What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
Politically they must lose at least one of the big 4. My thinking is that it will be either Inglis or Cronk.

If you were Storm you'd punt Inglis. TBH he looked fat and uninterested last night. A shadow of the dynamic player than he was last year.

strider

Post Whore
Are all Storm contracts null and void as a result of the scandal ? IE Are all players free to negotiate or do they have binding contracts. Seeing that the NRL register the contracts I would say they are null and void or aren't they ?
tbh i don't know what the technicalities are ..... but they still have to honour the amounts in the contracts while getting under the cap, so I assumed they still stand .... i thought they just had to find a way to offload a few players

Gronk

Staff member
tbh i don't know what the technicalities are ..... but they still have to honour the amounts in the contracts while getting under the cap, so I assumed they still stand .... i thought they just had to find a way to offload a few players

They have a long hard road ahead of them. They need to off load players and stay under the cap for 2011. If they can't find a club to take over the full contract value of, say Inglis, then they will need to top up the contract and that comes out of their 2011 cap.

They also need to field a team for 2011, so they need to have a top 25 that will cut it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
They have a long hard road ahead of them. They need to off load players and stay under the cap for 2011. If they can't find a club to take over the full contract value of, say Inglis, then they will need to top up the contract and that comes out of their 2011 cap.

They also need to field a team for 2011, so they need to have a top 25 that will cut it.

my heart bleeds for them...NOT.

it may well be worthwhile sitting back with a lazy a half a mill to play with to see what happens.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I'll be honest, I think that's pretty unfair on the Storm.

If they can only shed players by paying the difference on what other clubs can pay them then it shouldn't also come out of their salary cap.

It's the same with Finch's top-up from us. It's f**king ridiculous that it should also come out of our cap.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'll be honest, I think that's pretty unfair on the Storm.

If they can only shed players by paying the difference on what other clubs can pay them then it shouldn't also come out of their salary cap.

It's the same with Finch's top-up from us. It's f**king ridiculous that it should also come out of our cap.

but this has been happening for years PE, we've paid out several contracts that have countered under our cap, Aaron raper, Mick Beatuner and Finchy to name a few..

strider

Post Whore
we also got the benefit of joe gulovao (sp?) for a few years while souths paid a chunk of his salary

i have no problem that it happens - just can't believe we couldn't unload finch's salary totally this year - poor negotiating from us

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
but this has been happening for years PE, we've paid out several contracts that have countered under our cap, Aaron raper, Mick Beatuner and Finchy to name a few..

I'm aware this is how it works, I just think it's stupid.

And in Melbourne's case, they are in such trouble that they'll struggle to field a competitive side for the next few years.

Fair? Probably in light of how much they've f**ked the other clubs over for nearly half a decade.

But who'd go and watch them with a non-competitive side? They don't have enough history to have built up that kind of die-hard support. Maybe this whole experience, and the victim mentality they're (understandably) developing will foster a bit of fanaticism in their fans. But I don't think so.

They're better off closing the club down than carrying on with half their salary cap going to blokes playing for other clubs.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm aware this is how it works, I just think it's stupid.

And in Melbourne's case, they are in such trouble that they'll struggle to field a competitive side for the next few years.

Fair? Probably in light of how much they've f**ked the other clubs over for nearly half a decade.

But who'd go and watch them with a non-competitive side? They don't have enough history to have built up that kind of die-hard support. Maybe this whole experience, and the victim mentality they're (understandably) developing will foster a bit of fanaticism in their fans. But I don't think so.

They're better off closing the club down than carrying on with half their salary cap going to blokes playing for other clubs.

they will bleed for a coiuple of years but they'll survive with the structure put in place by Bellamy and the funds off news limited.

they'll be fine.

TheRam

Coach
Ozzie & Ando are interviewing Anthony Watts from the Cowboys sometime in the next couple of days about signing for next season.

Gronk

Staff member
Ozzie & Ando are interviewing Anthony Watts from the Cowboys sometime in the next couple of days about signing for next season.

He's pretty raw but does have that Kinga zip around the ruck.

Gronk

Staff member
Wonder if they are planning for Robbos retirement or MK's career slide to NSW Cup ?

Stagger eel

Staff member
i'm wondering when the hell anthony mitchell is going to get a look in

yeah same...

i know he was strongly considered for the Dragons game before he hurt an ankle at training but I wouldn't imagine it would be too far away before he makes his debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.