What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

murraymob

Coach
Dont understand why we are looking at signing a young centre when we let Braidon Burns walk out the door...

the problem there are so many kids that carve up at u20 level but never kick on to first grade and we had many of them over the last few years so when one is offered big dollars its a balancing act on how many we can keep

Copperhead

Juniors
First Brennan is linked to SL and now Ciraldo been offered assistant position at Souths.
Can't afford to lose our two best coaches.

Michael Maguire is safe for now, but his coaching staff is poised for a clean-out in a bid to get South Sydney back on track.

Rabbitohs assistants Wayne Collins and Kurt Wrigley are likely to be moved on at the end of the year, with Matt King tipped to be promoted into one of the spots. We're hearing Souths are eyeing off either Penrith assistant Cameron Ciraldo or Mounties mentor Steve Antonelli for the other.

Ciraldo has done an outstanding job with Penrith's NYC side, which looks certain to secure the minor premiership. Likewise, Antonelli's Mounties – the feeder team for the Raiders – sits atop the Intrust Super Premiership standings.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-bungling-contract-talks-20160716-gq747u.html

mxlegend99

Referee
Griffin didnt deserve the job to begin with and hasn't done anything since to suggest he will improve us.

Brennan and Ciraldo atleast achieved success with many of our current first grade players through the lower grades. They couldn't really do any worse.

But Gus won't admit he was wrong. We will lose both these guys and be stuck with Griffin. Our lower grade sides will likely suffer if we lose the two best coaches we have.

The 5th year of the 5 year plan is shaping up to be the one where shit starts to go backwards for us.

GongPanther

Referee
Last edited:
A DT paywall story.Nothing on other news sites,so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

Can you remember what the article said?

EDIT:A day ago Gould mentioned on Twatter,that there will be announcing a couple of re-signings during the week coming up.

Whether one of those re-signings technically means Idris,we all have to wait and see.

Sometimes if you google part of the headline in Firefox in private browsing or incognito in Google you can get around paywalls.

The resigning news will probably be Wallace for a further year. Don't know who else.

I’m coming back to play next year’
JAMES PHELPS, The Sunday Telegraph
WE find Jamal Idris in Pune, India. The rugby league runaway is feeding wild dogs on a litter-lined street.
“I feed ’em every day,’’ the former State of Origin star said.
“These puppies man ... they are strays. They just wander around and me and my mates, well, we just ended up looking after them.’’
Idris has been wandering around too. Since dropping an NRL bombshell by quitting a multimillion-dollar contract with the Penrith Panthers last November, the dreadlocked giant has travelled a staggering 105,000km in an 11-country search for his soul.

“I needed to find out who I was,’’ Idris said.
“Something was missing and I wasn’t growing as a person. I needed to go and find my soul. Find out who I really was and what I wanted to be.”

And what he also found was the desire to play NRL again.
“I am going to play next year,’’ the 26-year-old, who burst on to the NRL scene as a teenager, said.
“I am ready to come back, bigger, better and the best I have ever been.”
Idris will put himself on the open market tomorrow with his agent Sam Ayoub set to find him a new NRL home.

And the giant they call “Jamma’’ is no longer searching for his soul. Now he is on a mission for tries, tackles and titles.
“And that feeling you get when you run out on to the field. Man there is no better feeling in the world,’’ he said.
Now finished feeding his adopted dogs, he sits back to reveal details of the incredible eight-month journey that saw him build an orphanage in Africa, jump out of a moving car to escape a kidnapping in Vietnam, debate philosophy with gurus in India and fall back in love with himself, and then rugby league.
Idris picked up the phone and made the call that would end his rugby league career last October.
“It was right at the end of the season,’’ Idris said.
“I called my mum and told her that my head wasn’t right and I wanted to quit football. She knew what was going on and told me to follow my heart. My dad also told me to forget money, to forget what people wanted me to be.’’
Idris’ parents had been waiting on that phone call. Their son, a gentle giant and larrikin oddball, had long lost his trademark smile
The former Kangaroo had bounced from the Bulldogs to the Titans and then landed in Penrith. He fought through rumours of depression, an alleged bipolar disorder and taunts about his weight to play good but not brilliant football.
And then he suffered a season-ending injury that would sometimes see him spend the whole day in his pyjamas. There were days he would not leave his two-bedroom Parramatta unit.

“I was depressed,” he said
“As much as I tried to keep that to myself, I couldn’t because I was in the limelight. I wanted to disappear. I’d sit at home just hoping everyone would forget my name. And then things got worse when I lost my nan, my pop and my uncle. They all died last year and it hit me hard.’’
Idris was lost. He found more joy in writing poetry than playing league.
So Idris vanished. He quit his lucrative deal and became league’s lost soul. “I travelled. I couldn’t find the answers here so I jumped on a plane and went to Europe,’’ he said.

First it was museums in Munich followed by art galleries in Paris. Then gondola rides in Venice before a white Christmas in London. Still Idris did not find what he was looking for. So he tried his luck in Asia. But he had none. He was kidnapped at gunpoint in Vietnam.
“I had to jump out of a car window to escape,’’ he said.
“I just ran for my life
Idris bought a block of land in Kumasi, where he is building an orphanage.
“We have built the foundations and next the fences go up,” he said.
“It is something I have always wanted to do. I have so much and the ability to do something good with it, and that is what I am doing.’’
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...n/news-story/23e9865f3c6a0f83e77b087682fafbf6

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
Thanks for that Buzz.I wonder with his unpredictability,whether anyone will consider giving him another shot.

When he left us,I was of the opinion that for him to heal,the best thing for him was to take a break.Hope he has found himself wherever he goes.

If we are going after him, I'd prefer to get him now and get him into the gym and training with the team asap.

Tom
definitely true but will need to committ. perhaps a see how you go in training and off season and then you will get a contract

mxlegend99

Referee
I think Burns was official but nothing came of the Rennings rumour. Probably due to his injury.

I'd say its a safe bet both Jennings boys are gone though. George cant even get a run ahead of Will Smith. Robert is lower down the pecking order again. Injuries really have destroyed their careers with us.

Hopefully they can put that behind them at a new club.

Fibroman

First Grade
Michael Maguire is safe for now, but his coaching staff is poised for a clean-out in a bid to get South Sydney back on track.

Rabbitohs assistants Wayne Collins and Kurt Wrigley are likely to be moved on at the end of the year, with Matt King tipped to be promoted into one of the spots. We're hearing Souths are eyeing off either Penrith assistant Cameron Ciraldo or Mounties mentor Steve Antonelli for the other.

Ciraldo has done an outstanding job with Penrith's NYC side, which looks certain to secure the minor premiership. Likewise, Antonelli's Mounties – the feeder team for the Raiders – sits atop the Intrust Super Premiership standings.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-bungling-contract-talks-20160716-gq747u.html

I saw a lot of Steve Antonelli coaching in the junior grades when his sons were at Glenmore Park Brumbies. I like what I saw. He has obviously taken his talent to the senior ranks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts