What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

haynemagic

Juniors
Yep, Yeah I forgot you are from down there. Farrell and Adam Quinlan both played in a Culburra under 18 premiership winning side. Amazing effort for one of smallest group 7 clubs to produce 2 NRL players in one year.

Decent signing if true.
jack buchanan was in that team aswell:crazy:

hindy111

Post Whore
Farrell is nothing to get excited about. Honestly..... As one posted maybe as good as morgan.

Rona would be an awesome pick up as would Dylan walker.(thou perhaps over priced)

Doubt Des would be that silly too sign hoppa over Rona thou.

hindy111

Post Whore
Guys like Hasson and Farrell may provide depth.But they will not make us a better team then this year and are not better then what we have.If the coaches plan is to have these guys as depth then more then happy.Sometimes you need guys who can come in and plug a hole for a while and i am sure both of these can do that. Neither i would like too see starting in our side come rnd 1 if everyone is fit!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Guys like Hasson and Farrell may provide depth.But they will not make us a better team then this year and are not better then what we have.If the coaches plan is to have these guys as depth then more then happy.Sometimes you need guys who can come in and plug a hole for a while and i am sure both of these can do that. Neither i would like too see starting in our side come rnd 1 if everyone is fit!

Yes they will make us a better side. Every side has injuries and need to bring up players outside their top 17, it's normally the quality of these players that determine how a side will go for the year. Apart from being able to bring in "depth players" with over 50 NRL games which is massive bonus then bringing in a rookie, the more depth players you have the better they need to be playing in NSW cup to be able to get a NRL call up.

hindy111

Post Whore
They will help us out but not make us a better side. When we have our starters out we will be weaker and these guys will fill in. Making us better when we are weaker but not better at our best. You better understand that?

hindy111

Post Whore
West coast is better.

Better at what?
I mean is it better at having guys stick there finger up your date hole? You need to be specific-What is it better at?

Different is not always better.It comes down too personal preference. I prefer the west coast because........ Then give your reason.

I have friends who love the city. I prefer the Blue Mountains. It is not better it is just different lifestyle choice. I lie the trees and the easy going nature of it all. Oh and the fact i could one day maybe bump into Hollywood jesus. Imagine that!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
As for Farrell, he is as good a chance as most others of starting round one in the top 17. He and Morgan are the two best defensive centres in the team, and I have no doubt Arthur's will choose one of them over a better attacking option that is not quite ready to defend at centre in first grade.

We have a couple of backline positions open, without clear first choice players at those positions. This means we need legitimate first grade options at those positions, and ideally those options will be cheap enough that it doesn't hurt us to have some of them in reserve grade at any one time.

Supposing you have $300k to spend on a starting centre and a backup. Ideally you would pay your starting centre $200k (for example) with his backup on $100k (for example, and this is only to illustrate the relationship between the salaries) or even have the backup outside the top 25, on about $80k, with the entire $300k going to the starter - what a perfect world, having an NRL capable backup outside the top 25 salary cap. Or even better, having a starter who never misses a game. This is ideal because at full strength you have the least amount of salary cap on the sideline.

The way it sometimes has to happen though, is for that $300k to be split relatively evenly between two fringe players (partway between starters and backups), for example with Farrell and Morgan both on about $150k (again, this is just for example). Whichever one misses out on the top 17 spot is obviously the backup. The reason this setup often happens is due to lack of genuine top 17 players on the market. The disadvantage of this is that the guy who ends up in first grade isn't as good as a more expensive, 'genuine' first grader. The advantage is that the backup is higher quality than the backup on $100k (or less) at the club with the more expensive starting centre. There is also the benefit of genuine competition for a spot. The $300k centre with the second tier backup doesn't have anyone realistically challenging him for his jersey, whereas the two $150k players fighting for one spot are in genuine competition.

Of course, the $300k player almost certainly has no need for external motivation - that's part of why he's worth so much.

Gronk

Staff member

Gronk

Staff member
J. Kelly Nestruck ‏@nestruck · 3h3 hours ago
Anyone cover the New Zealand rugby league and want the contract of a player called Martin Taupau that was just emailed to me by accident?

J. Kelly Nestruck ‏@nestruck · 3h3 hours ago
Breaking: Martin Taupau signs three-year deal with Manly–Warringah Sea Eagles, 2016 - 2019.

Bigfella

Coach
Pretty ordinary to publish an accidental email transmission with confidential information.

Tapau is the one who suffers for someone else's mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts