What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings and More Crap XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Joely, you mis-represent people's point (well mine anyway).

This mob f**king LOVES a strawman. The only question is whether or not it's intentional.

Hoppa is, in my opinion, easier to replace than Hayne (we would lose less if he left than in Hayne left). Now you can speculate all you like about how much Hoppa may improve, but on revealed ability and value to the team Hayne is well ahead. That doesn't mean the Hoppa is not worth re-signing. But if market forces mean that we can't realistically re-sign both and keep a decent team around them, then I'd rather let Hoppa go. If we can sign both and keep a decent team around them......that's great.....and I'm all for trying.

It's really easy to sit there and say that we should just 'keep player X', but it's not so easy to balance the rest of the team if you go too hard in that respect.

Great post, Barry.

TheRam

Coach
:lol: at the people saying Hoppa is replaceable and not worth re-signing.

The guy has been away for 2 years. Has come back and made Nsw side after 12 games.
I can't think of many player who after 2 years out would be up to the ability that Hoppa already has. It's scary how good he can get by the end of the year, and then next year.

For the next 4-5 years the culture of this club should be built around Hoppa and Hayne

:lol: at people who can't understand simply written posts.

TheRam

Coach
Joely, you mis-represent people's point (well mine anyway). Hoppa is, in my opinion, easier to replace than Hayne (we would lose less if he left than in Hayne left). Now you can speculate all you like about how much Hoppa may improve, but on revealed ability and value to the team Hayne is well ahead. That doesn't mean the Hoppa is not worth re-signing. But if market forces mean that we can't realistically re-sign both and keep a decent team around them, then I'd rather let Hoppa go. If we can sign both and keep a decent team around them......that's great.....and I'm all for trying.

It's really easy to sit there and say that we should just 'keep player X', but it's not so easy to balance the rest of the team if you go too hard in that respect.

This.

hindy111

Post Whore
does anyone seriously believe this $800K crap

get a grip

No they don't, but what do you think will be thrown at him come 2016?

Also when sandow first signed for the reported 400k(1.6 for 4 yrs thou crowe said it was 3 yrs ) which made it up too 550 k.A few trusted guys on here in the know came out and said it was a lot lower than that.I wont name names. But they mentioned under 300k + third party.
Last year the same people said its 550k and killing our cap :p

hindy111

Post Whore
Hoppa is already in the best 6-8 centres in the game yet is still very young , has been out of footy for two years and still hasn't played two whole seasons of nrl. He has a lot of improvement on him

How rate them currently-Perosnaly I like a fast centre with balls skills.Thats why I rate Whare so high.
1Lyons
2Morris
3Hodges
4Whare
5.Jennings
6 Tate
7 Matai
8 Idris
I than would put these in the same category.
Hoppa-Chambers-Hurrell-Whigton-Linnet-Gagai-Dylan walker.

WHare would be best value for money but The DUke of penrith runs a fine show.
I think come next year hoppa will climb that list but not on current form

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No they don't, but what do you think will be thrown at him come 2016?

Also when sandow first signed for the reported 400k(1.6 for 4 yrs thou crowe said it was 3 yrs ) which made it up too 550 k.A few trusted guys on here in the know came out and said it was a lot lower than that.I wont name names. But they mentioned under 300k + third party.
Last year the same people said its 550k and killing our cap :p

I have confidence that Arthur wont pay overs for Hoppa or anyone.

He seems to be able to make average players punch above their weight

TheRam

Coach
How rate them currently-Perosnaly I like a fast centre with balls skills.Thats why I rate Whare so high.
1Lyons
2Morris
3Hodges
4Whare
5.Jennings
6 Tate
7 Matai
8 Idris
I than would put these in the same category.
Hoppa-Chambers-Hurrell-Whigton-Linnet-Gagai-Dylan walker.

WHare would be best value for money but The DUke of penrith runs a fine show.
I think come next year hoppa will climb that list but not on current form

I would put Konrad Hurrell at number 9 if not higher. His defense is his only problem which I put down to fitness which has improved out of sight thus his back to back defensive efforts of late, but his attacking prowess is second to none. Awesome player and my favorite non Parra player.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I have confidence that Arthur wont pay overs for Hoppa or anyone.

He seems to be able to make average players punch above their weight

One thing I like about Arthur's recruiting, including rumours thereof, is that he seems to be focusing on personalities rather than names. Our player retention has also followed this theme.

hindy111

Post Whore
Out of all centres in the NRL to have played over 10 games this year Hoppa has missed 42 tackles.Thats the second most by any. Remember defense is a big part of the game.
Linnet has missed only 9 same as chris lawrence.Tonga - 14.
Tate 16
Lyons 15
Matai & Morris similar
Anything under 20 is quite good.Not many have missed over 30.

One thing I like about Arthur's recruiting, including rumours thereof, is that he seems to be focusing on personalities rather than names. Our player retention has also followed this theme.

Seems he learnt a bit on that topic in melbourne and on the peninsular.
Best of all is that the style of play is pretty unique amongst the current crop. Kearney came with one game plan - Melbournes. Stickys was to try and not lose by 40 each week.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Out of all centres in the NRL to have played over 10 games this year Hoppa has missed 42 tackles.Thats the second most by any. Remember defense is a big part of the game.
Linnet has missed only 9 same as chris lawrence.Tonga - 14.
Tate 16
Lyons 15
Matai & Morris similar
Anything under 20 is quite good.Not many have missed over 30.

He's been out of the game two years AND has had to learn to play in the centrex (a position he's played very little footy in before, and as Pou always says, is the hardest position to defend in).

Plus given the facts above, it's obvious he's been targeted by competent teams and coaches, meaning he's had to make (and therefore potentially miss) more tackles than most other centres.

I mean by now, everyone knows how good Lyon is defensively, so teams will rarely try to single him out, whereas it would be madness NOT to target a fresh-from-his-Mission Hopoate.

Joely01

Bench
Joely, you mis-represent people's point (well mine anyway). Hoppa is, in my opinion, easier to replace than Hayne (we would lose less if he left than in Hayne left). Now you can speculate all you like about how much Hoppa may improve, but on revealed ability and value to the team Hayne is well ahead. That doesn't mean the Hoppa is not worth re-signing. But if market forces mean that we can't realistically re-sign both and keep a decent team around them, then I'd rather let Hoppa go. If we can sign both and keep a decent team around them......that's great.....and I'm all for trying.

Who's to say we will be forced to chose?

You are acting like we are the only team who will have a gun fullback and strike centre on biggish coin.

Hoppas value to the team is massively under-rated by many on here. He is first and last to training, does things like extra video sessions just to get a one up on opponents. You can bet this type of attitude comes off onto other players. It's has definetly shown so far this year by the way the club has turned around.

Yes BA has to wear most of the credit, but it's also up to individuals to lead by example, and Hoppa is just a class individual that as a club we should do anything we can to keep.

Noise

Coach

You are acting like we are the only team who will have a gun fullback and strike centre on biggish coin.

Hoppas value to the team is massively under-rated by many on here. He is first and last to training, does things like extra video sessions just to get a one up on opponents. You can bet this type of attitude comes off onto other players. It's has definetly shown so far this year by the way the club has turned around.

Yes BA has to wear most of the credit, but it's also up to individuals to lead by example, and Hoppa is just a class individual that as a club we should do anything we can to keep.

Brisbane with barba (though he is still on his bulldogs money this year and hardly a gun) and Hodges
Manly with stewart and Lyon (towards the end of their careers)

So really there is maybe manly but not for much longer...and us
Who else?

Last edited:

With respect, did you read my post? Where does it say that we will be forced to choose? My post explicitly states: "But if market forces mean that we can't realistically re-sign both and keep a decent team around them, then I'd rather let Hoppa go" (italics added for emphasis). I then went on to say that I'm happy to try to sign both. And why am I acting like we are the only team who will have a gun fullback and strike centre on biggish coin (we are not). The fact that we are not the only club with a gun full back and strike centre on biggish coin is not the point.....you don't need 15 other clubs to be bidding for the player(s)...you just need one or two clubs with pulling power and a bit of cap flexibility in the appropriate year.

Have a good one.

Joely01

Bench
With respect, did you read my post? Where does it say that we will be forced to choose? My post explicitly states: "But if market forces mean that we can't realistically re-sign both and keep a decent team around them, then I'd rather let Hoppa go" (italics added for emphasis). I then went on to say that I'm happy to try to sign both. And why am I acting like we are the only team who will have a gun fullback and strike centre on biggish coin (we are not). The fact that we are not the only club with a gun full back and strike centre on biggish coin is not the point.....you don't need 15 other clubs to be bidding for the player(s)...you just need one or two clubs with pulling power and a bit of cap flexibility in the appropriate year.

Have a good one.

I think if one re-signs, both will.

Hayne was a big reason Hoppa came to our club in the first place.

I just really hope we do resign both, I think BA knows what he is doing in terms of cap handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts