What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 Baby

Referee
A handful of good games in 2 years is not taking it with both hands imo! I would love to know the chances he took???? I must have missed it.....

Obviously MK is a gun trainer, he has the right attitude and does as he is told, unfortunately though, he doesn't do well on the field often enough!

I am disappointed about Mitchell and I think it is a mistake but it is the coaches decision and he will live and die by it......nothing I can do about it except support the team.
Whilst I agree he has rarely has a MOM game, not only is he obviously a gun trainer with great attitude, if you think his poor games outnumber his good games this year then I suggest you take the blinkers off. Not only that, all the aspects of his game that people here criticise have vastly improved this year

MrT

Juniors
MK has improved this year, played his best game of the year when he came back from the dog bite. Perhaps he needs a shark bite to make him better thna Cameron Smith. He's played close to 100 games in first grade and I would expect more from him because of that. Just hope he keeps improving

foreel

Juniors
It kills me when he picks up the ball, takes a few steps and then shows the ball and then delays a pass and by then the defence is up in our face.

Just pass the ball from the ground sharply

You can count on one hand the number of times in a match that Cameron Smith passes the ball straight off the ground (on tackles other than the last), are you saying Cameron Smith should change his game?
I'm sure if Keating was instructed to pass off the ground, he would, it's not hard, but that's not the way the modern game is played.

caylo

Bench
MK has improved this year, played his best game of the year when he came back from the dog bite. Perhaps he needs a shark bite to make him better thna Cameron Smith. He's played close to 100 games in first grade and I would expect more from him because of that. Just hope he keeps improving

His last 5-6 games MK has looked dangerous out of dumby half, he is running good lines and getting the forwards well over the advantage line. He is no cameron smith but IMO he is trying to play a similar role. MK wont win you games on his own but that is why Hayne and Sandow will be getting the big dollars.

MK is a great defender, he has a good kicking game and his passing is pretty good. Yes Mitchell probably has a better passing game and is nippy but if SK thinks that MK can play 80 min then what is the point of carrying Mitchell to play wenty. While Mitchell may be NRL quality he may not fit SK plans and style which is fair enough.

Tony Bongo

Bench

He actually played a bloody good game (a MOM like performance from memory) before the dog had a chew on his finger. If you think that since then, even though interrupted by injury,he has played a better game than that ("his best game of the year"), then wouldn't it be fair to say that he has already kept improving ?

boxhead

First Grade
How "high profile" would you say this player is, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being no-name, 10 being huge-name.

I have a degree in psychology obviously :eek:

:lol: Jokes, don't answer if you don't want to.
Interesting, and sad to hear about Ants. Oh well, life goes on.

caylo

Bench
How "high profile" would you say this player is, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being no-name, 10 being huge-name.

I have a degree in psychology obviously :eek:

:lol: Jokes, don't answer if you don't want to.
Interesting, and sad to hear about Ants. Oh well, life goes on.

so 1=Tautai and 10=Thurston?

Kornstar

Coach
Why? Because his service from dummy-half is "slow" according to the vast armchair coaches on this site?

Matt Keating defends just as well, if not better, than any other hooker out there. He is just as fit, if not fitter, than any other hooker out there. He has a pretty handy kicking game (which inexplicably he rarely uses) and when he does run from dummy-half he looks dangerous. So how is it he doesn't perform well enough according to you? I can't recall Matt Keating costing us any games because of his ineptitude.

I have watched him come through the grades and never saw anything other than a solid player. I was surprised when he started playing regular first grade tbh!

You ask how many games he has lost for us, I ask, how many has he won for us?

You even say that he has a good kicking game but doesn't use it, or his running game, could it just be that he is not good enough to pull it off all the time?

Is it too much for me to ask why we don't have a real quality hooker when it is so important?

This is not even an attack in MK, he tries his best and is a great defender but I want more from our hooker then that.......I have nothing against him either, I just don't personally rate him that highly at hooker, I would however not have a problem with him being in our 17 somewhere, just not hooker.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I have watched him come through the grades and never saw anything other than a solid player. I was surprised when he started playing regular first grade tbh!

You even say that he has a good kicking game but doesn't use it, or his running game, could it just be that he is not good enough to pull it off all the time?

Is it too much for me to ask why we don't have a real quality hooker when it is so important?

