What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings and More Crap XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
Was listening to MMM and Brett Read sai dthat Tonga will not be at the club in 2015. He said that with Fui, Ben Smith and a bunch of nuffies leaving, it will allow for upgrades to some of the telented kids.

On the Q of big signings, he said that the club didn't have the coin to participate in the market.

He then went on to talk about Hoppa & Hayne. Suggesting that the DOGS plan to make a play for both and hope to get one.

On Inu; he'd be useful IMO as a fill in winger or centre. At least he can kick a goal too.

Was listening to MMM and Brett Read sai dthat Tonga will not be at the club in 2015. He said that with Fui, Ben Smith and a bunch of nuffies leaving, it will allow for upgrades to some of the telented kids.

On the Q of big signings, he said that the club didn't have the coin to participate in the market.

He then went on to talk about Hoppa & Hayne. Suggesting that the DOGS plan to make a play for both and hope to get one.

On Inu; he'd be useful and a fill in winger or centre. At least he can kick a goal too.

Got to laugh at the dogs trying to buy buy buy their way out of problems. It isn't enough that their pack is worth 20 mil they our players as well.

If we were smart we'd already be working on extending Hayne's deal well into the future as well as Hoppa's. Do it now before the vultures offer ridic money.

Gronk

Staff member
Got to laugh at the dogs trying to buy buy buy their way out of problems. It isn't enough that their pack is worth 20 mil they our players as well.

If we were smart we'd already be working on extending Hayne's deal well into the future as well as Hoppa's. Do it now before the vultures offer ridic money.

Players might be wary with the Dogs after the Fifita dramas. Being offered $800k a year and then being told that only half of that is guaranteed is dishonest. 3rd party deals might make teams like the Dogs big players in the market, but they can fall through just as easy. Just ask Gasnier and the Rugby bloke from the Force (EDIT Giteau). Both were left with crumbs after the 3rd party deals went sour. Both had to go to Europe to claw back earnings.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Not sure how we couldn't afford to keep hayne / hoppa if the dogs could sign them. They may not have backs on huge money but gee their forward pack must be on a few dollars plus they need to re-sign hodkinson. Also Reynolds/Morris wouldn't be cheap

Craig Johnston

First Grade
the dogs are also chasing brett stewart, so hopefully des's relationship with him can do us all a favour and have manly be the one that loses out.

Avenger

Immortal

On Inu; he'd be useful IMO as a fill in winger or centre. At least he can kick a goal too.

Hoppa and Hayne will both stay.

hindy111

Post Whore
Hoppa will leave the eels after his contract is up.I think that's a given.He is a money chaser and why he joined us in the first place.

Secondly if we keep him at centre we wouldn't be able to offer him the sort of coin that the dogs or manly could -Using him at fullback.
We already have a 1 on massive $$.An expensive Halfback and 5/8th.Our 9 would be best value for money.
Manly have two halves on big $$ but there hooker wouldn't be and the question is how long will Lyons and Stewart be around.The dogs as much as people on here wynge don't have too many expensive players bar T-rex.There new 9 leika? was signed for 300k and there two halves would not be on silly money.Same goes for there backline (bar morris)
As a club and keeping the salary cap in mind I wouldn't pay a centre any more than 400k. A top class fullback thou you could justify 800k+

Hayne will be 27 next year. 28 when Hoppa goes (assuming). Hoppa will be 24.
You would think Hayne will have another 4 yrs left in him. So how much do we spend on a centre of hoppa's quality?

Every game this year hoppas been good.But if we replaced him with say Morgan, how many results would of been different? Id say not NONE.
Hayne-Sandow-Peats have been the guys who have " WON " us games. with there touch of class. And the forwards with there grit.

As much a id hate too see Hoppa tearing it up at the dogs or manly, he isn't our junior so I wont care too much. And would rather it than us paying overs and keeping him at centre

hindy111

Post Whore
Unless - We move Hoppa to fullback and hayne does go to the Halves in 2016.I guess depends on if we keep Sandow, how Norman goes and the development of Ryan matterson.

Norman may find himself in the centres where I think he would go ok.

TheRam

Coach
To tell you all the truth, I'm still not totally convinced with Hoppa. I mean yes he is a very committed and talented player, but speed he has not. And speed for centres/wingers in todays game is vital, not just for lethal attacking strikes but for defensive recovery. Look at how many times the Morris brothers have had to turn around and chase down players who have broken into the back field. How many times has Hoppa done that successfully. Well I can't think of any. None.

So over the long haul I am not convinced. He has magical hands though and timing, but speed, where is his speed? I really want to hold off on him till mid next season. If that means we lose him, so be it. It would only be to some ridiculous money offer and no centre in this current competition is worth more than $600 000 and definitely not one that can be defensively weak at times. I think his real worth is around $500 000, anything more than that we are paying overs.

As for Hayne, we should open up re-signing discussion as soon yesterday. There is not time to waste whatsoever. If we don't our management have some serious rocks in their heads.

Yeh, I'm with The Ram on this one. Hoppa is a very, very good player, but is replaceable at centre. Hayne isn't realistically replaceable (at similar quality) at fullback.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
we're talking about a bloke who's only been back playing league for 12 games after not touching a football for 2 years......

this discussion is probably going to be redundant towards the back end of his contract

Gronk

Staff member
Yeh, I'm with The Ram on this one. Hoppa is a very, very good player, but is replaceable at centre. Hayne isn't realistically replaceable (at similar quality) at fullback.

+1

He'd need to find some pace and a line break for me to want to pay $800k again. :crazy:

Also, the need for Hayne to play 6 now is zero. Norman is very good at what he does.

Avenger

Immortal
Hoppa will not forget which club were patient whilst he was door knocking. He is a decent man. He will not be leaving. Anyone wanna bet? Favourite charity would be nice.

Last edited:

Pazza

First Grade
Hoppa will not forget which club were patient whilst he was door knocking. He is a decent man. He will not be leaving. Anyone wanna bet?

+ 1

Anyone doubting the man's ability to play footy needs to get a clue. As for any suggestions about his motives to sign for parra and the size of his wage are pure speculation.

Gronk

Staff member
Hoppa will not forget which club were patient whilst he was door knocking. He is a decent man. He will not be leaving. Anyone wanna bet? Favourite charity would be nice.

Decent man or not. NSW Reps don't take pay cuts.

Someone will offer him a gabillion to play fullback.

Sticky and Dogs will throw the cheque book at him.

Pazza

First Grade
Decent man or not. NSW Reps don't take pay cuts.

Someone will offer him a gabillion to play fullback.

Sticky and Dogs will throw the cheque book at him.

What to say we can't retain him? Most of our squad is off contract in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.