What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and TheRam's whinging XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

parra pete

Referee
Signing a contract these days is a waste of time.
Players ( and especially coaches) should be signed on a yearly basis only...Just my opinion...

Noise

Coach
Players ( and especially coaches) should be signed on a yearly basis only...Just my opinion...

At the moment probably less than 10% of players break contracts and swap teams. Under your system 100% of players would be eligible to swap teams at the end of each season making the off season a complete circus. If you think it's bad now wait until every single player was off contract at the same time!

Except for the fact that the vast majority of them run their course quite smoothly.

And most of those that don't are terminated quite happily by both sides, or by exercising rights under the contract.

What would the benefit be in signing one year contracts only?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Back in my day we didn't need these fancy bits of paper, or worse still PDFs.

A man took another man's word and if there were any issues they would strip down to their stubbies and singlets and have it out with each other. They would just use fists as well. None of these fancy sticks and rocks that came much later...

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I noticed with interest in particular on both sites how the big hitters played their part with the Jenkovic ( hold the H ) ... DA, BA, Bolous and Steve Sharps name have been mentioned in several posts but the 1 bloke who failed to get a mention was the 1 bloke who probably had more conversations with Isaac Moses during the process than anyone else and that's Peter Sharp....he is definitely our'go to' man amongst the player managers.

Well he is the Recruitment and retention officer isn't he?

lingard

Coach
Roberts is fast and uses his speed too get around players. Jennings is stronger and has better foot work and defense. I am not sure the talk as not in same level.
Roberts is in the Hiku-walker level at the moment. Flashier then Hiku but not as complete. Still not 100% convinced he will become a superstar.His attack is going around guys with speed. I don't see an excellent step or super power in his game.

I agree. One season of scoring a zillion tries through blistering speed does not make you a champion centre. Michael Jennings, on the other hand, is a champion centre. And it's been so long since we've had one.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I recall u saying to Maybe avenger, if you were hiku, would you rather play for a team run by Gus or DA, or something to that effect.

And I'd still love to have a guy of his caliber at our club I think he's built that club well..

lingard

Coach
Foran - 1.2 mill
Jennings 850k
WEatmough 700k
Norman 450k
Scott - 500K

thats 3.7 million on 5 players..... If believe papers.

Realistically, Norman's worth significantly more, Whatmough less.
Jennings, in theory (because he's not a 'spine' player), might be worth less than that. However, if we can continue to be shrewd and prudent about who we have in the hooker and fullback roles and keep bringing in good, reliable (or young, up-and-coming) but not champion players in those two positions, I think new can get away with having our three top paid players in the 7, 6 and 3 jumpers. It's just a different way of spreading your cap. Jennings plays more like a second five-eight in attack, anyway.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Shame he didn't do a good job when we missed out on hiku...

If we sign Hiku we don't get Jennings. Hiku is a winger that has the potential to play in the centres and at fullback whereas Jennings is an elite centre, the best in the game if you ask some.

IFR33K

Coach
I'm over the moon we signed Jennings. I just laugh when we miss out on a player who's fault it is then when we sign a player another dude gets the credit. Lol

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I'm over the moon we signed Jennings. I just laugh when we miss out on a player who's fault it is then when we sign a player another dude gets the credit. Lol

You should be blaming Arthur and Anderson for not getting Hiku, not Sharp. They have put limits as to what they'll pay for players and the most likely reason that we didn't get Hiku is because of that. If the offers were the same between the Eels and Panthers we more than likely get him.

lingard

Coach
Hes been one of the best ever at playing at a high level with injury. There's no doubt about that. That's the point I'm making about his history, not that he is injury prone.

But he's also one of the older players in the comp.

He's getting to the point where he will be having chronic issues, and presumably the drive may be tested to keep pushing through.

If he is going to miss a lot of games over the last three years and he's on big money, it becomes more of a pointed issue for our cap.

Anyway, it's very possible that neither him nor the club ever really intended him to play four years out.

Whatmough's age isn't the issue as much as the number of games he's played - approaching three hundred. Not too many players go much beyond that.

Stagger eel

Staff member
You should be blaming Arthur and Anderson for not getting Hiku, not Sharp. They have put limits as to what they'll pay for players and the most likely reason that we didn't get Hiku is because of that. If the offers were the same between the Eels and Panthers we more than likely get him.

From what I understand we had a budget with Hiku and stuck with it whilst the penny's came over the top on the 11th hour to nab him.. It worked out well

Just like when Titans manager Scott Clarke f**ked up on Roberts contract he saw the opportunity to get out and go where he really wanted to play footy, that also worked in our favour

As luck would have it we scored well and those at our joint capitalised on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts