What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazzamatta

Coach
With Hoppa - Sounds to me like BA doesn't want what comes with Hoppa.The family and Media.....So they have gone lets get rid of him.

Everything turned to sh** the moment the players started sculling that Watermellon slop. Hooroo Hoppa and co and take ya watermellons with ya.

hindy111

Post Whore
Cornish was named in NSW cup team of year at halfback. So you could say he is the best back up available at this stage. Norman makes an ok fullback but i am not sure you want to weaken one area to fix another.
Especially in the halves. Cornish will play if there are injuries.
I would say Moss was brought in for fullback cover.He will be too good too hold out for too long.Him and Cameron King have the potential too start in their respective positions.

Parra47

Juniors
Gutherson could be an option at fullback as he's played a lot of that position. Very talented player.
Cornish is a organising halfback.
Moss is very fast and elusive but also quite small and not great defensively so I'd be a bit concerned with him at fullback. Having said that I hope he goes great if given a shot.
And yes king is very talented but injuries have really knocked his career about. I hope he has an injury free 2016.

oldmancraigy

Coach
my guess is that we have about $400-500K wiggle room in the cap ... we probably signed gutherson to $250-300K ... so we are just going, here's the left over $200K'ish .... and maybe we believe that if shit goes south in court then the NRL will make us contribute that same $200K to his departure to play elsewhere .... so best case, we end up with about $200K cap room if court goes our way

I am still struggling to find the logic that suggests we would contribute greater than $0 for Hoppa to play elsewhere?

I base this on the fact the NRL has no right to slug a team cap space for a contract that isn't registered by them. They refused to register the Hoppa deal in the first place, so one might reasonably assume they won't be registering any further deal (since we won't submit one). Hoppa hasn't taken the NRL to court, just the Eels. The court therefore cannot force the NRL to register a contract. So we won't have a cap hit for Hoppa of greater than $0.

I would not be surprised if we are paying Hoppa to play elsewhere, but very surprised if that hits our cap.

Tommy Coco

Juniors
I am still struggling to find the logic that suggests we would contribute greater than $0 for Hoppa to play elsewhere?

I base this on the fact the NRL has no right to slug a team cap space for a contract that isn't registered by them. They refused to register the Hoppa deal in the first place, so one might reasonably assume they won't be registering any further deal (since we won't submit one). Hoppa hasn't taken the NRL to court, just the Eels. The court therefore cannot force the NRL to register a contract. So we won't have a cap hit for Hoppa of greater than $0.

I would not be surprised if we are paying Hoppa to play elsewhere, but very surprised if that hits our cap.

Agreed

????? Do you have a source for that?

Who said that NRL refused to register his deal?

The NRL can pretty much do what they want with salary cap decisions.....teams agree to be bound by their salary cap determinations when they agree to play in the competition (subject to normal avenues of appear). They can slug a team for cap space for 3rd party payments that are not part of a registered NRL contract. They can slug a team for financial inducements paid outside a registered NRL contract. This doesn't meant that they will slug us, but to simply assume that they won't if the court finds against us would be rather 'courageous'.

The Eels had not attempted to register the contract with the NRL after the club's officials realised the amount of money that was offered to Hopoate would tip the club well over the salary cap limit

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/parramatta-eels-have-until-friday-to-sort-out-will-hopoate-contract-dilemma-20150808-giujiq.html

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
????? Do you have a source for that?

Who said that NRL refused to register his deal?

The NRL can pretty much do what they want with salary cap decisions.....teams agree to be bound by their salary cap determinations when they agree to play in the competition (subject to normal avenues of appear). They can slug a team for cap space for 3rd party payments that are not part of a registered NRL contract. They can slug a team for financial inducements paid outside a registered NRL contract. This doesn't meant that they will slug us, but to simply assume that they won't if the court finds against us would be rather 'courageous'.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/parramatta-eels-have-until-friday-to-sort-out-will-hopoate-contract-dilemma-20150808-giujiq.html

I agree with what you say re NRL dping what they like with cap, which is why I can't see them slugging us.
Why would they?
It is NOT a registered contract, so has never been part of our top 25 payments. If negotiations fail betweem parties, no matter how advanced, the NRL don't administer cap hits.
Have they done it in the past?
I know the Fifita deal is not exactly the same, but similar enough in that the amount the Dogs verbally agreed was above the Sharks amount. Were they slugged?

I just can't think of any reason they would admimister a cap hit im this scenario? Perhaps they CAN - based on the assumption they can do what they please (but then again, perhaps not, I dont know the intricacies of the arrangement). But for what reason would they?

Last edited:
I agree with what you say re NRL dping what they like with cap, which is why I can't see them slugging us.
Why would they?
It is NOT a registered contract, so has never been part of our top 25 payments. If negotiations fail betweem parties, no matter how advanced, the NRL don't administer cap hits.
Have they done it in the past?
I know the Fifita deal is not exactly the same, but similar enough in that the amount the Dogs verbally agreed was above the Sharks amount. Were they slugged?

They may slug us, because the agreement signed by Hoppa, which is the centre of this dispute, was apparently an NRL pro forma contract (or similar) that Hoppa had a reasonable expectation would be lodged with the NRL. The purpose of that agreement was to secure his services as a registered NRL player. Again, they might not slug us either, and maybe we have privately sought clarification from the NRL regarding the cap treatment of any damages

Fifita signed an MOU, and knew that that document was not his contract of employment.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm buoyed by the fact that we'd no doubt have good legal advice AND have had former Cap merkin Schubert on retainer for the past couple of months.

So no matter what the outcome, whether it be plan A, B or C - we'll be sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts