What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wallace has re-signed , but for 2 years not 1.

Why would you sign him for 2 years, where else is he going?

Saints.
You can thank thank them for 2nd year. Everything I had read and heard suggested only a 1 year deal was coming from here. Until the past month they had quietly approached his manager about a possible deal. I believe that gave Wallace's manager a bit of leverage he needed for Wallace's preferred 2 years.

Wallace deserves his contract extension. Lets see how he goes next year before we worry about 2018. He has already surprised a lot of us this year with his form.

Kilkenny

Coach
Given the re-signing of Wal I assume we will not bring in another hooker for next season and rely on what we already have including Soni Luke, Katoa, ZDC as backup which I am comfortable with.

TheFrog

Coach
Saints.
Until the past month they had quietly approached his manager about a possible deal.
I just wonder who approached whom. Seeing it's the role of a player manager to get the best deal possible for his client, he would be remiss really not to be doing a ring around of those clubs who might use the services he offers. The Dragons and maybe Newcastle look most likely to fill the bill.

tripster

Juniors
I haven't been able to find any reports of how much the deal was worth, but I am guessing it would be pretty modest.

Based on current form he is excellent value. Tries his guts out every game, decent kicking from dummy half, plenty of experience, good club man, has shown he has good defence in the middle, etc. I am glad he will get the chance to finish his career with us.

Panther Pete

Juniors
I haven't been able to find any reports of how much the deal was worth, but I am guessing it would be pretty modest.

Based on current form he is excellent value. Tries his guts out every game, decent kicking from dummy half, plenty of experience, good club man, has shown he has good defence in the middle, etc. I am glad he will get the chance to finish his career with us.
It's hard to say he is excellent value of we don't know what the contract is worth but either way I am happy with the extension. I think it also shows that Griffen isn't one to hold a grudge considering he punted Wal from the Broncos but he has obviously moved on from that to offer him an extra couple of years.

Fibroman

First Grade
I'm also happy with the Wallace signing, but as others have posted, I question the 2 year deal. Maybe we got him very cheap for the 2nd year, who knows?

TheFrog

Coach
I think it also shows that Griffen isn't one to hold a grudge considering he punted Wal from the Broncos but he has obviously moved on from that to offer him an extra couple of years.

He didn't need him at the Broncos. He needs him at Penrith. That's the difference.

tripster

Juniors
It's hard to say he is excellent value of we don't know what the contract is worth but either way I am happy with the extension. I think it also shows that Griffen isn't one to hold a grudge considering he punted Wal from the Broncos but he has obviously moved on from that to offer him an extra couple of years.

Sorry, I meant to say "Assuming it was a modest price, as seems likely, then he is excellent value." Otherwise agree with what you say.

Copperhead

Juniors
Given the re-signing of Wal I assume we will not bring in another hooker for next season and rely on what we already have including Soni Luke, Katoa, ZDC as backup which I am comfortable with.

Appears to be the case with Manaia Cherrington just signing with Sharks.

maple_69

Bench
I'm fine with two years. He is a good hooker at the moment and if he can sit back a bit and just guide the young halves and not over play his hands we know he will be strong and consistent in the fundamentals which is what we need from a hooker with Martin/Cleary at the helm. If Katoa or Luke really come on next year then ship him back to reggies to lead those young guys and offer great depth at half/hooker. I just hope he can stay fit.

If you'd said id be more worried about Wallace getting injured than anyone else at the start of this year I'd have dismissed you as an imbocile but here we are.

Doomednow

Bench
He doesn't have to play firsts for both years, but with Cherrington gone to Sharks 2 years is a safe bet to give us some time to identify the successor.

betcats

Referee
I'm happy enough with Wallace staying. Katoa and Luke are both promising hookers, hopefully one of them will be pushing Wallace out before that contract ends. I think once the halves are settled next year he will look at bringing through a hooker.

tripster

Juniors
Fair enough I suppose. He's shown he still puts all in even with a secure long term contract.

If he becomes an established Origin and rep footy player the next two years (which isn't a small chance) then extending his contract now on a fixed price also presumably avoids the club otherwise having to pay really big bucks to re-sign him at his previous contract.

Whino

Bench
Odd. Merrin was in year 1 of a 3 year deal that expired 2018.
I am happy Merrin extended but I would have thought others coming off contract next year would have come first.
Moylan's off contract next year and the talk of him extending to 2021 has gone quiet.

Odd. Merrin was in year 1 of a 3 year deal that expired 2018.
I am happy Merrin extended but I would have thought others coming off contract next year would have come first.
Moylan's off contract next year and the talk of him extending to 2021 has gone quiet.

Merrin had an option his favour for 2018. So technically he was coming off contract end of next year. Other clubs could have approached him next year about switching. This deal takes that out of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts