What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantherz9103

First Grade
RL:penrith offers Soward to NRL rivals

Source: AAP

Jamie Soward's future with Penrith looks uncertain amid reports he's being shopped around to rival NRL clubs.

The 30-year-old five-eighth signed a four-year deal with the Panthers in 2013, but Fairfax Media reports he's now free to leave early.

He has reportedly been offered to several clubs, including the Warriors, who instead chose to sign Cronulla veteran Jeff Robson.

The news follows a season beset by injuries for Soward, and Penrith's disappointing second-to-last place finish.

maple_69

Bench
I think the Titans would have to be very interested in him. They have two incredible young halves but we've seen how that can work out at the Tigers this year. If he had a couple years there to ease Taylor in and mentor both he and Elgry,,as well as Friend mentoring Moseley, they could have an incredible spine in a few years.

mxlegend99

Referee
Would make no sense for us to let him go. He's the best half at the club and we need him to help develop Moylan and TMM. Unless he has done something off field that we don't know about, it makes no sense for us to get rid of him.

drago brelli

Bench
Always thought his best position was at half, his defence has improved markedly and he can control a match like few in the game. Has he done 'something off the field'? No, he wouldn't, it's 'not his go'. He's a mature person.

mxlegend99

Referee
As expected a load of shit rumour. Unless Soward had done something bad off field we wouldn't be looking at getting rid of him. It looks like he has a job after he retires with us aswell. That's awesome. He can teach Te Maire Martin and Matt Moylan how to control a game with their boot hopefully.

Blade23

Juniors
A further story puts out the fire.

PENRITH Panthers have issued an emphatic denial of reports star playmaker Jamie Soward is being offered to other NRL clubs.

Fairfax Media ran a story on Sunday claiming Soward’s departure from Penrith is all but guaranteed, with the 30-year-old being “shopped to rival clubs”.
Panthers executive general manager Phil Gould took the unusual step of issuing an extended statement on Twitter to assure fans and media that Soward is going nowhere.
“6 weeks ago I had (an) honest discussion with Jamie,” Gould wrote.
“He agreed he struggled in 2015 after several setbacks. I advised that if he wasn’t 100% motivated to play, I prefer he retire to start a coaching career with (the) Panthers.
Never at any time did (the) Panthers offer Jamie to other clubs. Jamie may have considered a fresh start somewhere else.
“Jamie has since apologised for 2015 & committed to giving 100% for (the) Panthers next year. That’s all we ask of any player. An in form Jamie Soward is very important to us. He will do it.”

Soward is coming off a frustrating year that, like many of his Panthers teammates, was blighted by injuries.
He is halfway through a four-year contract at Penrith but according to Fairfax Media he had been allowed to leave early, with the Warriors named in the report as a club that was initially interested
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...ing-jamie-soward/story-fn2mcuj6-1227565050965

Doomednow

Bench
I mean, Gus has told fibs/withheld information about player movements before, but his response seems pretty emphatic.

Maybe a bit harsh demanding an apology from him.

darkbloom

Juniors
Making headlines from minor issues is the stock standard M.O. of those in the media.

Responding with half-truths and misleading statements is the stock-standard M.O. of club managers.

It is the way the game is played.

How would any of us know the truth.

If Soward has the skids under him it would make sense for the club to be emphatic with your denial because potential buyers get too much leverage if they suspect a player is unwanted.

martielang

Bench
I don't know why people say that puts an end to it... there are obviously things going on behind the scenes. Hell of a lot of smoke there!

betcats

Referee
If sowie was at any point not committed to being here move him on. I love Sowie but he has one good year and then an injury and whatever other setbacks they mean this year and he starts wondering if he wants to be here? A bit disspointing imo and he is a confidence player, if he isn't happy and confident he is not a good player.

The yak

Juniors
?6 weeks ago I had (an) honest discussion with Jamie,? Gould wrote.
?He agreed he struggled in 2015 after several setbacks. I advised that if he wasn?t 100% motivated to play, I prefer he retire to start a coaching career with (the) Panthers.
Never at any time did (the) Panthers offer Jamie to other clubs. Jamie may have considered a fresh start somewhere else.

That concerns me a little. So next year we may have 2 players in Soward & Idris that may not be 100% enthusiastically about being here.
Unless we get off to a flyer, I think next year there may well be a big turn over of our roster and possibly a new coach.

betcats

Referee
That concerns me a little. So next year we may have 2 players in Soward & Idris that may not be 100% enthusiastically about being here.
Unless we get off to a flyer, I think next year there may well be a big turn over of our roster and possibly a new coach.

Yeah it seems like a situation that could turn ugly real quick unless everything goes our way, which it usually doesn't.

I don't like the idea of our success being dependant on Sowies seemingly fragile confidence for the next year or two, if he is having doubts and there is a club willing to take him id say take this chance to move him on.

Lets be honest he has lost that yard of pace that made him dangerous so we are paying him for the mental side of his game, his footy smarts, vision, leadership, game management etc and that wont be there if he isn't happy and committed.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Could be the rocket a few senior guys need.

Seg, Sowie, Brown and McKendry were all very down on previous years.

That said Sowie is needed as we need TMM/Moylan even Peachey to know when to play it safe and when not to. Maybe in 12 months he will be fine to go but not yet

Blade23

Juniors
McKendry has been down for a few years.

I don't know Sowards state of mind but to be fair he never really got much of a chance to get going this year.
He carried the back injury into the year that got worse. He came back gingerly as one would expect.
He picked up a knee injury in training that hampered him for awhile and just as he was getting back into his game the frigging gorilla from Parramatta steamrollered him giving him a shoulder problems for the rest of the year ?
Add up all those knocks and I would believe his confidence would be down. It can be very hard to get your form back up once you suffer a few knocks and your team is struggling.
I hope he he has a good off season break and the results show up in the pre season. If he has a good performance at the nines ten look out.

Exsilium

Coach
McKendry has been down for a few years.

I don't know Sowards state of mind but to be fair he never really got much of a chance to get going this year.
He carried the back injury into the year that got worse. He came back gingerly as one would expect.
He picked up a knee injury in training that hampered him for awhile and just as he was getting back into his game the frigging gorilla from Parramatta steamrollered him giving him a shoulder problems for the rest of the year ?
Add up all those knocks and I would believe his confidence would be down. It can be very hard to get your form back up once you suffer a few knocks and your team is struggling.
I hope he he has a good off season break and the results show up in the pre season. If he has a good performance at the nines ten look out.

Not sure who I heard this from but there was mention that he and his partner split or were on the rocks mid year. I remember his return game he was notably absent and wasn't even interested. If true that could have set him back a bit.

He was one of the most targeted halves after the moylan injury. Guy took a beating.

Let me add this, that back injury plagued him at St. George and when we signed him I was sure it wasn't a small issue but obviously our medical staff know more than I do but it hampered him back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts