What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
Tigers would have been better off throwing Mbye's money at DWZ. With his brother there and the connection to Cleary they would have been a real shot.
Maybe they enquired and he told them no.

God I dont want to lose DWZ. He and Blake were such a destructive psiring and DWZ at fullback is probably the most dangerous ball returner in the competition.

MrBlack

Juniors
Maybe they enquired and he told them no.

God I dont want to lose DWZ. He and Blake were such a destructive psiring and DWZ at fullback is probably the most dangerous ball returner in the competition.

We have the rest of this season to see how DWZ goes at fullback.

Really looking forward to getting Blake back as well. Have missed him out wide.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Hate to say it, but it wouldn't surprise me if that happens - given his current form.

Plenty of room for both so hopefully this doesn't eventuate

I think Edwards has things Dallin doesn't like his natural speed. Like you say, room for both of them. Long ago gave up worrying bout whose at the club, and team selections. I'll trust the brains trust.

Blues Riff

Bench
I have to laugh at the clowns on the Wests Tigers forum (not LU) getting shitty and paranoid about reports that the corrupt Roosters are looking to steal Nathan Cleary from under their noses. Some are suggesting that they pay Nathan under the table via Ivans account. It's an interesting read, the flip side of the coin, based on exactly the same mis-information we're all being fed. They're fully convinced that NC is a done deal. I guess we all believe what we want to eh?

http://www.weststigersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30235

OldPanther

Coach
I have to laugh at the clowns on the Wests Tigers forum (not LU) getting shitty and paranoid about reports that the corrupt Roosters are looking to steal Nathan Cleary from under their noses. Some are suggesting that they pay Nathan under the table via Ivans account. It's an interesting read, the flip side of the coin, based on exactly the same mis-information we're all being fed. They're fully convinced that NC is a done deal. I guess we all believe what we want to eh?

http://www.weststigersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30235

The first commet was very level headed. Will read more later lol.

"I'm pretty sure the kid would want to forge his own path and not live under the cloud of nepotism that would come with playing under his father. I'd rate it no chance of happening"

mxlegend99

Referee
The first commet was very level headed. Will read more later lol.

"I'm pretty sure the kid would want to forge his own path and not live under the cloud of nepotism that would come with playing under his father. I'd rate it no chance of happening"
They have Cleary as a 90% chance at signing with them and Roosters as more of a threat then us.

Although they do hope we keep him if they miss out... it would kill them to see Roosters get him. They're acting like he's already a Tigers player.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
They have Cleary as a 90% chance at signing with them and Roosters as more of a threat then us.

Although they do hope we keep him if they miss out... it would kill them to see Roosters get him. They're acting like he's already a Tigers player.

Lol the W/T are very good at crowing before the fat lady has finished singing. (Big 3 anyone :p)I'd like to think Panthers have a high chance of keeping Cleary past 2019. Nathan seems to have formed a close bond with Brandy, and Jimmy Maloney, and of course the blokes he's come into grade with.

Time will tell.

OldPanther

Coach

I admire their enthusiasm. Hope they aren't too crushed when he doesn't go there.

mxlegend99

Referee
Fly the kid down to Penrith now for medical care and the full Mansour re-hab. Keep him away from those QLD witch-doctors.
The same care Mckendry has gotten the past 3 seasons?

Not so sure the staff matter that much in ACL injuries. I dont think an ACL is ever the same afterwards.

Even if finding form again. A player who has fone it once seems more likely to do it again.

maple_69

Bench
On the DWZ v Edwards convo. I think both guys have great running games. DWZ is more electric but has worse hands. He also needs to male himself an invaluable suppory player for Kik, Merrin etc. Edwards is safer and has more potential as a ball player but it hasnt clicked in first grade yet.

I think if it becomes a real decision much will depend on who we look like having in the 7 and 9.

tripster

Juniors
The same care Mckendry has gotten the past 3 seasons?

Not so sure the staff matter that much in ACL injuries. I dont think an ACL is ever the same afterwards.

Even if finding form again. A player who has fone it once seems more likely to do it again.

Statistics bear this out, unfortunately. Once your ACL has been done once there is a really high chance of doing it again - either in the same knee or in the opposite knee.

There is a lot of data studying the effects of ACL injuries in the NFL, where ACL injuries are also common. A lot of players never return to the NFL at all after doing their ACL and having a reconstruction, because their performance isn't good enough. Those that return - if they were exceptional - end up returning a few levels below - usually just becoming average players.

The qualification to that data however is that in the NFL there is usually pressure to return much quicker than in the NRL (and job security is worse) - and redoing your ACL is a higher risk if you return too quickly. It also isn't clear if players would return to their original level given enough time.

In the NRL I can think of a few players who did their ACL and still managed to stay at the top level - Tedesco is one. He did it very early in his career. Equally, who knows what he would have been like if it had never happened.

Looking at other players like Mansour and Inglis who have done their ACL's more recently - seems to take at least a full season in the top grade before they start to return to their best. You'd probably also put Whare in a similar bucket - we've seen glimpses of his old form recently, but who knows if it will be consistent.

You can then name a long list of other players who it dropped down a number of gears, seemingly permanently. JWH used to be one of the best props in the game - and was for a number of years. He has never returned to his best after doing his ACL. Matt Scott also hasn't been as good (although it is only his first season back after doing it).

Then you have players like McKendry and Moga who have barely been able to stay on the field after their original rupture.

Kilkenny

Coach
The player market is just so inflated it must make managing our salary cap an almost impossible assignment.

More than most team sports, Rugby League is a team game. You may have the best 1,6,7 & 9 in the game but if your forward pack are rubbish well you probably ain't gonna be there at the business end of the season.

Nathan Cleary because he is a half back is going to join the $1M per season club when he signs his next contract but at the same time you have players who are equally important to the team overall such as Yeo as one example who at best is probably earning 300-400K per season.

When RCG sit's down with Gus in the near future, current Australian & Origin Representative he can point to the fact average front rowers such as Shannon Boyd & Junior Paulo has been signed by the Titans & Eels respectively for $700K plus per season so not unreasonable for him to want a contract well in excess of 700K.

Are the contributions to the team of say RCG so much more significant that he is worth approximately 10% of our overall salary cap or does Gould sign/resign four front rowers in say Hethrington, Leota, Ellis & one other for the same overall amount of money.

This is not about RCG I just make the point how dangerously inflated the player market is at present and is working against us as a club developing our own future NRL stars from within.

It is a real dilemma for us going forward. I hate the thought we have one of our forwards getting $800K or more when someone else such as say Isaah Yeo may be getting half that amount when his contributions to the team are equally as important.

There has been much written about how our salary cap for 2019 -2020 is under real pressure and it is easy to see why and it is not necessarily of our own making other than the fact we keep producing too many quality youngsters.

tripster

Juniors
The player market is just so inflated it must make managing our salary cap an almost impossible assignment.

More than most team sports, Rugby League is a team game. You may have the best 1,6,7 & 9 in the game but if your forward pack are rubbish well you probably ain't gonna be there at the business end of the season.

Nathan Cleary because he is a half back is going to join the $1M per season club when he signs his next contract but at the same time you have players who are equally important to the team overall such as Yeo as one example who at best is probably earning 300-400K per season.

When RCG sit's down with Gus in the near future, current Australian & Origin Representative he can point to the fact average front rowers such as Shannon Boyd & Junior Paulo has been signed by the Titans & Eels respectively for $700K plus per season so not unreasonable for him to want a contract well in excess of 700K.

Are the contributions to the team of say RCG so much more significant that he is worth approximately 10% of our overall salary cap or does Gould sign/resign four front rowers in say Hethrington, Leota, Ellis & one other for the same overall amount of money.

This is not about RCG I just make the point how dangerously inflated the player market is at present and is working against us as a club developing our own future NRL stars from within.

It is a real dilemma for us going forward. I hate the thought we have one of our forwards getting $800K or more when someone else such as say Isaah Yeo may be getting half that amount when his contributions to the team are equally as important.

There has been much written about how our salary cap for 2019 -2020 is under real pressure and it is easy to see why and it is not necessarily of our own making other than the fact we keep producing too many quality youngsters.

Completely agree. Following the Frog's comments on my previous table - where I was trying to work out our position in 2020 (albeit as best as can be guessed) - I have updated things below. I added in Maloney (who I had left out of the original table by mistake), and dropped some of the salaries of the outside backs.

I could not get it within $9.55 million and keep player's salaries remotely reasonable. So unless the salary cap goes up substantially, we are going to lose a few players by the start of the 2020 season, or at least one big name. It will simply be impossible to keep the current group together. We will be better placed in 2021, assuming Maloney retires, and Merrin and Tamou both leave, or one stays on a reduced contract for the last year or two of their career.

The salaries I have included for guys like Leota and Hetherington are plainly too low (assuming they play a lot of 1st grade next year) but might be ok if they don't play much 1st grade. The other risk is of course other clubs who struggle to develop good talent paying overs to poach our players.

player salaries.JPG

OldPanther

Coach
Completely agree. Following the Frog's comments on my previous table - where I was trying to work out our position in 2020 (albeit as best as can be guessed) - I have updated things below. I added in Maloney (who I had left out of the original table by mistake), and dropped some of the salaries of the outside backs.

I could not get it within $9.55 million and keep player's salaries remotely reasonable. So unless the salary cap goes up substantially, we are going to lose a few players by the start of the 2020 season, or at least one big name. It will simply be impossible to keep the current group together. We will be better placed in 2021, assuming Maloney retires, and Merrin and Tamou both leave, or one stays on a reduced contract for the last year or two of their career.

The salaries I have included for guys like Leota and Hetherington are plainly too low (assuming they play a lot of 1st grade next year) but might be ok if they don't play much 1st grade. The other risk is of course other clubs who struggle to develop good talent paying overs to poach our players.

View attachment 20534

It's impossible to keep the team together and based on the Cowboys as an example it may not be a good idea to keep the same group too long.

Abacus

Juniors

View attachment 20534
Seriously good effort at this. Something missing is TPA's - I think I re ead something earlier in the year where the club is in the top 3 or 4 in the NRL. No doubt Cleary & RCG will attract these. For mine, on the cap, Cleary $800k, RCG $500k. They're both a fair way from achieving elite money for their respective positions.

I disagree with your assessment of salaries for Leota, Ellis & Hetherington - I think your amounts are too high. At this stage, these guys are in the 150-180 range. They may have potential but not enough NRL games to warrant $200k+.

I think you've got Kikau on overs also. If he's on more then $450k after this season then we've got rocks in our head.

Luai, still on minimum given he's proved nothing at NRL.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Thanks for putting the time in so we can pick it to pieces ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts