What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and TheRam's whinging XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Because reportedly he was on huge money for that year, I recall it being widely reported his last year was a ridiculous amount of money due to the back ending of his contract.

So you assume we would have been happy to give him another four years of the same?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou still clinging blindly to the deluded belief that hoppa wasn't on massive money paid for by super coach Kearney despite the multiple articles by much better informed journalists to that effect.

'Clinging blindly'? Like your blind trust of tabloid hysteria over common sense and market forces?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think Watmough would be on 'massive' money for the next three seasons. Manly offered him a two year deal on top of last season on a reduced wage for the final two seasons. We offered him a 4 year deal, including last season which was the last seasons of a backloaded contact subsided by Manly. Meaning he got his last pay day by way of an extra seasons wage not a massive per year contract amount.

Exactly. His last big contract was last year, and it was subsidised by Manly. At his age nobody was going to pay him stupid money. The best he could hope for was a stupidly long contract, which he got.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hes been one of the best ever at playing at a high level with injury. There's no doubt about that. That's the point I'm making about his history, not that he is injury prone.

But he's also one of the older players in the comp.

He's getting to the point where he will be having chronic issues, and presumably the drive may be tested to keep pushing through.

If he is going to miss a lot of games over the last three years and he's on big money, it becomes more of a pointed issue for our cap.

Anyway, it's very possible that neither him nor the club ever really intended him to play four years out.

I agree he is likely to miss more and more games through injury, but this would be factored into his value. As would his anticipated declining performance.

Bigfella

Coach

I will gladly accept the reports from credible rugby league journalists over the guesses you make to support your bullshit theories.

I am more than happy to accept that:

1. Hoppa was on ridiculous money on his first contract, which was massive overs for what he produced and the positions he was capable of playing;
2. Watmough is very highly paid notwithstanding his contract being extended to a fourth year;
3. Market forces have far less relevance than you believe in a distorted marketplace like the NRL where there is a salary cap, limited positions, and emotional investment, all of which massively override pure market forces. Clubs pay overs regularly. You have said that yourself but are too intellectually dishonest to acknowledge that;
4. Your ridiculous claims about Hopoate are disguised as logic but are really just an attempt to deny the obvious: that he was possibly the worst ever signing by our worst ever coach and only still supported by the worst ever poster on these forums.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I noticed with interest in particular on both sites how the big hitters played their part with the Jenkovic ( hold the H ) ... DA, BA, Bolous and Steve Sharps name have been mentioned in several posts but the 1 bloke who failed to get a mention was the 1 bloke who probably had more conversations with Isaac Moses during the process than anyone else and that's Peter Sharp....he is definitely our'go to' man amongst the player managers.

Aren't Moses and Boulous cousins?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I will gladly accept the reports from credible rugby league journalists over the guesses you make to support your bullshit theories.

I am more than happy to accept that:

1. Hoppa was on ridiculous money on his first contract, which was massive overs for what he produced and the positions he was capable of playing;
2. Watmough is very highly paid notwithstanding his contract being extended to a fourth year;
3. Market forces have far less relevance than you believe in a distorted marketplace like the NRL where there is a salary cap, limited positions, and emotional investment, all of which massively override pure market forces. Clubs pay overs regularly. You have said that yourself but are too intellectually dishonest to acknowledge that;
4. Your ridiculous claims about Hopoate are disguised as logic but are really just an attempt to deny the obvious: that he was possibly the worst ever signing by our worst ever coach and only still supported by the worst ever poster on these forums.

I'm sure they were/are all on overs, but not at the ridiculous prices you're believing. And Sandow was our worst ever signing.

TheRam

Coach
Originally Posted by TheRam
I think he is an over rated player, mainly a fast hole runner, not much else,

Yes I said that and I still think that that is true. But he is a damn fine hole runner that knows how to use his speed both in attack and defense.

What I was referring to was the over the top praise he was receiving by some. He is a top line player, who can a times go missing, but in big games he generally stands up, which is what you want from one of your senior strike players.

He is a great signing and will only give us some real attacking strike besides Semi.

Bigfella

Coach
I'm sure they were/are all on overs, but not at the ridiculous prices you're believing. And Sandow was our worst ever signing.

Push the goal posts a bit harder they haven't moved enough.

What happened to "market forces" now?

What are these miraculous "ridiculous prices" you say I believe in?

Making more shit up now?

You are a bullshit artist of the highest order.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

The desirability of the club is a market force. I've never said otherwise.

All the ones sensationally reported in the media.

Making more shit up now?

No I'm refuting your bullshit.

EelsFan05

Bench

Making more shit up now?

All you have to do is add all of the 'reported figures' of players quoted by respected journalists to see that they are outrageous figures. They are created to sell papers. Massoud was on 7 News last night saying the Roosters have now made space to make their play at Hayne. He reported as if it was a fact. It's utter crap

HayneKloppter

Juniors
All you have to do is add all of the 'reported figures' of players quoted by respected journalists to see that they are outrageous figures. They are created to sell papers. Massoud was on 7 News last night saying the Roosters have now made space to make their play at Hayne. He reported as if it was a fact. It's utter crap

the reports today quoting the chooks state that they are making a play for a player to return and they believe SBW is most likely. they do not seem to indicate they're after both, just one or the other.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Exactly. The Roosters have only created space for this year, because this was the final year of Jennings' contract. Said contract was also probably subsidised (though not necessarily), plus they have added Copley (also probably-though-not-necessarily subsidised by his old club). How much space can they have created?

I assume if SKD gets locked up (or even just convicted) they can arsehole him on the spot for no payout. That combined with the space created from the Jennings/Copley swap might add up to a bit. There's also rumours that they want to front load contract extensions for key players such as Cordner and/or Hastings, which may also be true.

Gronk

Staff member
Originally Posted by TheRam
I think he is an over rated player, mainly a fast hole runner, not much else,

Yes I said that and I still think that that is true. But he is a damn fine hole runner that knows how to use his speed both in attack and defense.

What I was referring to was the over the top praise he was receiving by some. He is a top line player, who can a times go missing, but in big games he generally stands up, which is what you want from one of your senior strike players.

He is a great signing and will only give us some real attacking strike besides Semi.

googletnt2-o.gif

caylo

Bench
I was privileged to conversations with watmoughs partner who Indicated that prices quoted in the media to bd pretty accurate atleast for 15. It was insinuated that these prices extended into the later years too.
Could possibly be her overstating it, I didn't ask how much manly were paying out either or how much was cap relevant but I personallywould not have paid him that much. Either way it may have been a necessary evil and a move like this could be responsible for turning our club around

Stevie

Bench
Hey guys I have only seen a bit of Tyrell Fuimaono in some training videos and photos of late but geez he is an impressive looking athlete!!
Did he play Toyota Cup this year or for Wenty? Is he a genuine centre prospect for us in years to come? He is a mean looking mofo. Any information would be awesome about his strength and weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.