What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagger eel

Staff member
As a Manly fan I'm devastated, Gutherson is quality

If I was you guys I would of tried to have offloaded Matai or Lyon ahead of this guy, Gutherson is like every other kid in his position, they want to play first grade but feel they can't whilst you have the side they currently have...

parra pete

Referee
Gutherson was selected at FB for the NSW U20's in 2014. He's in good company.

NSW Under-20s: Clinton Gutherson (Sea Eagles), Jake Mamo (Knights), Sione Mata'utia (Knights), Isaah Yeo (Panthers), Alex Johnston (Rabbitohs), Mitchell Moses (Wests Tigers), Luke Brooks (Wests Tigers), Matt Lodge (Storm), Kaysa Pritchard (Eels), Jake Trbojevic (Sea Eagles), Jakiel Mariner (Roosters), Adam Elliott (Bulldogs), Jack Bird (Dragons). Interchange: Pauli Pauli (Eels), Dean Britt (Storm), Rhys Kennedy (Storm), Euan Aitken (Dragons).

Bring back Mick Lett....

lingard

Coach
I think the only reason he's played 1st grade at all is his acceleration and probably attitude. Coincidentally Idris' major flaws.

Every other part of his game needs major work to be of 1st grade standard and I don't agree that his defence is good enough, let alone better than all the other players named, especially when added to their other ability levels.

I'm not a hater like others and I see Morgan's role at the club and assuming the club has it's shit together is paid respective to that role. My concern is if he goes in as a starting centre for the club then that is a glaring weakness that without a doubt oppositions are just going to target week in week out

Another reason he played so much first grade this year was that our second-tier cap was busted and we had a lot of injuries.

lingard

Coach
I haven't seen enough of him play. But I suspect he has the tools to become a good defensive centre - he was Manly's first choice backup centre this year (ahead of Hiku) plus he has utility value, meaning he probably has a good footy brain. On top of that he can play fullback, which means his agility is good.

He seems to be pretty fast too, and he's tall, which helps with wrapping the ball up. He might turn out to be a great centre or he might end up another Cheyse Blair. But surely it wouldn't be much risk (i.e. cost) for us to find out.

I've seen his arms and legs. Better than Morgan's.

lingard

Coach
so does this have some legs or what??? Manly have a stock pile of back line players so it does make sense. Hope it's true he would add plenty to the side.

The thing that doesn't make any sense to me is: why on earth would they want Hopoate back?

Avenger

Immortal
Gutherson is a very shrewd signing. Would not have cost the earth and can play a number of positions in the backline. At one stage he was rated higher than Tom Trbojevic but injury not ability set him back. Very good build for a fullback/centre/winger.

I am sure that Arthur and Foran know what is best. This signing has made my day. We really have a good signing here guys.

All we have to do now is rid ourselves of Hopoate and possibly buy another outside back or re-sign Recce Robinson and we are set.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I thought I remembered someone saying he was a possibility. It made sense at the time.

As for Gutherson, here are highlights of the games he's played:

2013 round 26 (jersey 19, on the left wing)

2014 round 17 (jersey 23, left wing)

2014 round 18 (jersey 19, left wing)

2014 round 26 (jersey 23, fullback)

2015 round 4 (jersey 4, left centre)

So he's scored a try in every first grade game except this year where he only played 13 minutes. Anyway he certainly used to have speed. His age and modern sports science should mean he's recovered well. I'm sure Hineyrulz and Bigfella hope so anyway.

lingard

Coach
I wonder if this strength and conditioning guy will try and change some body shapes.

AFL players cover an incredible amount of territory, much more than NRL players and they are much more leaner, like Izzy Falau was when he played for GWS.

Good to see us being innovative.

I'd like Reece Robinson to look more like George Rose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts