What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avenger

Immortal
No way I would risk it with Idris. As Colonel said we have rid ourselves finally of players with a poor attitudes, the last being Sandow. No need to take a step backwards now.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Can't see us signing Idris - Arthur wants to change the culture, and Jamal likes to pick and choose when to put in and be professional, and when to bludge.

phantom eel

First Grade
Sign Idris... what are we, a charity case club? Would put in for his first game until the other team hits the lead, and then bludge the rest of the match/season/his contract.

I'd prefer Morgan.

Avenger

Immortal
Spoke to a mate today who is a life long Manly fan. Knows the Trbojevic family, lives in the area et al. He is so cut with losing Gutherson. Reckons he has the ball skills to play 6. He reckons that it was not a choice between Trbojevic or him but that Gutherson was on decent coin for the next few years and we have taken over the contract in full. Lyon staying for another year pushed him out and the preference that the club has with Hiku over Gutherson.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon Idris is worth the risk, but on a few conditions. As long as with arent paying his full contract price and we have a clause that he can be sacked if he f**ks up. Plus it's a 1 year contract with a second year option in our flavour ( gives us 2 years of value).

He won't affect our culture as we can just drop him to NSW cup if he isn't putting in at training - and no more training with the NRL squad. All we would lose is one years salary. But if he performs to his ability we gain a rep quality player at unders.

And as opposed to Sandow, we could easily drop him as we have other centres in squad to replace him ( we had no other top 25 halfback to replace Sandow ).

Sometimes to build a premiership winning squad you need to take some risks on players to beat the cap. Plus plenty of other f**kwits have given good value after being dicks at their previous side - Roberts, Carney, fifita, Ferguson, Dugan....

emjaycee

Coach
Pretty much forum talk

Thought so.
My understanding is we pretty much have one spot left and it looks like it will be between Robinson and Earl. Don't think we will have any room for Jamal.

Top Squad:
1. Gordon
2. Robinson/Earl
3. Gutherson
4. Taka
5. Semi
6. Foran
7. Norman
8. Mannah
9. Peats
10. Junior
11. Manu
12. Scott
13. Watmough
14. Wicks
15. Alvaro
16. Gower
17. Tepai

Depth Squad:
Moss
Morgs
Vai
Folau
Faraimo
Cornish
Kelly
Hasan
DeGois
O'Brien
Edwards
Pauli
Nelson

Pritchard
King
Terepo
Tanginoa

That's 34 players, all with the potential to play first grade.

Last edited:

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Are you still raving on how good Matterson -Tanginoa and Davis are? Future stars yeah?.....

Agree RAM Idris would have no downside at right price and a huge upside. Potential to be one of the best centres in the game. Worse case better then Morgan. And if things do not work out move him on after one year.

Can only comment on how they perform at the time. Heaps of people thought those 3 could have been solid first grade players. Once Tanginoa played first grade you could see that he wasn't going to be anything other than a back-up.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Eels look to offload Folau

Parramatta centre John Folau is being shopped to rival clubs just six months after the club re-signed him.

Folau, the younger brother of Wallabies superstar Israel, made a barnstorming start to his NRL career earlier this season.

After a series of impressive performances, the Eels extended his contract for a further two seasons, until the end of 2017. But the 21-year-old, who scored four tries in seven first-grade appearances, has fallen out of favour and is being offered to rivals. The development further clouds Parramatta's centre stocks - Will Hopoate is taking the club to the Supreme Court after it allegedly reneged on a lucrative contract extension.
Parramatta came within a whisker of securing Israel Folau before he switched to rugby, but the dithering of the NRL at the time practically gifted him to the 15-man code. John's presence in the junior ranks was one of the reasons Izzy wanted to wear blue and gold, but it appears neither will be there in the future.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/si...-dally-ms-from-news-corp-20151003-gk0ga2.html

Seriously if there is any truth to this, we are bloody stupid. Surely they couldn't change their opinion about him within a few months, unless we need his cap space for another signing.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I'm
Thought so.
My understanding is we pretty much have one spot left and it looks like it will be between Robinson and Earl. Don't think we will have any room for Jamal.

Top Squad:
1. Gordon
2. Robinson/Earl
3. Gutherson
4. Taka
5. Semi
6. Foran
7. Norman
8. Mannah
9. Peats
10. Junior
11. Manu
12. Scott
13. Watmough
14. Wicks
15. Alvaro
16. Gower
17. Tepai

Depth Squad:
Moss
Morgs
Vai
Folau
Faraimo
Cornish
Kelly
Hasan
DeGois
O'Brien
Edwards
Pauli
Nelson

Pritchard
King
Terepo

That's 33 players, all with the potential to play first grade.

Surely Sandor wouldn't be top 25 ? Crazy if you ask me with so much time out of the game.

BTW - that's a fair backline, plenty of potential. Gee I am excited about next year.

You could also add Twal and Aloiai as potentials to play NRL. Also missed Paulo

Last edited:

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Depth Squad:
Moss
Morgs
Vai
Folau
Faraimo
Cornish
Kelly
Hasan
DeGois
O'Brien
Edwards
Pauli
Nelson

Pritchard
King
Terepo

That's 33 players, all with the potential to play first grade.

You'd have to think after signing for 3 years that French will be a part of the first grade squad for most of the pre-season. Aloiai, Ualesi will also be a part of it. Twal will probably be named with the NYC squad but will spend a few sessions in the first grade squad.

Also didn't Stags say we were increasing our squad size from last season? So even with adding those 4 players you still need another 4 for us to have a higher squad than last pre-season.

emjaycee

Coach
Surely Sandor wouldn't be top 25 ? Crazy if you ask me with so much time out of the game.

Minimum wage is $77,500.
Is Earl too expensive if we offered him $85,000?
That could put him in our 25 highest paid players and therefore in the Top 25.

Noise

Coach
http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/si...-dally-ms-from-news-corp-20151003-gk0ga2.html

Seriously if there is any truth to this, we are bloody stupid. Surely they couldn't change their opinion about him within a few months, unless we need his cap space for another signing.

I'm ok with this. I don't see him as a regular first grader or the potential to become one. Clubs do it all the time (sign someone then release them a few months later) Think Peats, Ballin, Gutherson, Api Korisau to name a few

emjaycee

Coach
You'd have to think after signing for 3 years that French will be a part of the first grade squad for most of the pre-season. Aloiai, Ualesi will also be a part of it. Twal will probably be named with the NYC squad but will spend a few sessions in the first grade squad.

Also didn't Stags say we were increasing our squad size from last season? So even with adding those 4 players you still need another 4 for us to have a higher squad than last pre-season.

Good points... I sat here and typed that off the top of my head. French and Twal won't seriously be considered for NRL spots in 2016 unless we have injuries or unless they really shine if brought into Wenty (in my opinion).

Avenger

Immortal
I'm ok with this. I don't see him as a regular first grader or the potential to become one. Clubs do it all the time (sign someone then release them a few months later) Think Peats, Ballin, Gutherson, Api Korisau to name a few

Couldn't agree more. He is average.

Parra47

Juniors
Thought so.

Top Squad:
1. Gordon
2. Robinson/Earl
3. Gutherson
4. Taka
5. Semi
6. Foran
7. Norman
8. Mannah
9. Peats
10. Junior
11. Manu
12. Scott
13. Watmough
14. Wicks
15. Alvaro
16. Gower
17. Tepai

Depth Squad:
Moss
Morgs
Vai
Folau
Faraimo
Cornish
Kelly
Hasan
DeGois
O'Brien
Edwards
Pauli
Nelson

Pritchard
King
Terepo
Tanginoa

That's 34 players, all with the potential to play first grade.

Pretty much agree with this accept I'd have Foran at halfback and Norman as a running five eight.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon Idris is worth the risk, but on a few conditions. As long as with arent paying his full contract price and we have a clause that he can be sacked if he f**ks up. Plus it's a 1 year contract with a second year option in our flavour ( gives us 2 years of value).

If no other club wanted him he might agree to a contract like that, but I suspect only someone like Jacob Loko would be desperate enough to accept those sorts of terms.

There are probably a few clubs willing to take a risk on Idris that would give him better terms than you have described here.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

It mightn't be so much a change of opinion as a change elsewhere in the squad. We would have signed Folau as insurance (it happens all the time with backup players) and now we don't need him any more. We can shop him around and if another club wants him he's free to leave with no payout, otherwise he can hang around at the bottom of the pile until 2017.

His defence is a long way from being good enough for an NRL centre, and we have plenty of wingers. He did make some awesome carries though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts