What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
That wasn't the point of my post at all. That team list I posted was an example to say; who the hell get's moved down? Unless we carry four forwards on the bench, which won't happen, when we get Reni Maitua back either he is going to have to work hard to come into the side or someone out of form will be moved down. What I'm asking is, neither Hindy or Ben Smith deserve to be moved down; Fui, Mannah and Poore don't deserve to be moved down, Horo has been brilliant in his first full season, and Shackleton will definitely be part of the squad next year.

My question is, why the hell sign Carl Webb then?
Way I see it, unless Webb comes dirt cheap, why should we sign him up? I can't see us kicking Horo, Shackleton, Smith, Hindmarsh, Mannah, Moi Moi or Poore out of the side.

I don't know how any of this is going to work....
Again, Ill post an EXAMPLE forward pack, so people don't get confused;

11. Hindmarsh
12. Smith
13. Maitua
14. Humble
15. Shackleton
16. Horo
17. Poore

Where does Carl Webb fit in???? If we sign both Maitua and Webb, who the hell misses out? There's no point signing Carl Webb then, because I doubt he would come if we told him he'd be a placeholder in the side until Reni Maitua came (Horo would play 13, Webb would take his bench spot).
That was the point of my post.....not who I think the team should be.

The way Horo is playing & if he keeps improving his speed, power, ball playing at and through the line & his lateral movement, he could easily go to inside center, move Reddy to Wing or to the bench. I think getting Webb is great. If anyone can get the best out of Webb it would be Daniel Anderson. Daniel would not let Webb get away with anything. Webb would find Daniel a real challenge which could bring the best out of him. Horo could become an awesome destructive center come back up forward.

1. Hayne
2. Grothe/Reddy
3. Tahu
4. Horo/Reddy
5. Burt
6. Mortimer/Robson/Humble
7. Cooper/Robson/Humble
13. Ben Smith/Maitua
12. Shackleton/Horo
11. Hindmarsh (maybe playing Prop too)/Ben Smith
10. Fui Fui
8. Mannah/Shackleton
9. Matthew Keating
14. Mitchell
15. Poore
16. Webb
17. Mason
18. Lasalo - O'Hanlon - Maitua - Filiga - TeMari - Sio - Loko - etc

A bit of a mix but this is a good mix of players

Imagine a bench of these players all playing at their best all year 2011/2012???

Mitchell
Poore
Webb
Mason

hindy111

Post Whore
I was thinking mitchel will be our hooker off the bench...
I personaly think mortimers only chance in first grade is as a hooker...
Id give humble first crack

boxhead

First Grade
Mitchell will take the hooking role.. We need a half and possibly a second rower/Front rower

We've got a halfback already; he isn't exactly big name, but if you look at his accolades you will see that even if we don't recruit Quade Cooper or some other half for next year, we should be well with the no 7.

His name is Brad Murray. He is quite easily the best play-maker in the Toyota Cup, and if it weren't for Mitchell Pearce, he would be the Roosters' first-grade halfback. He won the Dally M Toyota Cup Player of the Year award last year, and is favourite to win it this year again.

I think our second-row depth is very good; remember we've already got Hindmarsh, Smith, Horo, Shackleton for first-grade and tonnes of talented back-rowers or at least good fill-ins (Brendan Oake, Taniela Lasalo, Lee Te Mari). Plus we are apparently set to sign Reni Maitua, who at his best is devastating.

Front-row is the only problem, in my opinion. However, if we only recruit Reni Maitua or even if we don't, we can still have a back-row of
11. Hindmarsh
12. Smith
13. Horo
15. Taniela Lasalo
and then have Shane Shackleton as our fourth prop (he can play both prop and second-row).

Say we only recruit Reni Maitua from now on, you would still be looking at one of if not THE most talented sides in the NRL, say if we throw Humble a bone;

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Luke Burt
3. Joel Reddy
4. Timana Tahu
5. Eric Grothe Junior
6. Daniel Mortimer
7. Brad Murray
8. Tim Mannah
9. Anthony Mitchell
10. Fui Fui Moi Moi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith
13. Justin Horo
14. Tom Humble
15. Shane Shackleton
16. Reni Maitua (or you can start him at lock)
17. Justin Poore

Idealistically, with our depth we have got Marmin Barba (Ben Barba's younger brother) who is even more talented than Ben and plays fullback (or a utility), and all these other players.
We are covered for outside backs, with players like Ken Sio, Jacob Loko, Etu Uaisale, Marmin Barba etc.
We are more than covered for back-rowers, with players like Brendan Oake, Lee Te Mari, Taniela Lasalo, etc.
We have tonnes of five-eighths but only one or two actual halfbacks (Brad Murray will be a massive boost, but will definitely play first grade in my opinion).
Props seem to be our only issue, thus why recruiting players like Carl Webb would be good for us; they can work for their spots and be called upon if needed.

Some people think that our team will struggle next year with our roster, but the thing is, I bet any other team would look at that projected roster for next year-our full strength roster if you like-and drool like babies, wishing they could have it. We are simply under-performing, it has never been a question of talent with Parramatta, it is consistency and attitude that are our huge draw-backs.

If we play to our strengths, play consistently, play without the expectations of this year (which we will) and put in our 100% effort, we will be the unsung team of the year (like the Titans for this year and last year). Looking forward to 2011, and looking forward to the blue and gold giving Cayless, Inu, Mateo and Keating the send-off they deserve!

caylo

Bench
Assuming we sign Webb and Maitua I would play the following team

Hayne
Burt
Reddy
Tahu
Grothe
Cooper/Humble
Murray
Poore
Mitchell
Fui
Hindmarsh
Smith
Horo

Humble/Keating
Maitua/Shakelton
Mannah
Webb

If someone in the backline gets injured (which I assume will with Tahu and Grothe in the team) then Wright, Filinga and Loko and Sio are our backups. If injuries occur in the pack we have Allgood, Pele, Lasalo, OHanlan, Te Maari, Loko and Manikafoa to step up (assuming their all here next year).

boxhead

First Grade
Assuming we sign Webb and Maitua I would play the following team

Hayne
Burt
Reddy
Tahu
Grothe
Cooper/Humble
Murray
Poore
Mitchell
Fui
Hindmarsh
Smith
Horo

Humble/Keating
Maitua/Shakelton
Mannah
Webb

If someone in the backline gets injured (which I assume will with Tahu and Grothe in the team) then Wright, Filinga and Loko and Sio are our backups. If injuries occur in the pack we have Allgood, Pele, Lasalo, OHanlan, Te Maari, Loko and Manikafoa to step up (assuming their all here next year).

Yeah, that's one hell of a side.

attamarrap

Juniors
i hope this murray is as good as everyone says he is I dont really care how good a playmaker he is just tell me he has an awesome long kicking game and he kicks 40/20's with ease

caylo

Bench
i hope this murray is as good as everyone says he is I dont really care how good a playmaker he is just tell me he has an awesome long kicking game and he kicks 40/20's with ease

there is 3 or 4 awesome halfbacks in the comp and the rest are good halfbacks that can organise. Kimmorley IMO was always the working hlafback, good kicking game, good kick chase and organised the forwards and got the ball to the edges so they can cause damage.

Not an awesome halfback but with backline if he feed them the ball is all that is needed. Hayne can then worry about supporting the forwards and playing alot wider in attacking position.

Ant

Juniors
Just to let you know on the Carl Webb thing, I live In Cairns and it was reported on the local version of the news last night that Carl Webb is headed to the eels next year. Seemed pretty definite.

I think Carl Webb as an impact player off the bench is fine, he has plenty of issues with his game, but at his best he is Fui Fui style impact man who can tear oppositions apart.

The loss of Cayless will only be felt in one area and thats his ability to offload, he is one of the best prop offloaders in the game. But the return of Shackleton is like signing a new player.

So our pack will not be a problem, with the exception of hooker.
8. Mannah
9. ??
10. Fui
11. Hindy
12. Smith
13. Horo
14. ???
15. Shackleton
16. Webb
17. Poore

Then the depth others have mentioned, I'd love to know how Patty O'Hanlon is going. I think he is still only 20 next year and that frame of his would have needed time to mature.

Our outside backs are not a real problem unless someone had a long term injury. But Jono Wright really stepped up this year. I am actually happy Inu is leaving I think he contributes a lot of negatives to the side, he can be great but usually when the side is flying. He just makes too many mistakes in attack and defence.

Our issue will be the same as this year, halves and hookers. It may be even greater with no Mateo who creates plenty for us.

I hope the young fellow from the roosters has something. I have massive concerns over Mortimer, I just think he lacks genuine playmaking or kicking skills, his only real attribute is his support player and a little bit of a running game. Personally I would prefer of the guys we have Humble to get a good go at 6. Hooker is an issue, piggy riddell still around, I think he and mitchell might be a good one two punch.

Matua might be signed as a 6, he played plenty in his career, a Greg Bird style number 6. Just a thought.

Avenger

Immortal
I wouldn't have a clue re: Cooper. However if I were him I would play in the World Cup before entertaining ideas about League. I reckon he is more of a chance in 2012. Mortimer is in sh*t creek if we change coaches. Hooker or nothing in my opinion.

i agree i think andersons day are numbered, but really if he doesn't have full control over recruitment then if I were him I'd leave. It's joke if they punt him when he hasn't had his squad and can't sign the players he wants.
Our Club is a shambles.

Delboy

First Grade
ParraMatters, I will say it againm, DA has full control over who we let go and who we sign

Do not be fooled by the propaganda, there are times when what he has asked for is not what some of the officials think is correct , but he gets what he wants.

We lack fitness and direction, who is responsible for that, I like DA but am definitely questioning his performance.

boxhead

First Grade
I reckon DA was the person that recruited Justin Poore and Shane Shackleton, our two major signings from last year.

This year, we under-achieved. We have never dealt well with being favourites. Our team is still talented enough to be top four, so we don't actually need any big-name signings, all we need is a good halfback (which this Murray kid will likely provide, he is a star and even on debut in first-grade should still be good at the very least).

Status
Not open for further replies.