What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

yosemite

Juniors
This guy sounds the goods. Hopefullly we can land him...

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2009/08/25/73985_cowboys.html

THE Cowboys are set to make a last-minute play for rising star Tom Humble as they look to fill the seemingly long-term void left by injured fullback Matt Bowen.
But they will have to be fast.
Humble has become hot property after a stunning Queensland Cup rookie season in Cairns and is just days away from deciding whether to sign for Parramatta or Wests Tigers.
After news Bowen may be sidelined until July with another serious knee injury, the Cowboys see the 20-year-old as a player who could slot into the No. 1 jersey.
North Queensland general manager of football Dean Lance said he had contacted Humble's manager Jim Banaghan, who is in England, but had yet to hear back.
If he hasn't had a response by today, he said he may find other ways to hasten the process.
''Because of the situation with Matt, we're not going to sit on our hands,'' Lance said.
''It would be nice to say nothing is going to happen to Matt and he'll be fine, but that might not be the case and we need to be proactive and look at a couple of options. If I haven't heard back from Jim Banaghan in the next day or so, I'll get on to it.''
Humble said yesterday he was still in the process of weighing up whether to sign for the Eels or the Tigers, but indicated a late call from the Cowboys may change things.
The Northern Pride player moved to Townsville after school at St Brendan's College in Yeppoon and played for North Queensland in the 2008 National Youth Competition.
Humble said his heart still lay in Townsville, while his girlfriend also lives here.
''I have missed Townsville a little bit, all my friends are there, a few family - I would have loved to have gone back to Townsville,'' he said.
But the clock is ticking.
''I haven't signed with anyone yet, I'm still negotiating, but I am hoping I can come to a decision in the next couple of days,'' Humble said.
As well as Tigers, Eels and Cowboys, Gold Coast and Cronulla have also shown interest.
''I saw of couple of games where he played tremendously well, so he's doing some good things, Tom, and he's a good young kid and he's a local,'' Lance said.
Pride coach Andrew Dunemann, a former Cowboy, said Humble could be named both the Queensland Cup's rookie of the year and player of the year for 2009.
''He would be a great addition to (the Cowboys) . . . at fullback I just reckon he would kill it,'' he said.
''He's scored 18 tries from five-eighth, you don't get many blokes that are top of the try-scoring list in the halves. He's got a lot of tools not many people are blessed with, out-and-out speed (and) courage - he's a very good player.''

SDM

First Grade
Not as much time as the opposition wingers had when he "pinned his ears back" and went for the corner.

bradeel

Juniors
Is Tautai an on contract player we'd be releasing or is he off contract for next season? Either way, no dramas if he is off - good luck to him.

caylo

Bench
brad he was off contract at the end of this year, there was rumour that we had offered him an extension and that he was going to stay but obviously not.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2009/08/27/60651_local-sport-news.html

Eels snare Humble

James Silver

Thursday, August 27, 2009

© The Cairns Post

Northern Pride star Tom Humble has given up the dream of starting his NRL career with North Queensland after signing with the Parramatta Eels.

Humble was desperate to stay in his home state but started negotiating with rival clubs because the Cowboys
initially showed no interest in the Queensland Cup revelation.

Humble’s decision to sign a two-year deal was made even tougher because his preferred position is fullback and he has no chance of securing the Eels’ No.1 jersey ahead of Jarryd Hayne.

Pictures: Northern Pride

Humble has forgone a likely starting position at fullback with the Cowboys or Wests Tigers to join the Eels.

He said he had wanted to remain loyal to the Eels, who have courted him for a large part of the season.

"Most people would say I’m a bit silly not taking them (other offers) but I think Parramatta will treat me more as a half," Humble said last night.

"Obviously, Jarryd Hayne is the best fullback in the world at the moment but as I said to the Cowboys, if I got a call from the Cowboys three months ago I would have signed on the dotted line the next day.

"I love North Queensland and I was on their doorstep for four years."

Humble in demand

Humble played in the Cowboys under-20 side last year and trained with them in the off-season before moving to Cairns to join the Pride.

"I played 20s last year and didn’t play too bad, then I did a pre-season for free there before Christmas,’’ he said.

"Not that I wanted to get paid but I lived off savings and spent every cent I had and was willing to do it but I came up here (to Cairns) and didn’t hear a word and I was a little bit disappointed.

"I would have loved to have ended up in Townsville and if I ended up there in a year or two, I would not be disappointed. I love the place and I love North Queensland."

The Blackwater product has been one of the Queensland Cup’s best players this season and will partner former NRL player Chris Sheppard in the halves in Saturday’s semi-final at Barlow Park against Norths Devils.

Humble said the decision had weighed on his mind for months.

"Sydney is a big change,’’ he said. "I have never lived in a place like that, it took me a month or so to get positive about moving to Sydney and I finally got my head around it and got a phone call from the Cowboys.

"I left Townsville hoping to go back there but it was a little too late.’’

The Cowboys made their bid for Humble after Matt Bowen suffered a knee injury that could sideline him until July.

Cowboys boss Peter Parr said he understood why Humble had joined the Eels.

"I know that the coaching staff only made the decision late that we should talk to Tom so we understand we were behind the eight-ball,’’ he said.

"He was down the track with Parramatta but we believe we could have provided a better opportunity here, particularly with Matt but we understand the circumstances around it and we wish him the best.’’

Pride coach Andrew Dunemann said the Eels were rewarded for showing early interest in the 20-year-old.

"I think they were one of the first ones to show genuine interest in him. He did testing there and got the best results in a couple of areas for the whole club so that shows they are getting a pretty good player,’’ Dunemann said.

He said it was important Humble pushed his case for an NRL starting spot with a strong Queensland Cup finals
campaign.

* Tickets for Saturday’s game at Barlow Park are on sale at the Pride Leagues Club, Irene St, Mooroobool. Kick-off is at 8pm.

yy_cheng

Coach
Jeff Robson ==> Parra (would make it interesting who will start at 7 next year)
Tim Smith ==> Sharks

The Colonel

Immortal
Grayson Goodwin (Son of Lord Ted, brother of Bryson, Bronx and Luke) - Cronulla NSW Cup/NYC -> Parramatta

Page 12, Big League.

Gronk

Staff member
Look out, there's another Goodwin

By James Phelps | July 09, 2009 12:00am

0,,6710529,00.jpg
Tipped to be a star...Grayson Goodwin. / The Daily Telegraph

THREE of his boys have already played in the NRL and "Lord" Ted Goodwin is tipping another one will make the grade soon. With Luke, Bronx and Bryson having already made it to the top, Goodwin told Sports Confidential his youngest boy Grayson is just as talented as his older brothers.
"He is just playing in the Cronulla comp at the moment but I think he is destined for bigger things," Goodwin said.
"Lord Ted" is the coach of Grayson's under-21 Caringbah-Cronulla team.
"I said I would coach every one of my boys once," Ted said. "And I have now done that. I have been the coach of all the kids' teams at one stage or another." Grayson had a stint with the Storm last year but injury prevented him from making an impression.
"He has really come back from that," Ted said. "He has all the skills and I think he will be as good as any of the other boys. He was a bit unlucky last year and I am expecting big things from him."
Brother Bronx has resurrected his career with the Sharks after being sacked by the Raiders while Bryson is the NRL's leading tryscorer after linking with the Bulldogs.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25754925-14823,00.html

Status
Not open for further replies.