again. Thankfully DCE is on a 3 or 4 year deal. But who is our backup now? We need one with a rookie half.

cupid

Juniors
I think we should try chasing Snowden, pretty sure he is off contract and is probably the best rising forward in the game, we also need some youth in our pack.

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
I love seeing Matai playing for the Eagles, maybe because of his ongoing injuries it may be worth letting him go, in saying that i would hate to see him playing against us!

You have hit it on the head. Matai has cried wolf too many times. Manly believe that he carries to big a risk to continue to pay him a big money.

nz eagle

Juniors
I dont think Manly would willingly let Matai go, we will only lose him if he wants to move for more money.