What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2010/2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Is that a round about way of saying they will likely be staying on as part of our second tier?

If that is the case I would be pretty happy, Oake is yet to let us down when called upon and Te Maari is the sort of fringe player that keeps your first graders on their toes.

pretty much...Oakey bless him, struck a bit of gold thanks to Hages and I'm pretty sure he's on a low 6 figure sum about 120 i think? and signed with Weller..he definitely won't be offered that but could be offered a part time deal, i know that he's currently studying to be a teacher so it may work out well for him if he choses to continue playing.

Te Maari is on wenty contract and the NRL club obviously picked him up on an incentive deal from there..

salvy71

Juniors
Brad Murray is SUCH A GOOD SIGNING people.

Robson is the absolute worst halfback in first grade (sharing the honours with Mortimer).

Murray is the BEST halfback in the NYC - and is 20 this year, so ineligible for the NYC next year.

He's 6' tall and weighs 90kgs, can run the ball, pass it and kick it. By far and away the best playmaker in the NYC.

The guy is so much better than any of the halves currently at this club it's just not funny. He's not coming here to play for Wenty folks - he sees that we don't have a halfback and wants the spot.

Be excited - no really, be excited! If you put him on this years squad we're definitely 3 wins better off just because he could direct play from the halfback spot(that's second spot on the ladder).

A mate of mine who is a Roosters fan couldn't stop raving about this kid , I certainly hope that he's as good as what I've been hearing , could be the best buy for us next year .

Parraren

Bench
Wait....
We've got the Shack to come back.
We've re-signed Horo.
We are after Maitua and Webb.
How does that work??

8. Fui Fui Moi Moi
9. Anthony Mitchell
10. Tim Mannah
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith
13. Reni Maitua

14. Tom Humble
15. Shane Shackleton
16. Justin Horo
17. Justin Poore

18. Carl Webb

???????
Unless we want to try the four forwards on the bench approach....which would be a massive gamble unless Mitchell and the others get good fitness going....
Maybe we might drop one of our centres or wingers and move either Horo or Smith to centre???? That would be dumb though in my opinion.

Reni can't play until May due to his current drug suspension.

oldmancraigy

Coach
A mate of mine who is a Roosters fan couldn't stop raving about this kid , I certainly hope that he's as good as what I've been hearing , could be the best buy for us next year .

All he has to do is be better than Robson and Mortimer to make a huge difference.... not exactly massive pressure on the kid :D

I think around Christmas time last year he saved someone from drowning in a rip at Bondi! I'm sure we could make some sort of lame analogy about saving the Eels next...

Wait....
We've got the Shack to come back.
We've re-signed Horo.
We are after Maitua and Webb.
How does that work??

8. Fui Fui Moi Moi
9. Anthony Mitchell
10. Tim Mannah
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith
13. Reni Maitua

14. Tom Humble
15. Shane Shackleton
16. Justin Horo
17. Justin Poore

18. Carl Webb

???????
Unless we want to try the four forwards on the bench approach....which would be a massive gamble unless Mitchell and the others get good fitness going....
Maybe we might drop one of our centres or wingers and move either Horo or Smith to centre???? That would be dumb though in my opinion.

Sorry but the 2nd row is no good. We would lack a running game. Either Hindmarsh or Ben Smith to Wenty or the bench. Horo has got to start. We need that hard running 2nd rower back to compliment one of the tackling machines.

parra pete

Referee
NSW Cup clubs support cease of dual registration
Written by: Brad Preston
Aug 26, 2010 5:20pm

NSW Cup Clubs have today supported vehemently and unanimously the Australian Rugby League Board's decision to cease dual registration in 2011.

At a clubs meeting this morning, the Clubs stressed the importance of the continued enhancement of the NSW Cup and the Board's decision is vital to keep the progress moving forward.

How will this decision affect players being registered with Eels and Wenty?

oldmancraigy

Coach
NSW Cup clubs support cease of dual registration
Written by: Brad Preston
Aug 26, 2010 5:20pm

NSW Cup Clubs have today supported vehemently and unanimously the Australian Rugby League Board's decision to cease dual registration in 2011.

At a clubs meeting this morning, the Clubs stressed the importance of the continued enhancement of the NSW Cup and the Board's decision is vital to keep the progress moving forward.

How will this decision affect players being registered with Eels and Wenty?

As I understand it, not at all.

Dual-registration means that you could have a player registered to play in both the NSW cup and the QLD cup. But that is being thrown out the window. So, for example, if Manly continue with the Sunshine Coast as their feeder club, then their players who are NOT playing NRL will ONLY be able to play for the Sunshine Coast (instead of sometimes up there and sometimes more locally).

Bottom line: doesn't affect us at all - affects Manly and Canberra the most. And it's good for the NSW cup AND the QLD cup imo.

boxhead

First Grade
Sorry but the 2nd row is no good. We would lack a running game. Either Hindmarsh or Ben Smith to Wenty or the bench. Horo has got to start. We need that hard running 2nd rower back to compliment one of the tackling machines.

That wasn't the point of my post at all. That team list I posted was an example to say; who the hell get's moved down? Unless we carry four forwards on the bench, which won't happen, when we get Reni Maitua back either he is going to have to work hard to come into the side or someone out of form will be moved down. What I'm asking is, neither Hindy or Ben Smith deserve to be moved down; Fui, Mannah and Poore don't deserve to be moved down, Horo has been brilliant in his first full season, and Shackleton will definitely be part of the squad next year.

My question is, why the hell sign Carl Webb then?
Way I see it, unless Webb comes dirt cheap, why should we sign him up? I can't see us kicking Horo, Shackleton, Smith, Hindmarsh, Mannah, Moi Moi or Poore out of the side.

I don't know how any of this is going to work....
Again, Ill post an EXAMPLE forward pack, so people don't get confused;

11. Hindmarsh
12. Smith
13. Maitua
14. Humble
15. Shackleton
16. Horo
17. Poore

Where does Carl Webb fit in???? If we sign both Maitua and Webb, who the hell misses out? There's no point signing Carl Webb then, because I doubt he would come if we told him he'd be a placeholder in the side until Reni Maitua came (Horo would play 13, Webb would take his bench spot).
That was the point of my post.....not who I think the team should be.

That wasn't the point of my post at all. That team list I posted was an example to say; who the hell get's moved down? Unless we carry four forwards on the bench, which won't happen, when we get Reni Maitua back either he is going to have to work hard to come into the side or someone out of form will be moved down. What I'm asking is, neither Hindy or Ben Smith deserve to be moved down; Fui, Mannah and Poore don't deserve to be moved down, Horo has been brilliant in his first full season, and Shackleton will definitely be part of the squad next year.

My question is, why the hell sign Carl Webb then?
Way I see it, unless Webb comes dirt cheap, why should we sign him up? I can't see us kicking Horo, Shackleton, Smith, Hindmarsh, Mannah, Moi Moi or Poore out of the side.

I don't know how any of this is going to work....
Again, Ill post an EXAMPLE forward pack, so people don't get confused;

11. Hindmarsh
12. Smith
13. Maitua
14. Humble
15. Shackleton
16. Horo
17. Poore

Where does Carl Webb fit in???? If we sign both Maitua and Webb, who the hell misses out? There's no point signing Carl Webb then, because I doubt he would come if we told him he'd be a placeholder in the side until Reni Maitua came (Horo would play 13, Webb would take his bench spot).

ok good point

boxhead

First Grade
Yeah no worries Jake, sorry if I came off as rude in that post actually hehe.
It's just confusing to me is all:?

Stagger eel

Staff member
i just want to reiterate what i heard yesterday and that is DA wants Webb in the squad, just so people don't have this crazy notion that ossie is the one making decisions on players.

Gronk

Staff member
Hayden Knowles will get him fit.

He'll bring aggression that's for sure. If only Mateo could have had this angry face ...

carl_webb2.jpg

Parraren

Bench

Depth & competition for spots is not a bad thing you know.

boxhead

First Grade
Depth & competition for spots is not a bad thing you know.

Yeah I guess, it's just that I think every one of the forwards we have plus those two we are reported to be signing all deserve first-grade spots :? I guess we will see you know, our team could be very different next year; you never know if Anderson may try something experimental again.

Status
Not open for further replies.