This is not even an attack in MK, he tries his best and is a great defender but I want more from our hooker then that.......I have nothing against him either, I just don't personally rate him that highly at hooker, I would however not have a problem with him being in our 17 somewhere, just not hooker.

And Mitchell has displayed all this in spades, right?

Could it be that Steven Kearney doesn't want his hookers kicking? No - it's just easier to assume the player in question is crap, isn't it?

I admire hookers that can run and kick as well as defend and pass. But it isn't essential like those traits are with a halfback or a five-eighth or preferably both. It's like having a fullback with Hayne's skill set - he can pass, kick and run, but a fullback only really needs to be able to catch, run and tackle. Anything else is a bonus.

Matt Keating is not a superstar, no. But neither is Anthony Mitchell - I like Mitchell and see he has a lot of potential, but I am thinking that, combining his disciplinary issues with his size, and combining the fact that up to this day he hasn't been able to cement a spot in our side, he will not be a player who plays all that much First Grade. Matt Keating, on the other hand, will - whether it's all at hooker or he eventually gets moved remains to be seen. But Matt clearly has a good work ethic, has no disciplinary issues of which to speak and has been re-signed twice by two different coaches by now (I think; correct me if I am wrong) - clearly he is doing something right.

Anthony Mitchell had untapped potential. I think Kearney saw this and tried to give the kid a go, but Anthony blew it. Mooks then decided that with Matt being a good 80-minute player and McGuire being able to assist Keating by either starting or coming off the bench, that we were better off. After all, neither of those two blokes has had a history of discipline problems, and truth be told, I do not believe that Mitchell's release was a decision taken lightly. I believe if one were to inquire with the powers that be, they would happily admit that Anthony, talented as he is, is more trouble than a bloke in his shoes is worth - it would be different if he were an established First Grader, but as it stands, he's a fringe player. And with the issues of a seasoned veteran...

MrT

Juniors
You can count on one hand the number of times in a match that Cameron Smith passes the ball straight off the ground (on tackles other than the last), are you saying Cameron Smith should change his game?
I'm sure if Keating was instructed to pass off the ground, he would, it's not hard, but that's not the way the modern game is played.

well when Keating takes the ball from dummy half, does he have the same impact Smith does? Please.

If Matt Keating was a hooker at another club and off contract, how many here would say, lets buy him?

MrT

Juniors

f**king BINGO and about time

Eelementary

Post Whore
well when Keating takes the ball from dummy half, does he have the same impact Smith does? Please.

If Matt Keating was a hooker at another club and off contract, how many here would say, lets buy him?

I think Cronulla, the Roosters, maybe the Dragons (especially with rumours of Young to the back-row and Fien going with Bennett), and maybe the Cowboys could all use him in their side. I am sure their fans would disagree, but my point is that interest would be shown - matter of fact, although we were never in trouble of losing Matt in the first place, I am pretty sure the last time he was off contract a few clubs showed interest...

But that way of rationalising things is flawed. It doesn't take into consideration clubs' rosters, players' ages, etc. For instance, how many clubs would sign Hindy or Moimoi right about now? Not many - because they're each like 200 years old (in football terms). Does this mean they are bad players? No.

caylo

Bench

MrT I see where you are coming from but you have to look at from this perspective.

How many teams have a spine of Slater, Lockyer, Thurston and Smith... none. You can't have the best players in the one team and you cant compare every player to the likes of Smith, Lockyer and Thurston.

Tigers have Benji and Farah and are set to loose at least two of Moltzen, Lui and McKinnon

Brisbane have Lockyer (one very little money apparently), Wallace, Hoffman and McCullough and are set to loose lockyer with their replacement coming from within the club.

Storm probably have the best spine with Slater and Smith but Cronk was always a makeshift halfback who looks better with Smith inside him and Widdop looks good but is young.

the list goes on and on, the top teams have two high quality players in their spine and at best one to two good players in the other positions.

We have Hayne and Sandow who make up our two top players in our spine. Roberts and MK have a roll to play, MK will make sure we get over the advantage line and will back up our halves while Roberts will interchange with Hayne as a short side - open side player. If MK kicks once a game and makes a few good dumby half runs he has done his job by ensuring the defense isn't purely fixated on Sandow.

Essentially MK is not there to wing games, he is there to play his role just as guys like Hornby and Young do for the dragons or Friend for the titans.

MrT

Juniors
MrT I see where you are coming from but you have to look at from this perspective.

How many teams have a spine of Slater, Lockyer, Thurston and Smith... none. You can't have the best players in the one team and you cant compare every player to the likes of Smith, Lockyer and Thurston.

Tigers have Benji and Farah and are set to loose at least two of Moltzen, Lui and McKinnon

Brisbane have Lockyer (one very little money apparently), Wallace, Hoffman and McCullough and are set to loose lockyer with their replacement coming from within the club.

Storm probably have the best spine with Slater and Smith but Cronk was always a makeshift halfback who looks better with Smith inside him and Widdop looks good but is young.

the list goes on and on, the top teams have two high quality players in their spine and at best one to two good players in the other positions.

We have Hayne and Sandow who make up our two top players in our spine. Roberts and MK have a roll to play, MK will make sure we get over the advantage line and will back up our halves while Roberts will interchange with Hayne as a short side - open side player. If MK kicks once a game and makes a few good dumby half runs he has done his job by ensuring the defense isn't purely fixated on Sandow.

Essentially MK is not there to wing games, he is there to play his role just as guys like Hornby and Young do for the dragons or Friend for the titans.

Don't get me wrong, MK is still young enough to improve and I think he's not too far away from where he should be to be called a good hooker. The Hooker today is a playmaker, well the better ones are anyway.

I think MK fits in with SK's structure. If his attack can improve I'll be more than happy

Kornstar

Coach
And Mitchell has displayed all this in spades, right?

Could it be that Steven Kearney doesn't want his hookers kicking? No - it's just easier to assume the player in question is crap, isn't it?

I admire hookers that can run and kick as well as defend and pass. But it isn't essential like those traits are with a halfback or a five-eighth or preferably both. It's like having a fullback with Hayne's skill set - he can pass, kick and run, but a fullback only really needs to be able to catch, run and tackle. Anything else is a bonus.

Matt Keating is not a superstar, no. But neither is Anthony Mitchell - I like Mitchell and see he has a lot of potential, but I am thinking that, combining his disciplinary issues with his size, and combining the fact that up to this day he hasn't been able to cement a spot in our side, he will not be a player who plays all that much First Grade. Matt Keating, on the other hand, will - whether it's all at hooker or he eventually gets moved remains to be seen. But Matt clearly has a good work ethic, has no disciplinary issues of which to speak and has been re-signed twice by two different coaches by now (I think; correct me if I am wrong) - clearly he is doing something right.

Anthony Mitchell had untapped potential. I think Kearney saw this and tried to give the kid a go, but Anthony blew it. Mooks then decided that with Matt being a good 80-minute player and McGuire being able to assist Keating by either starting or coming off the bench, that we were better off. After all, neither of those two blokes has had a history of discipline problems, and truth be told, I do not believe that Mitchell's release was a decision taken lightly. I believe if one were to inquire with the powers that be, they would happily admit that Anthony, talented as he is, is more trouble than a bloke in his shoes is worth - it would be different if he were an established First Grader, but as it stands, he's a fringe player. And with the issues of a seasoned veteran...

Not sure why you are talking as if I am comparing him to Mitchell? I didn't mention him?

My thoughts are on Keating, nothing to do with Mitchell :? If SK has made the decision, so be it, I hope he fulfills his potential at the Roosters.......

As I said, MK obviously does everything right at training and has the attitude of Burt, I just question that in the position of hooker, is solid, good enough......for me, it is not!

I actually liked his work in 2009 when he came back on the field in the second half, that is why I think he has a place in our 17!

Bigfella

Coach
The only high profile players I could guess at would be Willie tonga to play with reni or izzy folau.

Any others?

boxhead

First Grade
I dunno though, what high-profile player would possibly be released half-way through the season? Very strange.....I guess we will know soon enough whether it eventuates.

A question for MrT or Staggs, should we be excited or very excited about this possible signing?

MrT

Juniors
I dunno though, what high-profile player would possibly be released half-way through the season? Very strange.....I guess we will know soon enough whether it eventuates.

A question for MrT or Staggs, should we be excited or very excited about this possible signing?

The player I had in mind is in fact a target for next year and not this year. There is a player we may get before June 30 though

boxhead

First Grade
The player I had in mind is in fact a target for next year and not this year. There is a player we may get before June 30 though

Ah ok, thanks. I thought it was a bit odd that we would be able to pick up a high-profile player halfway through the season, but now I guess I have two potential signings to get excited about :)

Status
Not open for further replies.