What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors
i hope this murray is as good as everyone says he is I dont really care how good a playmaker he is just tell me he has an awesome long kicking game and he kicks 40/20's with ease
I hope that if Murray doesn't live up to everyone's expectations in his first year at the Eels that he isn't treated like a pariah by some of our fans.

Djay

Juniors
I don't know nothing about Cronk but last I heard was that it's not dead.

That he wants to come but Melbourne don't wanna release him.

But yer I'd love to see Murray play next year.

This would be my side for 2011 so far:

1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Sio/Wright/Loko
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
6. Mortimer
7. Murray
8. Poore
9. Mitchell
10. Moi Moi
11. Hindy
12. Smith
13. Horo

14. Humble
15. Mannah
16. Shackleton
17.Te Maari/Lasalo

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade

1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Sio/Wright
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
6. Mortimer
7. Murray
8. Poore
9. Mitchell
10. Moi Moi
11. Hindy
12. Smith
13. Horo

14. Humble
15. Mannah
16. Shackleton
17.Te Maari/Lasalo

Yeah it's a great side no doubt.

On Cronk....
From what I've been hearing from people with inside sources, yes Cronk definitely wanted to leave the Storm and did his level best to come to us. However, the Storm hard-walled him and said no.
These same people also say the situation is not dead, like you say........it's extremely unlikely, but it is there.
I mean, if Cronk told them he wants to be released on passionate grounds (i.e. he is suffering from all the drama that happened and doesn't want to be involved in it anymore), they would actually probably let him.
Cronk is easily the best option that has been raised, but also the most unlikely to happen, unfortunately.

It will never happen now, I think....unless something drastic happens in the next couple of weeks.
If it somehow did happen, it would be bigger for our club than the QC signing (but obviously not as jaw-dropping-still close though).

Y2Eel

First Grade

1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Sio/Wright/Loko
4. Tahu
5. Grothe
6. Mortimer
7. Murray
8. Poore
9. Mitchell
10. Moi Moi
11. Hindy
12. Smith
13. Horo

14. Humble
15. Mannah
16. Shackleton
17.Te Maari/Lasalo

Good side but the more i think about it I would have "Hayne train" all off season at 5/8, i was against the idea of shifting him to 5/8 but it seems the logical choice if we can get someone to step up to fullback..
Murray is only going to be green and Mortimer will not be able to assist him at all thats where i would have Hayne at 5/8 or even later on in his career turn into a lock...

boxhead

First Grade
Good side but the more i think about it I would have "Hayne train" all off season at 5/8, i was against the idea of shifting him to 5/8 but it seems the logical choice if we can get someone to step up to fullback..
Murray is only going to be green and Mortimer will not be able to assist him at all thats where i would have Hayne at 5/8 or even later on in his career turn into a lock...

I reckon Murray will be fine, actually. People have been saying for the past two years that he would have made first-grade for the Roosters a while ago if it weren't for Mitchell Pearce.

I would rather stick with Hayne at fullback, I don't think he is fully ready yet to actually play the five-eighth position, but I agree; it is a good idea.

Someone also suggested that if Mortimer puts on a bit of weight and keep his speed, he could be our lock? Burt would move to fullback flawlessly, but it would change the team around a bit. Say Burt moved to fullback, Hayne to five-eighth and Mortimer to lock;

1. Luke Burt
2. Joel Reddy
3. Tom Humble
4. Timana Tahu
5. Eric Grothe Junior
6. Jarryd Hayne
7. Brad Murray
8. Tim Mannah
9. Anthony Mitchell
10. Fui Fui Moi Moi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith
13. Daniel Mortimer
14. Justin Horo
15. Shane Shackleton
16. Tim Mannah
17. Justin Poore

??
However that side would be a four forwards on the bench, which is a no-go. More than likely Mortimer would just be 14 and Horo lock.

oldmancraigy

Coach
1. Luke Burt

Terrible idea.

Been down that sorry street before! Let's keep him on the wing where he does a good job defensively.
Fullback isn't his spot - and it REALLY REALLY is Hayne's.

I don't understand why any hypothetical Eels team for the future would have anything other than 1.Hayne.

Don't weaken our main strength to try and patch up a leak.

If Murray is halfway decent in firsts, then we've patched the leak anyway - either Mortimer or Humble will work well at 2nd receiver with a real half

boxhead

First Grade
Terrible idea.

Been down that sorry street before! Let's keep him on the wing where he does a good job defensively.

I don't understand why any hypothetical Eels team for the future would have anything other than 1.Hayne.

If Murray is halfway decent in firsts, then we've patched the leak anyway - either Mortimer or Humble will work well at 2nd receiver with a real half

I actually want Hayne to stay at fullback; I am one of the people that is against him moving to five-eighth. That team is just a hypothetical going off Y2Eel's and others' suggestions.

Burt at fullback blitzed it in one particular year, IIRC. He's definitely got far better positional and fullback's play than Jarryd, and is a more traditional supporting fullback than a playmaker. However, I know that Jarryd should be no 1.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I hope that if Murray doesn't live up to everyone's expectations in his first year at the Eels that he isn't treated like a pariah by some of our fans.

You mean, let's not do a Mortimer on him?

:crazy:

I agree, by the way. I was kind of guilty of doing it to Tim Smith when he was younger and I regret it.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Terrible idea.

If we could find someone who is just as good at the back as Hayne i dont see why moving Hayne to 5/8 would weaken the team.. we just need a fullback that knows how to position himself and has some speed like Brett Stewart not another Hayne ball player..

caylo

Bench
If we could find someone who is just as good at the back as Hayne i dont see why moving Hayne to 5/8 would weaken the team.. we just need a fullback that knows how to position himself and has some speed like Brett Stewart not another Hayne ball player..

Hayne is the best hole runner in the NRL, he need to get his hands on the ball off the back of a ball player and not trying to create all the time. Its like Argintina with Messi, the best striker in the world and is trying to play as a centre mid.

If we can get Hayne to follow the forwards it will do two thing
1) take some pressure off the ball carier who will make more meters
2) get him in to position to get one on one.

Hayne then can also run on the edges rather then in the centre of the field when we are in our attacking 20. Murray, Humble and Cooper (if we get him) in the halves IMO.

yy_cheng

Coach
Caylo, how would it be different to this year then? Remember, next year's pack does not have offloaders

caylo

Bench
Caylo, how would it be different to this year then? Remember, next year's pack does not have offloaders

Well he has been playing as a halfback or 5-8 in attack and not a fullback. I think in the second part of the year it improved when Robson came back to halfback but our halves cant play him (or any of our backs) into a hole so he still takes it on himself to create in the middle of the field which isnt his best role IMO.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/parra-to-make-bid-for-webb/story-e6frfgbo-1225911264905

Parra to make bid for Webb

* By David Riccio
* August 29, 2010 12:01AM

PARRAMATTA coach Daniel Anderson is planning to revive the career of former Test prop Carl Webb.

In preparation for the retirement of inspirational captain Nathan Cayless, The Sunday Telegraph has learned that the Eels are preparing to fork out up to $150,000 a season for the Cowboys enforcer.

Webb is off contract at North Queensland and is expected to make a call on the Eels offer within the next 48 hours.

Webb, who played one Test for the Kangaroos in 2008, was pushing for a two-year deal at the Eels.

But the Parramatta hierarchy are only willing to offer the 29-year-old a 12-month lifeline.

Webb has also attracted offers from the Newcastle Knights and overseas, but is believed to be favouring the Eels.

Parramatta co-captain Nathan Hindmarsh said he supported the club's move to lure the former Queensland hard man.

"Webby is an impact player," Hindmarsh said.

"I've played against him a few times, when he gets the ball in his hands, you think, 'where's he going to go?'

"He can bump, he's got good foot work, we've just got to get the big boy fit if he does come.

"He's had a few injuries for the last couple of years, but when he's fit he'd be a good fit for us."

In an interview this week Webb confirmed the Eels interest

"I like Parramatta, I can see them being a very strong club in the future and they are definitely one club I'm looking at," Webb said.

In the absence of Cayless next season, the Eels will also call on high-profile prop Justin Poore, outstanding young forward Tim Mannah and injured forward Shane Shackleton to fill the void.

boxhead

First Grade

Well if we get Webb, we know what our forward pack will look like next year.
Still though, he's 29, he's got quite a few good years ahead of him (if we have the right coach), why are we only offering him a 1 year deal?? He's worth every cent, that offer is cheap as sh*t, we should keep him for 2 or 3 years.

Unless we are banking on getting certain marquee players after 2011.....

AlexTheEel

Juniors
A one year deal would see the best out of him. He will be playing for his future every week. I think its more of a tactical move.

Status
Not open for further replies.