What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Spend some time in Ermo and get back to me.

I spent my teenage years all around there - I had a bunch of mates at Marsden High.

And while I'm sure there's still a bunch of bogans and islanders in Ermington I bet you a million dollars there's a lot less of them than there were 20 years ago.

Gronk

Staff member
My Dad used to park outside Ermo pub and leave my bro and I in the car. He kept the lemon squashes and S&V chips up and we were happy. Pretty sure you'd go to the big house if you did that these days.

Who you calling a fkn bogan ?

Suitman

Post Whore
I spent my teenage years all around there - I had a bunch of mates at Marsden High.

And while I'm sure there's still a bunch of bogans and islanders in Ermington I bet you a million dollars there's a lot less of them than there were 20 years ago.

I see your point about changing demographics, but why couldn't our next Jarryd Hayne be a Rajeev or a Dilshin? It takes time I know, but it'll happen.

Suity

SDM

First Grade
My Dad used to park outside Ermo pub and leave my bro and I in the car. He kept the lemon squashes and S&V chips up and we were happy. Pretty sure you'd go to the big house if you did that these days.

Who you calling a fkn bogan ?

I bet it was Friday Arvo too. Oooh yeah, free strippers.

84 Baby

Referee
I don't think our local junior competition will be the answer either though.

The demographics of Parramatta are changing. The socio-cultural groups who made the Parramatta district so strong in the 90s - bogans and islanders - are moving west and being replaced by groups less likely to display rugby league talent.

If we're going to have strong junior rep teams it'll be because we fill them with kids recruited from Queensland and country NSW.
Clearly you don't live in the Parramatta District. You are right there is now a higher proportion of Asians, Indians, non-Bogan Whities, etc in Parramatta but that's only in % terms, the actual numbers of Bogans and Islanders in Parramatta are still massive

Gronk

Staff member
Nah, Lingerie Football will take over NRL/AFL/Rugby/Football as the National Sport in 2020.

Lingerie.jpg

SDM

First Grade
I was at Trivia one night at the Ermo and a massive brawl broke out over one of the questions!! Gotta love that place. :lol:

Suity

:lol: I had 2 bags of shopping pinched from my car while I ran into the TAB. Should have wound up the windows.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I see your point about changing demographics, but why couldn't our next Jarryd Hayne be a Rajeev or a Dilshin?

Genetics mate. Everyone knows Indians aren't real black guys.

Although if they support the club it doesn't really matter how many of them come through the grades.

When I coached my little brother's under 7s side, one of the kids brought his mate - this little Afghan kid - to training. He was tough as nails and the little f**ker tackled like a demon. But in the end his parents wouldn't let him play.

But maybe when he grows up and has his own kids he'll let them play.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Clearly you don't live in the Parramatta District. You are right there is now a higher proportion of Asians, Indians, non-Bogan Whities, etc in Parramatta but that's only in % terms, the actual numbers of Bogans and Islanders in Parramatta are still massive

Fair point but since we're competing with other clubs - Penrith, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Newcastle, et al - whose absolute numbers of bogans and islanders are growing, then we're effectively still behind if our absolute numbers (from which we might recruit our junior rep teams) are not likewise increasing.

Suitman

Post Whore
Genetics mate. Everyone knows Indians aren't real black guys.

Although if they support the club it doesn't really matter how many of them come through the grades.

When I coached my little brother's under 7s side, one of the kids brought his mate - this little Afghan kid - to training. He was tough as nails and the little f**ker tackled like a demon. But in the end his parents wouldn't let him play.

But maybe when he grows up and has his own kids he'll let them play.

Mate, I grew up playing league at school in the late 70's. Around the time of the last refugee influx. They just happened to be Vietnamese then.
We had a kid that was "allocated" to our school in Dundas. Couldn't speak a word of English, but made the First XIII on the wing. Was as fast as that Looney Tunes Road Runner dude. Beep Beep. He ended up being one of our best players and became a school legend. It can happen.

In saying that, I don't know many Vietnamese players in the NRL, so to be perfectly honest, I haven't a clue what my point is. :lol:

Suity

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Mate, I grew up playing league at school in the late 70's. Around the time of the last refugee influx. They just happened to be Vietnamese then.
We had a kid that was "allocated" to our school in Dundas. Couldn't speak a word of English, but made the First XIII on the wing. Was as fast as that Looney Tunes Road Runner dude. Beep Beep. He ended up being one of our best players and became a school legend. It can happen.

I remember playing against Fairfield Pats in the early 90s and half their backline were Vietnamese. They were only little blokes but didn't lack for footwork or toughness. I remember chasing their fullback in a circle like a f**king simpleton.

In saying that, I don't know many Vietnamese players in the NRL, so to be perfectly honest, I haven't a clue what my point is.

There's nothing stopping a kid of any ethnicity from being a star in junior footy. But at the top level it's heading more and more toward the first requirements of a player being speed and strength. That's why Polynesians make up about 1 in 3 NRL players even their numbers in the wider population aren't even close to that. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know already.

That said, there are always outliers. There's a Chinese guy in the NBA for example, so I'm sure we'll eventually see an Asian player in the NRL.

And Alex Chan doesn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.