What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
I recall hearing the name somewhere before, not sure if it was in relation to us. But anyway apparently we have signed a massive unit from PNG named Wellington Albert.
Plays front row or wing. Should be interesting to see how he goes. Good article about it in todays Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ungster-with-size-15-feet-20140202-31v2g.html

This kid sounds promising, and very big(size 15s!). Sounds like he has raised our profile a lot in PNG already as well.

Randy81

Juniors
Anyone know where Harry seijka is heading this season?. I saw him leaving nepean square today in panthers shorts.
I can't imagine we would want him back so maybe they were just an old pair.

It Would be laughable if he were to come back to penny and be further back in the pecking order than when he started

Randy81

Juniors
He is going to England.
Any idea which team? Looked through the squad lists and couldn't see him.
Seems weird he wouldn't be over there already given all other recruits are and the season starts in a week.

Edit: disregard. Looks as though he is having passport issues and sounds like Its Wakefield.
Thanks

Last edited:
So there's some people on twitter suggesting we're trying to offload Grant & Mckendry.

Obviously take it with an enormous grain of salt.

Further to the above post Brent Read ( journalist for the Australian) is now saying he's hearing these rumours.

Personally I'd be pretty annoyed losing both of these guys. Especially Grant.

murraymob

Coach
Not a new rumour been around since last year.Both are on huge money.Both where part of the group called into Goulds office and asked to take a pay cut along with Jennings and Lewis.Once Jennings went the need for cuts went as well

WithTheLot

Juniors
Both Grant and Mckendry need to take pay cuts or they need to go. they're both be on 600k+ and are the highest paid at the club. We could have 3-4 players that are just as good for what they are on. I wish it wasnt the case but i think its best for our club.

chrisD

Coach
Like a lot of the team the whole front row is off contract end of 2015. I don't see the point in releasing one of them for the 2015 season and paying part of their salary when they're off-contract at the end of the year. Definitely wouldn't let them go this season.

WithTheLot

Juniors
Yeah i know what you mean chris , but i think its gonna happen if we like it or not. Its a shame because they are our only long serving juniours left.

chrisD

Coach
I don't know what we'd even do with the money, we have a set team until the end of 2015, damaging props are what we need if anything.

betcats

Referee
I agree, I cannot see the sense in letting them go before they come off contract.

We arent exactly deep at prop, Grant, Mckendry, Plum, Kite then there arent really any props at the club who are up to playing regular FG imo.

All that said it wouldnt suprise me if the rumours are true for atleast on of Grant or Mckendry. Gus seems to be ruthlessly pursuing his plan and if they don't fit into that I have no doubt he will try and move them.

chrisD

Coach
Yeah all bets are off after 2015.

I think maybe Gould or Cleary are playing silly buggers, getting the fanbase ready for us losing one or both after 2015 and Grant and McKendry ready for a much leaner offer for their next contract.

betcats

Referee
We need both here. If we can't re-sign them for a reasonable amount that is a different story

I dont want to lose either of them but do we really need them? I mean of course we need props but two highly paid props like these two is not exactly good cap management, and both have spent their fair share of time on the sidelines through injury.

I mean I would be very disappointed to lose either of them, but I got over it when we lost Graham, Lewis, Gordon, Jennings etc...

Props seem to be easy to find in comparison to other positions, look at Mose, he outperformed both those blokes last season for probably less then half of what they made.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
Quality props are pulling decent coin. Sam & Tim arent in the same category as say Fifita, but they are not worlds away either. If we cant fit them in come renewal time then so be it, but to get rid of them now would be madness. To replace them with similar quality would cost similar coin anyway.

chrisD

Coach
There's ok prospects in the juniors past 2015, I don't rate Anderson but I'd like to think at least one of RCG, Latu or Ross would kick on into first grade, at a stretch maybe two, then we're only resigning two or three of our current props. Plus we should be ringing up Mose every week asking him how he's going.

Doomednow

Bench
Maybe we were looking at making a play for Fifita. Not sure who is available that we would want to replace them with now. If they are off contract 2015 surely not much point to moving them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.