What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings Part2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleary89

Coach
He's a great player, will be origin for years to come. However, I'm not slitting my wrists like a few are on the dragons forum. I do think that's overs especially when we need some big props, not props who have a step and shimmy.

ACTPanthers

Bench
On that money, he needs to perform, every game, at an exceptional level - Any thing less won't be acceptable IMO.

BxTom

Bench
Good pickup, how many of you guys do your financial planning based on figures in the Daily Telecrap?

How would they know the price?

Tom.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Good pickup, how many of you guys do your financial planning based on figures in the Daily Telecrap?

How would they know the price?

Tom.

The relevance in that is a stretch champ as our salaries aren't published... I get your point though, but until told otherwise, that's all the info we have.

abpanther

Staff member
I'm happy with the signing, I think many times critics like to harp on the contact figures however we really don't know the full details, nor how much of it is actually against the cap. Given what Gus has done so far I think it's a pretty small leap of faith to assume that he wouldn't be setting us up for cap hell.

While Merrin isn't a big metre eater he's a workhorse with the ability to break the line and create second phase play, I think he's just what we needed, like Chris though I wish he was joining this season

chrisD

Coach
The market dictates what a player is worth, their value is subjective, but there's a lot of things to consider and a player may be more valuable to one team than another. Definitely we're lacking quality up front, and remember Kite is off contract after this year, so really you could look at it as Merrin is his replacement. Don't know what we paid Kite, but it was overs.

The same story saying 750k says the Warriors offered him 1mil, they'd probably won't be dead on but I don't think they'd be far off. And we lost against the Warriors for Matulino, so he probably would be up there in the vicinity. I don't think you're going to see high end props going for much less anymore.

YoungPanther

Juniors
Happy without being ecstatic, although buying an International likely to be in his prime, is quite rare for us.

Does show a bit of intent for the young guys coming through that we are at least trying to achieve something in the next few years and that they should stick around.

Big Mick

Referee
If he has signed for 3 years, $2m then it's $666k avg per year w/significant 3rd party component meaning it may only be 450-500k pa under the cap which is essentially Sika Manu plus about 1/5th of Kite's deal.

Worth it.

Fibroman

First Grade
Great signing.

Look at what James Graham did for doggies last year. Merrin isn't a James Graham but he adds some punch in attack and has an offload.

Imagine tackle 3 or 4, defence on the backfoot and having Cartwright on one side of the ruck and Merrin on the other. Even more frightening if it is in the opposition 20.

hindy111

Post Whore
I doubt he would be getting that on the cap. But im sure it would be up there as dragons offered him a good deal. Gould is a smart operator thou.Im sure he knows what the team needs, and with Grant gone now he may not be costing a lot more?

maple_69

Bench
That sounds about right Mick.

Way I see it. We lose Plum, Kite, Docker and Manu in 2016. Manu was on big coin as we bought when we were a rabble and Kite on solid coin. We replace that with Merrin on big coin, hopefully Masoe on solid money, maybe 300 and add RCG and Latu/Anderson to the depth chart. Definitely a win. Maybe one that means we lose an RCG down the line but one that definitely means we are stronger next yearwhich I view as the prime year to win a premiership.

DWZ, Jennings, Blake, Whare, Mansour, Moylan, Soward, Merrin, Segeyaro, Mckendry, Cartwright, Peachey, Taylor, Brown, Idris, Masoe, Api/Anderson/Latu/Latimore is a beast side. 8 reps and probably 4 you'd expect to represent over the next two years.

blacksafake

First Grade
Great signing.

Look at what James Graham did for doggies last year. Merrin isn't a James Graham but he adds some punch in attack and has an offload.

Imagine tackle 3 or 4, defence on the backfoot and having Cartwright on one side of the ruck and Merrin on the other. Even more frightening if it is in the opposition 20.
Don't forget his dumb passes in his own 20:crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts