What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipmunk

Coach
I'm buoyed by the fact that we'd no doubt have good legal advice AND have had former Cap merkin Schubert on retainer for the past couple of months.

So no matter what the outcome, whether it be plan A, B or C - we'll be sweet.

Or

The club has received advice and an indication from the NRL that:

1. If you make a payment to Hopoate then this will be considered under the salary cap under NRL rules

2. If you pay him nothing and Hopoate chooses to persue the matter in court, the issue is outside the NRL and is a civil matter between two parties, that has nothing to do with the NRL and the NRL will not include it in Parra's salary cap.

Hence, perhaps why the club will just the let the matter run it's cause through the courts system.

Gronk

Staff member
Or

The club has received advice and an indication from the NRL that:

1. If you make a payment to Hopoate then this will be considered under the salary cap under NRL rules

2. If you pay him nothing and Hopoate chooses to persue the matter in court, the issue is outside the NRL and is a civil matter between two parties, that has nothing to do with the NRL and the NRL will not include it in Parra's salary cap.

Hence, perhaps why the club will just the let the matter run it's cause through the courts system.

Yeah that would be Plan B.

IMHO

Plan A - pay him zip
Plan B - settle a litigation claim between Hoppa and PDRLC, or
Plan C - Pay him and it goes on the cap which is budgeted for anyway.

While this looks very bad......worth remembering that he has not been convicted of anything yet.

And here's one further reason for caution:

Former Canterbury Bankstown NRL player Hazem El Masri has entered a plea of not guilty to domestic violence charges.

The charges relate to an alleged incident with his 25-year-old wife earlier in the week.

The 39-year-old appeared in Bankstown Local Court today to enter his not guilty plea.

His lawyer, Chris Murphy, told the court the complainant was a compulsive liar and had made false accusations in the past.

Mr Murphy said there would be 20 witnesses called by the defence and the complainant had admitted in a phone call to police the allegations were false.

El Masri has been stood down in his role as an ambassador for White Ribbon Australia.

He is on conditional bail.

The case will return to court in February.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-22/former-canterbury-player-hazem-el-masri-domestic-violence-charge/6875460

Gronk

Staff member
His lawyer, Chris Murphy, told the court the complainant was a compulsive liar and had made false accusations in the past.

Mr Murphy said there would be 20 witnesses called by the defence and the complainant had admitted in a phone call to police the allegations were false.

Women reporting DV do encounter victim remorse. They blame themselves, They think that he will change. They worry about the fuss they have caused. Where will I live. How will I support myself.

Now this woman has to deal with all guns blazing Chris Murphy who clearly intends to make her look like the guilty party. Like saying that the sexual assault victim "led him on" in cross examination.

Argh.

Women reporting DV do encounter victim remorse. They blame themselves, They think that he will change. They worry about the fuss they have caused. Where will I live. How will I support myself.

Now this woman has to deal with all guns blazing Chris Murphy who clearly intends to make her look like the guilty party. Like saying that the sexual assault victim "led him on" in cross examination.

Argh.

Of course. My point is that we don't know what happened. And plenty seem happy to assume he is guilty.

84 Baby

Referee
I agree with what you say re NRL dping what they like with cap, which is why I can't see them slugging us.
Why would they?
It is NOT a registered contract, so has never been part of our top 25 payments. If negotiations fail betweem parties, no matter how advanced, the NRL don't administer cap hits.
Have they done it in the past?
I know the Fifita deal is not exactly the same, but similar enough in that the amount the Dogs verbally agreed was above the Sharks amount. Were they slugged?

I just can't think of any reason they would admimister a cap hit im this scenario? Perhaps they CAN - based on the assumption they can do what they please (but then again, perhaps not, I dont know the intricacies of the arrangement). But for what reason would they?

They may slug us, because the agreement signed by Hoppa, which is the centre of this dispute, was apparently an NRL pro forma contract (or similar) that Hoppa had a reasonable expectation would be lodged with the NRL. The purpose of that agreement was to secure his services as a registered NRL player. Again, they might not slug us either, and maybe we have privately sought clarification from the NRL regarding the cap treatment of any damages

Fifita signed an MOU, and knew that that document was not his contract of employment.

I think the NRL will just choose to ignore it, at most hit us with more scrutiny (thus why we've preemptively employed Schubert), because they simply don't want to deal with it. Especially if Hoppa joins another club and court rules in his favour anyway

I think the NRL will just choose to ignore it, at most hit us with more scrutiny (thus why we've preemptively employed Schubert), because they simply don't want to deal with it. Especially if Hoppa joins another club and court rules in his favour anyway

Maybe. But imagine what would happen if Hoppa had decided to accept one of our lower offers (as opposed to Club Y's offer), but continued the legal action for the difference in contract value, and won damages. If the NRL doesn't slug a club in those circumstances, there'd be something seriously wrong. So why should it make a difference if, instead, his 2016 playing contract is with some other club?

Incorrect

Coach
Cornish was named in NSW cup team of year at halfback. So you could say he is the best back up available at this stage. Norman makes an ok fullback but i am not sure you want to weaken one area to fix another.
Especially in the halves. Cornish will play if there are injuries.
I would say Moss was brought in for fullback cover.He will be too good too hold out for too long.Him and Cameron King have the potential too start in their respective positions.

As an aside Re Cameron King, I think 2016 shapes as a defining year in the career of Nathan Peats. We've seen his first 2 seasons with us disrupted by injury and while that can be considered just plain bad luck, I would have misgivings about re-signing him unless I could see him on the park for near a whole season. If he was to go down with a season ender in the first half of 2016 or had a recurrence of injuries already sustained, I'd be tempted to be moving him on...

Big call because he adds a lot to the team when he's on the field.... but like all players, he ain't much good if he's sitting on the sidelines...

strider

Post Whore
Maybe. But imagine what would happen if Hoppa had decided to accept one of our lower offers (as opposed to Club Y's offer), but continued the legal action for the difference in contract value, and won damages. If the NRL doesn't slug a club in those circumstances, there'd be something seriously wrong. So why should it make a difference if, instead, his 2016 playing contract is with some other club?

yeah the thing I think the NRL might struggle with is if he is only on any cap for say $100K cos he is getting big dollars from a payout by another NRL club ..... they have shown in the past they don't like a player under valued capwise

oldmancraigy

Coach

I am no contract lawyer, but one would imagine settling for a lesser amount may damage a parties power i the courts in some fashion anyway?

84baby seems spot on... it seems by far the most likely scenario! And given the club is powering ahead with other signings since the Hoppa alleged contract offer, one thinks that perhaps, juuuust perhaps Gronks point re the Schu is pertinent!

Again, none of us have all the info, but the most likely play out seems to favour the club (re the cap)

forward pass

Coach
As an aside Re Cameron King, I think 2016 shapes as a defining year in the career of Nathan Peats. We've seen his first 2 seasons with us disrupted by injury and while that can be considered just plain bad luck, I would have misgivings about re-signing him unless I could see him on the park for near a whole season. If he was to go down with a season ender in the first half of 2016 or had a recurrence of injuries already sustained, I'd be tempted to be moving him on...

Big call because he adds a lot to the team when he's on the field.... but like all players, he ain't much good if he's sitting on the sidelines...

I am not sure he adds a whole lot to the side anyway. Certainly not this year anyway. He really needs to develop a running game out of dummy half especially with the tired players we will see next season due to the reduced interchange. He seems to have a good attitude - but he has been a disappointment to me.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I am not sure he adds a whole lot to the side anyway. Certainly not this year anyway. He really needs to develop a running game out of dummy half especially with the tired players we will see next season due to the reduced interchange. He seems to have a good attitude - but he has been a disappointment to me.

Spoke to him not long ago. He said he was disappointed with his 2015 season. He reckons the biggest difference between 2014 and 2015 for him was that he averaged 10 more tackles per game in 2015 which took away from his attack. He also said the rest of the team had to do more defending on the whole because of silly mistakes and penalties down in the opposition's end meaning they gave away good field position.

I don't think Peats is going to have a great running game out of dummy half like a Jake Granville but you'll also notice that Granville doesn't play 80 minutes so he is able to go harder in those limited minutes and then come off for a break and go again. Peats wants to be an 80 minute player so of course his running game is going to be hindered by that, as long as he attracts the markers and gets the ball to the correct side of the field then I'll be happy with him.

I am no contract lawyer, but one would imagine settling for a lesser amount may damage a parties power i the courts in some fashion anyway?

Why? Given that the time delay involved directly reduced the spending power of the limited number of alternate employers, and therefore has left him with little other choice if he wishes to play football next year.

Gronk

Staff member
Nine News Sydney ‏@9NewsSyd · 16m16 minutes ago
FIRST ON 9: Gregs Bird's first interview about cocaine scandal that nearly ended his career @Danny_Weidler #9NewsAt6

Hmm. Silence is golden, Greg.

Bird was accused of organising a supply of cocaine for his October 2014 buck's party in Byron Bay from Touma - a wine merchant - using coded conversations about "Grange" and "champagne".

Prosecutors submitted several intercepted conversations between the pair, including one in which Touma bragged: "I swear to God, it's the best champagne in town."

But Magistrate Callaghan said if the matter proceeded to trial, the Crown would need to eliminate all reasonable hypotheses consistent with Bird's innocence.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-08/charges-against-titans-bird-and-harrison-dismissed/6836698

And if Touma is convicted Greg ?

POLICE have approximately 500 hours of surveillance evidence against former NRL star and accused drug trafficker Matt Seers.

The former NSW Origin and North Sydney fullback didn’t appear at a brief mention of his case in a Queensland court on Friday when it was revealed the surveillance footage and 100 hours of telephone intercepts have been tendered as evidence.

Seers, 41, is accused of being involved in a southeast Queensland cocaine trafficking ring which has embroiled several current and former sportsmen on the Gold Coast.

His lawyer told the court she was still seeking a full brief of evidence from prosecutors but had already received the lengthy surveillance and phone records.

Alleged syndicate kingpin John Touma, also a former rugby league player, also didn’t appear on Friday with his case and that of co-accused John Tobin and Peter Gianni, also mentioned.

All four matters have been adjourned until January 28 2016.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...be-heard-in-2016/story-fntwpug1-1227522444914

Last edited:

caylo

Bench
Spoke to him not long ago. He said he was disappointed with his 2015 season. He reckons the biggest difference between 2014 and 2015 for him was that he averaged 10 more tackles per game in 2015 which took away from his attack. He also said the rest of the team had to do more defending on the whole because of silly mistakes and penalties down in the opposition's end meaning they gave away good field position.

I don't think Peats is going to have a great running game out of dummy half like a Jake Granville but you'll also notice that Granville doesn't play 80 minutes so he is able to go harder in those limited minutes and then come off for a break and go again. Peats wants to be an 80 minute player so of course his running game is going to be hindered by that, as long as he attracts the markers and gets the ball to the correct side of the field then I'll be happy with him.

Granville has a great running game because he has Thurston and Morgan attracting a lot of attention and their pack as well. Defensively he is much weaker and is has an inferior ball playing and kicking game. Granville works in the cowboys system though but Peats in 2014 had ab excellent running game and was mixing it up the the halves giving us more options close to the line. If he gets back to that form he will be top 3-4 hookers in the game. Defensively there is no better hooker IMO, his line speed is so good and rarely misses a tackle.

Bigfella

Coach
In one day gronk has convicted Hazam El Masri, dismissed Will Hopoate's court case entirely, and now seems to be wanting to convict a few more blokes.

The most knowledge he is of any of them is a few snippets from newspapers. Not a shred of evidence, or any court documents.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
In one day gronk has convicted Hazam El Masri, dismissed Will Hopoate's court case entirely, and now seems to be wanting to convict a few more blokes.

The most knowledge he is of any of them is a few snippets from newspapers. Not a shred of evidence, or any court documents.
:lol: these merkin Journos can't be trusted, unless they support his point of view...........

lingard

Coach
We spent bigger elsewhere so of course one of our wing options is going to be weak because there wasn't the funds to spend there. Most of the best wingers in the competition come from within, what high profile wingers get recruited by other clubs? The only ones I can think of were Sam Perrett who went across as a mid-season signing and Brett Morris who went across and played fullback. Do clubs even buy regular first grade wingers to play on the wing?

Who knows out of Schulte, French and Moss we may be able to find a solid first grade winger who may eventually move to a different position or stay a winger.

I was only joking. I think we'll be fine for the right wing. I'm very happy with our recruitment for next year.

lingard

Coach

Argh.

You're absolutely right about all that you've said. And it's very sad. But domestic violence is a complicated issue. There are very often contexts that need to be taken into account (but aren't). The stereotype of the dominating, controlling and serially violent male is just one type of offender. Personally, I find nothing more reprehensible than that type of behaviour. Controlling, belittling, bashing another person is just evil, I reckon. Most of these people are psychopaths. They are the ones that all the politics and policies and laws and media outcries are built around. But there are many other contexts. I know of a bloke who, after 10 years of what he thought was a happy marriage, found out that his wife had been unfaithful to him over the years with at least six different blokes. He ended up hitting her on three separate occasions. Not to be condoned, but there was a context to his violence. Well, the law treated him the same way as they would the other type. And so did FaCS (because one of his kids witnessed him hitting his wife on one occasion.) The final upshot was that they removed the kids. So this bloke lost his wife and his kids.
Domestic violence is not the black and white issue that the politically correct types would have us believe. Unfortunately we have the psychopaths to blame for this.

lingard

Coach

I tend to agree. When we first signed Peats, I thought it was the best signing we'd made in twenty years. I really thought he was that good. Well, he is good - very good; but not quite as good as I thought he was. And, as you say, if he is injury-prone ......... well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts