What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRam

Coach
are we any chance of getting idris, stagger? are we even being mentioned? we've got plenty of cash apparently lets use it on a star player in a position we need help in!! does that make sense to anyone?

Well he would be my priority signing. Even if we had to pay around $500 000 for him. His value to the club, for sponsors and the fans would be worth every cent of it. He is one of say 4 or 5 players in the league that can generate the kind of excitement that more than justifies his top dollar pay packet.

I say sign him and watch us go into the stratosphere as a club for sponsors and fans.

No 3/4 is worth that. And I reckon that Idris is over rated. He is a gods player but no way a superstar player. Hebhas plenty of weakneses in his game.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
In todays Sunday Telegraph, in the Country sport section there is a article by David Packwood that Sam Williams has not yet resigned with the Raiders. I couldn't find a link to the article.

If this is the case, I reckon we should offer him a contract he cannot refuse. Something like between 600k to 800k over 3 years. It appears the only way to get a quality halfback is to take a chance on a young player with a huge contract. The dogs, Newcastle and sharks have all done that this year (Henry, Hodkinson, Graham, Kelly). It is time we should do the same

Last edited:

Gordy

Juniors
In todays Sunday Telegraph, in the Country sport section there is a article by David Packwood that Sam Williams has not yet resigned with the Raiders. I couldn't find a link to the article.

If this is the case, I reckon we should offer him a contract he cannot refuse. Something like between 600k to 800k over 3 years. It appears the only way to get a quality halfback is to take a chance on a young player with a huge contract. The dogs, Newcastle and sharks have all done that this year (Henry, Hodkinson, Graham, Kelly). It is time we should do the same

I'm not sure if this is correct going by this link Joshuatheeel.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/young-raider-staying-20110319-1c1c7.html

Young Raider staying

Adrian Proszenko

March 20, 2011

A big week just got bigger for Sam Williams. The young Canberra halfback has topped off a memorable NRL debut - and his 20th birthday - with a new contract that will keep him in the nation's capital until the end of 2013. Williams received a late call-up to replace the injured Matt Orford for the round-one clash with Cronulla, and set up two tries. ''The Raiders are on the verge of pretty big things,'' said Williams.

Maroubra Eel

Coach

We tried that with Mortimer. It's a gamble.

Scorer

Juniors
This is not a witch hunt on Mortimer and Robson. But results and points on the board over the last year clearly indicate there's a problem with our attack which stem from our halves.

With all halves in the league they need to take the right option in attack, from when to pass (short, long, inside, outside) and to when to kick (long, short, high, grubber). With Mortimer his passing game for a 5/8 is sub par. All he seems to be only to do is pass the ball inside to a forward or short to a centre on the outside. He is not capable of passing a cut our ball and does not ask questions of the oppositions defence. His kicking in ineffective and the game against Souths all his "long kicks" went straight to the opposition fullback.

From what I saw of Tom Humble last year he has a good passing game, who is more than capable of throwing a cut out ball and is able to run the ball. He was a standout in the QLD cup before he came to Parra and therefore worth given a chance to prove himself in the 5/8 position.

Besides that I seem to recall one P Sterling giving him huge wraps last year and said he would make a good 5/8 and we all know what a good judge of footballing talent Sterlo is.

boxhead

First Grade
Again, I'm more inclined now to give Humble a go, but unfortunately we still don't know when he will be back playing and he would be completely lacking in match fitness. He isn't an option for a few weeks sadly. The only other two worth mentioning are Murray, who is horribly out of form, and a move of Hayne to the halves, which seems like a bad idea.

Gordy

Juniors
Well there you go.... I wasn't doubting you mate. That was the only reference I could find for Sam Williams. I doubt they would let him go easily if he isn't re-signed already. My only problem with Sam Williams is that Raider Pete has wraps on him. That can't be a good sign. :D

hindy111

Post Whore
We need to take step in the right direction and sign or young talen first...Taniela must be re-signed.Same as Mitchell Rorby Brien and throw Casey another year extension...We need to stop letting the young guys slip thru the ranks

MrT

Juniors
I also remember many saying that no way would they want Blake Ferguson for $220k. Well put your hand up if you want him now. He'll make origin this year at the rate he's going

boxhead

First Grade
I also remember many saying that no way would they want Blake Ferguson for $220k. Well put your hand up if you want him now. He'll make origin this year at the rate he's going

Five tries in three games, a hat-trick of them coming when his team was dominated. People might say he's a moron but he's actually a nice young kid, it's just that the people who get in his ear aren't good for him.

Oh and here come the inevitable Tim Smith rumours :sarcasm: :crazy:
Mid-season signing FTW!

forward pass

Coach

The Panthers virtually released Michael Gordon last season - we could have snapped him up for a good price. How handy would he be now.

Although in fairness - we weren't to know that Tahu and Grothe would move on!

pedge

Juniors
The Panthers virtually released Michael Gordon last season - we could have snapped him up for a good price. How handy would he be now.

Although in fairness - we weren't to know that Tahu and Grothe would move on!

Yep…grothe retiring and tahu leaving have really left us in a massive hole…whilst we are in desperate need of a half, had those 2 hung around, we at least would have looked a lot better with a backline of:
Hayne
Burt
Tahu
Reddy
Grother

The decision to let Inu go was the right one, IMO, when we had these players…similarly, saving our money for a half and not going after guys like Ferguson and Gordon.
Unfortunately, the decision to retire/problems with Tahu were unforeseen.
We have found ourselves in an extremely similar situation. At the end of 03, we let W.Tonga go to the dogs, as at the time, we had two international centres in vaeliki and lyon…and well, we all know what happened after rd 1 in 04

Stagger eel

Staff member
Wallace is contracted next year and you know what i heard?? (surprise surprise) we want to talk to him....

when will we ever learn??

Status
Not open for further replies.