What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
I talked up Jerome Luai long before he made it to the NRL and many on here just didn’t see it.

It was long before Matt Burton emerged as a contender.

Jerome Luai is NRL quality there is no doubt about that he is just never going to be an elite player. Matt Burton on the other hand has shown that he is something more than just average, something more than just NRL quality he is potentially SOO or greater.

Burton is not dissimilar to Wade Graham, Wade was in and out of the team, no one quite knew whether he was a half, five eight or as things have turned out as representative back rower.

The current brains trust will not make the same mistake as Matt Elliot and his regime made in failing to recognise the raw talent regardless of what his best position may be.

Burton being so good doesn't make what you saw in Luai wrong.

I preferred and still do prefer Burton but Luai is working. If we get deep into the semis with Luai still doing what he is now.

Then he has locked it up barring injury. So then have 2 options keep Burton as a 5/8th only and he plays limited FG and eventually leaves... or you bulk him up and put him in the pack or in the centres or somewhere

Kilkenny

Coach
I think the majority of Panthers fans, greater than 50% majority supported Gus Gould even if it wasn’t a majority on here.

Gus is gone, rightly or wrongly, the only thing I will say, is if Gus was still here we wouldn’t having conversations around whether we will resign Crichton or Burton they would have already been locked up long term. Signed sealed and delivered. I don’t say this as a criticism of the current regime but Gus was pro active he got the job done even if you could argue now the long term deals dished out to many including RCG, Cartwright and a host of other’s didn’t work out for us. The only point I make is Crichton and Burton would be signed until 2024 if not longer pure and simple.

MugaB

Coach
Was listening to goulds podcast yesterday, i have to agree ith his comments around, signing players too young, we all want Burton to play 1st grade, but at the moment he needs to ease into it, no point shelling out a long term contract, and he gets burnt out like ash taylor, or milford.
He has talent, but as ivan pointed out he is still growing, maybe going forward keep him as a utility, for the remainder of this season before priming him for a specific spot, there was talks of the nathan cleary and jerome luai combination long before burton was around, and as jerome hadn't filled out yet, was held back over nathan, of which the coaching staff stated that jerome was the better talent out of those two, but nathan had grown out quicker than jerome had. I still believe jerome will be the 5/8th for penrith going forward, he has lots of similarities to preston campbells game and talent, zippy and skillful, where nathans more like gower, they compement each other in that respect.
As for burton, he has a steve carter like game about him, and as he was aggressive, quick and totally unpredictable, he can work as a lock forward if he bulks up more, which means all three can be on field next year, provided they are all fit,
As for Yeo, he has become this years leading lock, just below Radley for me and could easily bolster the blues if freddy choses him at years end, but he could easily be on the edge or front row, and still not miss a beat for us, if we look to not extend Tamou, i feel we might be heading that direction, more mobile props, and ball playing locks come 2021 onwards, all depends on how matt burtons attitude towards staying in the team learning as opposed to taking a ludicrous offer by the multitude of clubs who need ball players, i reckon dogs and titans will try to poach him, hopefully he has the smarts to stay put and not give into pressure to more money to waste his career carrying a team of losers

franklin2323

Immortal
Was listening to goulds podcast yesterday, i have to agree ith his comments around, signing players too young, we all want Burton to play 1st grade, but at the moment he needs to ease into it, no point shelling out a long term contract, and he gets burnt out like ash taylor, or milford.
He has talent, but as ivan pointed out he is still growing, maybe going forward keep him as a utility, for the remainder of this season before priming him for a specific spot, there was talks of the nathan cleary and jerome luai combination long before burton was around, and as jerome hadn't filled out yet, was held back over nathan, of which the coaching staff stated that jerome was the better talent out of those two, but nathan had grown out quicker than jerome had. I still believe jerome will be the 5/8th for penrith going forward, he has lots of similarities to preston campbells game and talent, zippy and skillful, where nathans more like gower, they compement each other in that respect.
As for burton, he has a steve carter like game about him, and as he was aggressive, quick and totally unpredictable, he can work as a lock forward if he bulks up more, which means all three can be on field next year, provided they are all fit,
As for Yeo, he has become this years leading lock, just below Radley for me and could easily bolster the blues if freddy choses him at years end, but he could easily be on the edge or front row, and still not miss a beat for us, if we look to not extend Tamou, i feel we might be heading that direction, more mobile props, and ball playing locks come 2021 onwards, all depends on how matt burtons attitude towards staying in the team learning as opposed to taking a ludicrous offer by the multitude of clubs who need ball players, i reckon dogs and titans will try to poach him, hopefully he has the smarts to stay put and not give into pressure to more money to waste his career carrying a team of losers

No reason next season Burton can't do Burns role now and go from there.

Plenty of teams are lacking quality and nothing we can do if Dogs or WT offer crazy money

franklin2323

Immortal
Not really surprised he’s leaving, but I am surprised it’s to Souths. I thought they were pretty stacked in the edge back rower department.

I’m keen to see if he gets picked over Jack Johns.

I think the fact he can play a few positons is the way clubs are going these days

betcats

Referee
Jed going would have more to do with young Lindsay Smith than Burton. Smith will be getting named in the 21 by next season.

The_Frog

First Grade
As for Yeo, he has become this years leading lock, just below Radley for me and could easily bolster the blues if freddy choses him at years end,
Perfect bench forward, even if he cannot really cover centre these days.

Jane Murray

Bench
According to Zero Tackle, Jack Hetherington has been contracted to the New Zealand Warriors for next year? Can someone, please, confirm, or deny this?

Attachments

• fgpB8m0Y.png
    fgpB8m0Y.png
    46 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts