What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldPanther

Coach
An article on the NRL site says that Wal has "a couple of options he is weighing up", and he'll announce a decision in the near future.

Super League perhaps? A job on the coaching staff at Panthers? Whatever, it's pretty clear this is his last year with us as a player.

I posted it in the general discussion thread yesterday.

franklin2323

Immortal
Bold: Who is most likely out of the young blokes?

As for the list I agree. We can be very successful with that.

Trindall in NSW u18's looks the good long term but Ball had 3 good halves. Dean Blore re-signed to 2020 and is playing well for Flegg

With the cap these days need to be smart and we have guys coming through that can do a good job and move on when they get better deal

OldPanther

Coach
Trindall in NSW u18's looks the good long term but Ball had 3 good halves. Dean Blore re-signed to 2020 and is playing well for Flegg

With the cap these days need to be smart and we have guys coming through that can do a good job and move on when they get better deal

Sounds good. I much prefer the idea of slow burn long term success over the odd great year or 2.

England or Coaching would be his options. He is borderline being a FG now in 12 months no chance

You'd think Penrith will offer a position.

franklin2323

Immortal
Sounds good. I much prefer the idea of slow burn long term success over the odd great year or 2.

You'd think Penrith will offer a position.

That is where we have gone wrong in the past. We just had to wait til get the elite players from the lot now we are there.

He was helping out Ball and Matts. Play NSW Cup so he is still around for the younger guys while he starts coaching would be my plan

ashton

Juniors
Tweed Heads Seagulls brothers Brayden and Glenn McGrady to join Penrith Panthers
Connor O’Brien, @obrien_GCB, Gold Coast Bulletin
May 25, 2018 5:39pm
premium_iconSubscriber only
  • Share this by Emailsocial-email_circle
TALENTED Tweed Heads brothers Brayden and Glenn McGrady have scored their big break, inking deals to join Penrith next season.

The pair on Wednesday each signed two-year contracts that will see Brayden, 21, join the Panthers on a full-time basis and Glenn, 17, enter their under-20 program.

Penrith recruitment officer Jim Jones confirmed club supremo Phil Gould had himself conducted negotiations to secure the McGradys and is confident they can extract the best from them.

Player agent Sam Ayoub said the brothers, who are relatives of 1991 Rothmans Medal winner Ewan McGrady, had liked what they saw when given a tour of facilities.

“(Penrith) contacted me and expressed an interest and flew them down and showed them around,” Ayoub said.

486c34a180890683b484e1931afba3af

media_cameraGlenn McGrady ahead of Palm Beach Currumbin’s showdown with Keebra. Picture: Jerad Williams
“They have got a really good indigenous program there that Glen Liddiard runs at the Panthers. They were really happy about the set-up and the environment.

“They are good young players with good potential and obviously some natural talent and Penrith are prepared to back them.”

It is understood the Titans made a last-ditch play for the Goondiwindi products – both of whom have previously been in the Gold Coast system – but were too late.

It comes despite the Titans, who must still fill two spots on their roster before June 30, declaring their intentions to promote local talent.

Strike centre Brayden has enjoyed a blistering start to the Intrust Super Cup season, scoring 12 tries in seven games for the Seagulls.

His ISC mentor Ben Woolf also worked with him at his previous post as Gold Coast’s National Youth Competition coach and has witnessed significant progress.

“We spoke with our staff at the Titans 20s – he is one of the most talented kids we’d worked with in relation to his natural raw ability. He has got bucketloads of that,” Woolf said.

Glenn meanwhile has made his mark at fullback both in Tweed’s under-18 Mal Meninga Cup team and as part of the Palm Beach Currumbin High side that pipped Keebra Park 26-22 in the NRL Schoolboy Cup this month.

Tweed are shooting for six straight wins when they host Sunshine Coast at Piggabeen on Sunday afternoon. Konrad Hurrell will miss the clash, with Shaun Carney coming in at fullback and Brendan Elliot shifting to centre.

tripster

Juniors
With my boredom during the Origin period, I took the table from last night, and took a wild guess at what player's salaries might need to be in 2020 for us to keep them - purely for the purpose of generating some discussion.

Interestingly, there are very limited media reports about what our players are paid (which is probably a good thing). Merrin and Tamou are the only ones where I could find any reports of their salaries. Query the accuracy, but I have assumed for the sake of argument that the figures are accurate.

I have then had a play around with figures, operating within the assumption that the NRL salary cap increases by $450,000 between now and the start of the 2020 season (from the $9.1 million that is now) to $9.55 million.

If you look at the salary cap from say 2014 to 2017 it went up by close to $250,000 per season, so have adopted that assumption. There doesn't seem to be any announcement online about the salary cap increasing at all for next season (which is unusual), but there is a reasonable prospect that it goes up by that much. Things become all the more difficult if it doesn't increase by that much, and conversely become a little bit easier if it increases by more (although that same buying power will be available to other clubs).

There is also a $200,000 long serving player allowance that is outside of the cap. I have assumed for the time being that it doesn't increase between now and the start of 2020, and that it is spent on Mansour in 2020 (he will be eligible from then).

I have also assumed that the minimum wage increases from the $85,000 per player that it is now, to $100,000 per player in 2020 (there have been reports saying that will occur).

It isn't as easy as I thought it would be keep everyone we'd want to for 2020. Some players, if they have really hit their straps next year, will be in demand and will be tough to keep.

I see real risk for us in the hooking area in particular, with both Egan and Katoa off contract. If either Katoa or Egan have a great 2019 once Wallace is gone, we will need to readjust everything else. We will probably only be able to keep one of them.

We benefit a lot from having plenty of players signed to the end of 2020, although the end of 2020 will be a very tough year. I suspect we will lose more of our squad then. Looks like our premiership window is realistically this season, next season, and possibly 2020 depending on how our current crop of juniors go and who we manage to keep.

salaries.jpg

Anyway, interested in everyone's thoughts. Comments and criticism welcomed!

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
Nathan would be foolish to leave. I know blood is thicker than water but he won't grow as a player under his dad I think. He has the best chance to win a comp and set up a good future for himself, his mates and the club. All under a well managed cap courtesy of Gus, and a great halves partner and mentor in Maloney. If I was Cleary, I wouldn't want to help rebuild another club (tigers), but instead stay at the club which is leading to great things in the future years. But then you have the roosters with their mountain of money and god knows if Cleary is loyal to the panthers or not.
Hopefully money won't be the reasoning to influencing his choice. He only has to look around the club to see the grass won't be greener elsewhere. If we do get a premiership,I think that will weigh heavily on his descision to leave for the Roosters,which would be devistating for all fans. No doubt Fittler will get in his ear in joining Easts,but maybe Nathan isn't a city boy.

TheFrog

Coach
Good effort. Most of them seem reasonable but the outside backs except Blake seem a tad high, as do Merrin and even Tamou, but I could well be wrong. And no James Maloney, who is signed until the end of 2020.

It is very hard to estimate what someone like Leota will command on his next contract. He was just starting to hit his straps when he was injured. If that form continues he'll be on much more than $200k.

kinghippo

Juniors
Hopefully money won't be the reasoning to influencing his choice. He only has to look around the club to see the grass won't be greener elsewhere. If we do get a premiership,I think that will weigh heavily on his descision to leave for the Roosters,which would be devistating for all fans. No doubt Fittler will get in his ear in joining Easts,but maybe Nathan isn't a city boy.
No matter what happens with Nathan I am happy we have put ourselves in a strong position to resign him. Even if he leaves it won’t be because Panthers are the problem, we have sorted our shit out this season and will be strong if he stays or goes.

GongPanther

Referee
Here's a difficult hypothetical question. If we had to lose three of our forwards in order to keep the majority of our pack, along with Cleary, who would you reluctantly let go out of the following:

Merrin
RCG
CHN
Yeo
JFH
Kikau
Tamou
Hetheringron

Merrin-stays
RCG-stays (just)
CHN (goes)
Yeo-stays
JFH-stays
Kikau-stays
Tamou-Goes
Hetherington-goes

tripster

Juniors
Good effort. Most of them seem reasonable but the outside backs except Blake seem a tad high, as do Merrin and even Tamou, but I could well be wrong. And no James Maloney, who is signed until the end of 2020.

It is very hard to estimate what someone like Leota will command on his next contract. He was just starting to hit his straps when he was injured. If that form continues he'll be on much more than $200k.

Good points, and somehow I completely forgot about Maloney!!! No idea how I managed that.

As soon as I get the chance I’ll adjust the spreadsheet to include him. Unfortunately adding $800,000 in for Maloney (reported value of his deal) is going to make things very hard.

What do you think more realistic figures for Whare, DWZ and Mansour are? I had a bit of a look online at other outside backs, and, by comparison:

- Corey Oates is reportedly on $400,000 per season (up from $300,000 previously)
- Brett Morris is on $500,000
- Vunivalu is on $240,000
- JAC is on $140,000 (although you’d think due an upgrade)

Perhaps $400,000 is more realistic for Mansour and $250,000 for DWZ? And $300,000 for Whare? That frees up $200,000, but once I add Maloney into it, it becomes really tough.

For Merrin and Tamou I agree it seems high but I just went on media reports. Perhaps we had to pay overs to get them here, or the reports are wrong.

Working the numbers out like this suggests to me that we will lose a bunch of talent at the end of next season, and will have quite a different looking side in 2020. Hopefully we can keep the key players.

tripster

Juniors
Wouldn't the club be insured against player injuries that force them into premature retirenent?

The club may well be insured for the amount it has to pay to a player who can’t play as a result of a long term injury (although you’d imagine it would be hard to get cover for a recurrence of an existing injury).

However, the club remains liable to make the payments to the player themselves, and those payments count towards the cap.

GongPanther

Referee
Tweed Heads Seagulls brothers Brayden and Glenn McGrady to join Penrith Panthers
Connor O’Brien, @obrien_GCB, Gold Coast Bulletin
May 25, 2018 5:39pm
premium_iconSubscriber only
  • Share this by Emailsocial-email_circle
TALENTED Tweed Heads brothers Brayden and Glenn McGrady have scored their big break, inking deals to join Penrith next season.

The pair on Wednesday each signed two-year contracts that will see Brayden, 21, join the Panthers on a full-time basis and Glenn, 17, enter their under-20 program.

Penrith recruitment officer Jim Jones confirmed club supremo Phil Gould had himself conducted negotiations to secure the McGradys and is confident they can extract the best from them.

Player agent Sam Ayoub said the brothers, who are relatives of 1991 Rothmans Medal winner Ewan McGrady, had liked what they saw when given a tour of facilities.

“(Penrith) contacted me and expressed an interest and flew them down and showed them around,” Ayoub said.

486c34a180890683b484e1931afba3af

media_cameraGlenn McGrady ahead of Palm Beach Currumbin’s showdown with Keebra. Picture: Jerad Williams
“They have got a really good indigenous program there that Glen Liddiard runs at the Panthers. They were really happy about the set-up and the environment.

“They are good young players with good potential and obviously some natural talent and Penrith are prepared to back them.”

It is understood the Titans made a last-ditch play for the Goondiwindi products – both of whom have previously been in the Gold Coast system – but were too late.

It comes despite the Titans, who must still fill two spots on their roster before June 30, declaring their intentions to promote local talent.

Strike centre Brayden has enjoyed a blistering start to the Intrust Super Cup season, scoring 12 tries in seven games for the Seagulls.

His ISC mentor Ben Woolf also worked with him at his previous post as Gold Coast’s National Youth Competition coach and has witnessed significant progress.

“We spoke with our staff at the Titans 20s – he is one of the most talented kids we’d worked with in relation to his natural raw ability. He has got bucketloads of that,” Woolf said.

Glenn meanwhile has made his mark at fullback both in Tweed’s under-18 Mal Meninga Cup team and as part of the Palm Beach Currumbin High side that pipped Keebra Park 26-22 in the NRL Schoolboy Cup this month.

Tweed are shooting for six straight wins when they host Sunshine Coast at Piggabeen on Sunday afternoon. Konrad Hurrell will miss the clash, with Shaun Carney coming in at fullback and Brendan Elliot shifting to centre.
Here is a Breyden interview.

TheFrog

Coach
What do you think more realistic figures for Whare, DWZ and Mansour are?
Corey Oates is reportedly on $400,000 per season (up from $300,000 previously)
It was reported a while back that Oates wanted to play in the back row because he couldn't get $400k as a winger. Similarly, Gould pooh-poohed suggestions that Mansour was worth $400k, although its likely he was offered this by Parramatta. Why did we sign Dean Whare for 5 years? Maybe it was a bargain price? Apart from wanting to tie up a topline player, which Dean isn't really these days, why else would the club do this?

Like everyone else I'm only guessing but I'd say Mansour $300-350k, Dallin $300k and Whare $250k. Dallin in particular, having so far made a very good fist of fullback, might look for more next deal but then he might have to leave Penrith to get it.

MrBlack

Juniors
I'd imagine Dallin is receiving offers from other clubs right now.
Tigers would have been better off throwing Mbye's money at DWZ. With his brother there and the connection to Cleary they would have been a real shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts