What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
I don't think centre depth is an issue. We have 5 experienced first grade options. It seems thin right now because our starting centres have missed most of the year. If we need to drop to our 6th option it's going to be getting desperate. But that's the same for any team.

If one or both of Hiku and Whare go down again for a long period next year. We shouldnt be looking at depth. We should be looking at replacing them in our top 17.

Hooker is the position we need to fix first. Wallace is solid at his best but there's no obvious replacements. Atleast not that are proven first grade quality.

kinghippo

Juniors
Browne would be a good signing, he is a big guy and could add a lot, although he will have to hit some good form if he wants a shot at our first grade team. We really only have 3 props, tamaou, latu and RCG (I know there is some anti RCG feelings) Mckendry lats matagi are all solid but could be pushed out by akoula or kikau but that remains to be seen. A bit of extra competition is great. The hooking role is a bit of a worry though, cherington signed with the Sharks, I was hoping we would get him.

maple_69

Bench
I believe he has a second year option in his favour though. I imagine if he's told he won't be more than depth he'll look elsewhere and he should get a decent crack somewhere i think after a solid season.

We have Latu, RCG, Tamou who should all be locks for the prop rotation. Merrin and JFH can move in if necessary and then we have Latimore and Mckendry as pure depth. Then Kikau, Leota, Clarke and Albert all pushing through for that last spot.

If you look at our likely side next year it's hard to see how we could add more forwards.

1. Moylan 2. Mansour 3. Hiku/Blake 4. Whare 5. DWZ 6. Martin 7. Cleary 8. Tamou 9. Wallace 10. RCG 11. Cartwright 12. Yeo 13. Merrin 14. Latu 15. JFH 16. Peachey 17. Katoa

Copperhead

Juniors
If you look at our likely side next year it's hard to see how we could add more forwards.

1. Moylan 2. Mansour 3. Hiku/Blake 4. Whare 5. DWZ 6. Martin 7. Cleary 8. Tamou 9. Wallace 10. RCG 11. Cartwright 12. Yeo 13. Merrin 14. Latu 15. JFH 16. Peachey 17. Katoa

Don't rate Grevs?

I think Gould is after Browne for harden experience in the years ahead. He has played finals football and a GF as well as being a tough bugger. No doubt we have some good young props coming through but its all about getting the right squad balance of youth and experience.
We probably will lose Matagi end of the year and we have Latimore off contract next year. May stay may not. McKendry is contracted till 2019 but who knows if he sees that out.
We could potentially lose 3 experienced props over the next 18 months. I can understand if they are looking around for another experienced prop, Plus they will want to balance out the squad till the young ins are ready to play more consistently.
Browne would be cheap and handy next year while Tamou and possibly Cartwright and Merrin are away on origin duty.

tripster

Juniors
Browne's just a honest plodder isn't he?

That's very much feeling too. Probably at a similar level to McKendry and Latimore.

I think ChrisD or someone else has the ability to access awesome stats on players, like average meters gained per game, average tackles made, etc. it would be good to see some stats like that on Browne to see how he truly stacks up.

nrl.com has him averaging just 28 minutes a game but for a decent return of 62 metres, 19 tackles. to compare, in the same amount of minutes per game, matagi averages 69 running metres and 15 tackles. in 34 minutes mckendry averages 70 metres and 21 tackles. latimore in 28 minutes on average as well gets 59 metres, 20 tackles a game. so on those he is on par with them

tripster

Juniors
nrl.com has him averaging just 28 minutes a game but for a decent return of 62 metres, 19 tackles. to compare, in the same amount of minutes per game, matagi averages 69 running metres and 15 tackles. in 34 minutes mckendry averages 70 metres and 21 tackles. latimore in 28 minutes on average as well gets 59 metres, 20 tackles a game. so on those he is on par with them

Thanks (and thanks to Copperhead as well). Interesting stats.

When you see those kind of figures and the fairly low average minutes for those players, it also shows how amazing Merrin his - how someone like him can play 80 minutes I have no idea. He must have been born with a massive cardiovascular system. Kind of like Phar Lap, lol.

Randy81

Juniors
Browne's just a honest plodder isn't he?
There was a dogs fan on here a while back who was claiming (outlandishly) that browne is significantly superior to cartwright lol

I have always thought browne has good size and is decent in a frontrow rotation but not spectacular. I wonder what that dogs fan thinks now? Probably would claim he is rubbish and doesn't care he's going.

I am told that browne did 2 acls in 3 years back at the start of his career with souths, then onto manly then dogs. Provides decent numbers now without many mistakes / missed tackles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts