What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

hindy111

Post Whore
Gus is doing a great job hey. We really need some one like him at the Eels, lol

Horrific injury season in first grade yet they finished above us....

Won the minor premiership in NSW cup few years in row?
Won the under 20's two years ago -Finished 9th last year and in the grand final again.

Would you say there plan of getting together a strong Jnr base is working?
No offense to ours but wouldn't it be safe to assume of your under 20's side is winning titles chances are you have better juniors?
Ours has made the finals once in six years.

Academy hey.... Have not produced an origin level player in 10 yrs

hindy111

Post Whore
Hodkinson, Williams and Hayne disagree.

And how many are with us? NONE

HAyne is borderline 10 yrs ago Pou....9 yrs since first grade debut. Hodkinson 8 yrs ago
And T-rex - 8 yrs ago....So maybe i should of said the last 7 yrs.

Fact is other clubs are churning out a good junior or two every year.

We have Jnr-Tepai who look the goods
Pauli is a 50-50 at this stage.

hindy111

Post Whore
HA funny stagger- They say he is from a club where we have signed a few players recently.
That leads to manly......Sure we signed Moss from the panthers thou and gordon used too play for them.
Jennings would be an amazing signing! I know nothing about manlys juniors.

hindy111

Post Whore
Sure laugh at Panthers but the juniors they have churned out in last 5 years -

- R.Jennings
- WaQa Blake
-DWZ
- RCG
-Moylan
- Yeo
- Will smith
-Bryce Cartwright
- Josh mansour
- G.Jennings
-A.Docker

Sure some are average-Some are very good. But this is the production line. Most of there under 20's from two years ago are just coming thru and with the team in the GF this year i would assume there is another good bunch about to break out.
We can laugh about it but looking into our own backyard we have brought thru a couple of islander boys.No offense but there just big and powerfull. Out of 20 a few will always go ok.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ramien is only 18 and playing centre in an under 20s grand final, so he's probably contracted for at least another two years.

Demetriou is a 20 year old back rower who is also playing centre in the NYC grand final. He was on the shortlist for NYC player of the year, which was won by Ashley Taylor. It's most likely Demetriou we've signed, though Ramien looks more likely to play first grade.

Stagger eel

Staff member
HA funny stagger- They say he is from a club where we have signed a few players recently.
That leads to manly......Sure we signed Moss from the panthers thou and gordon used too play for them.
Jennings would be an amazing signing! I know nothing about manlys juniors.

Mate I never said that...

Ok I'll give you a clue, he's not from penrith

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sure laugh at Panthers but the juniors they have churned out in last 5 years -

- R.Jennings
- WaQa Blake
-DWZ
- RCG
-Moylan
- Yeo
- Will smith
-Bryce Cartwright
- Josh mansour
- G.Jennings
-A.Docker

Sure some are average-Some are very good. But this is the production line. Most of there under 20's from two years ago are just coming thru and with the team in the GF this year i would assume there is another good bunch about to break out.
We can laugh about it but looking into our own backyard we have brought thru a couple of islander boys.No offense but there just big and powerfull. Out of 20 a few will always go ok.

These are from the families that are being pushed out of Parramatta by housing prices. Hopefully we'll get a good crop of Chinese and Indian kids coming through.

hindy111

Post Whore
Played 20's for Newcastle

Played 20's for Souths

Both debut in first grade for Penrith so smart pick ups

All i am saying is we aren't not producing anything exciting bar a couple of big islander boys...Talent scouting? Honestly you put 20 110kgs 6ft+ boys into the side and a few will make first grade. Any of us could pick that.

hindy111

Post Whore
Played 20's for Newcastle

Played 20's for Souths

Are you still raving on how good Matterson -Tanginoa and Davis are? Future stars yeah?.....

Agree RAM Idris would have no downside at right price and a huge upside. Potential to be one of the best centres in the game. Worse case better then Morgan. And if things do not work out move him on after one year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Are you still raving on how good Matterson -Tanginoa and Davis are? Future stars yeah?.....

Matterson and Tanginoa are local kids so irrelevant to the 'academy'. Clubs don't get to choose which youngsters appear in the local comp. Davis still might become a first grader, but his start to 2015 was very ordinary. He finished the year well though, and he was good last year.

The 'academy' has done well to keep the right ones and not pay overs to keep the wrong ones (by which I mean, if you're going to retain a speculator beyond under 20s you don't want to have to pay him inside the top 25). But if you really want to judge the 'academy' you have to look at external recruitment/retention, in which case you're looking at guys like Radradra - a massive success story. Then there's Lavaka, Goodall, Folau, Dockar-Clay, Aloiai and Pritchard. They are all no older than 21 and all have NRL contracts for next year. And we got to choose which ones to keep and which ones to let go.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
I would take Idris with open arms and hugs and kisses.

I mean what's the alternative? Morgs? Well we all know what he offers...I mean what he doesn't. Whereas Idris has a huge up side if he aims up.

Sure he may turn out a total dud. But what have we really lost? You can guarantee that he ain't going to be that expensive. Penrith will probably carry some of the freight.

Otherwise we have Morgs and only Morgs. If Idis doesn't work out, well then tough luck for him more then us. We're no worse off and Morgs it is then.:( But if he does find himself and plays as well as he can, then wow what a pickup, you could say we have won a mini jackpot so to speak.

As for being a disruptive influence and cancer to our club, hardly. He would be an outsider and the players would treat him as such, just like the Penrith players are cutting him out right now. I scarcely believe that a club with the likes of Foran, Watmough, Scott and Gordon and the new emerging attitude of the rest of the team, coupled with the strong work ethic that coach brings, would be derailed by the likes of a soft minded, non focused and confused Idris. If that indeed was his attitude while at our club.

And if that were enough to ruin our season, then we would have hardly been a force in 2016 anyway.

I tend to think that if he still is keen enough to want to continue playing RL, then he would know that he would initially(1st year) at least show a commitment to buying in to the culture of that club.

No all I can see if we were to pickup Idris, is a potential great signing that could really give our backline some bite that most other team would find very difficult in containing.

Huge up side, very small down side if it were to happen. I say sign him.

I get it - it's Opposite Day. My kids do that too. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts