What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings and More Crap XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joely01

Bench
:lol: at the people saying Hoppa is replaceable and not worth re-signing.

The guy has been away for 2 years. Has come back and made Nsw side after 12 games.
I can't think of many player who after 2 years out would be up to the ability that Hoppa already has. It's scary how good he can get by the end of the year, and then next year.

For the next 4-5 years the culture of this club should be built around Hoppa and Hayne

Gronk

Staff member

The guy has been away for 2 years. Has come back and made Nsw side after 12 games.
I can't think of many player who after 2 years out would be up to the ability that Hoppa already has. It's scary how good he can get by the end of the year, and then next year.

For the next 4-5 years the culture of this club should be built around Hoppa and Hayne

Nobody is downplaying his talent, but there is no centre in the game getting his coin. You're spending spine cash on a player playing outside the spine.

It's either innovative or stupid.

Avenger

Immortal
Nobody is downplaying his talent, but there is no centre in the game getting his coin. You're spending spine cash on a player playing outside the spine.

And how much is that exactly? $800k? I think that figure is exaggerated.

Joely01

Bench

Do you actually think the coin he is getting is massive compared to the cap constantly going up every year?

And the speculated money he is ok doesn't necessarily all count towards the cap, don't forget.

Eelementary

Post Whore

IMO he's worth every cent, because:

* he's a great footballer;

* he's a great role model;

* he's a great ambassador for our club;

* he's a big draw card for potential new recruits.

yy_cheng

Coach
To tell you all the truth, I'm still not totally convinced with Hoppa. I mean yes he is a very committed and talented player, but speed he has not. And speed for centres/wingers in todays game is vital, not just for lethal attacking strikes but for defensive recovery. Look at how many times the Morris brothers have had to turn around and chase down players who have broken into the back field. How many times has Hoppa done that successfully. Well I can't think of any. None.

So over the long haul I am not convinced. He has magical hands though and timing, but speed, where is his speed? I really want to hold off on him till mid next season. If that means we lose him, so be it. It would only be to some ridiculous money offer and no centre in this current competition is worth more than $600 000 and definitely not one that can be defensively weak at times. I think his real worth is around $500 000, anything more than that we are paying overs.

As for Hayne, we should open up re-signing discussion as soon yesterday. There is not time to waste whatsoever. If we don't our management have some serious rocks in their heads.

I'm with you.

His is obviously a massive improvement of previous years but he's not there yet for mine.

He is definitely not even at Tahu's class yet especially for what we are paying.

I see Hayne moving to 6 and 13 in his latter years ala Fittler and Kenny when he cant do the mileage at the back or if he has another leg injury.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think the 800k is exaggerated but in 2016 he will be offered that by desperate clubs.Unless his form dips early next year.

I think at fullback you need speed.So maybe clubs wont want him as much as we think.

But lets worry about our club.If he wants to stay and on a reasonable amount he should be re-signed. But if he was too leave I think we will find someone to cover him.

As for 2015 -So im hearing we wont sign anyone cause reached our cap. So I guess Ryan Morgan or Toutai gets there chance. By 2016 Davis and Falou might be knocking on the door

yy_cheng

Coach

I definitely would try to resign him but wouldn't get into a big bidding war for him.

Hayne, however, I will definitely try and keep at all costs.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We should be looking at building this club around Hayne and Hoppa at all costs.

I have to laugh at the where has all Hoppa's speed gone??

He is only 12 games back after two years off and he is already back in origin, I wasn't expecting a huge amount of him this season. I thought it would take him half the season just to find his feet. How wrong was I, scary to think where he may be this time next season with a full off season.

Don't discount the culture of this place is changing for the better, Hoppa is not a party boy and one of the main reasons he left Manly was their drinking culture is not for him. He has a lot of good friends here and if Hayne stays I have no doubt he will stay as well. Hayne helped him get here in the first place. Add in the fact Arthur is looking at being one of the better young coaches around and the club has plenty going for it.

Joely01

Bench
We should be looking at building this club around Hayne and Hoppa at all costs.

I have to laugh at the where has all Hoppa's speed gone??

He is only 12 games back after two years off and he is already back in origin, I wasn't expecting a huge amount of him this season. I thought it would take him half the season just to find his feet. How wrong was I, scary to think where he may be this time next season with a full off season.

Don't discount the culture of this place is changing for the better, Hoppa is not a party boy and one of the main reasons he left Manly was their drinking culture is not for him. He has a lot of good friends here and if Hayne stays I have no doubt he will stay as well. Hayne helped him get here in the first place. Add in the fact Arthur is looking at being one of the better young coaches around and the club has plenty going for it.

100% agree

Joely, you mis-represent people's point (well mine anyway). Hoppa is, in my opinion, easier to replace than Hayne (we would lose less if he left than in Hayne left). Now you can speculate all you like about how much Hoppa may improve, but on revealed ability and value to the team Hayne is well ahead. That doesn't mean the Hoppa is not worth re-signing. But if market forces mean that we can't realistically re-sign both and keep a decent team around them, then I'd rather let Hoppa go. If we can sign both and keep a decent team around them......that's great.....and I'm all for trying.

It's really easy to sit there and say that we should just 'keep player X', but it's not so easy to balance the rest of the team if you go too hard in that respect.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Hoppa is already in the best 6-8 centres in the game yet is still very young , has been out of footy for two years and still hasn't played two whole seasons of nrl. He has a lot of improvement on him

The Colonel

Immortal
Biggest coup ever. We have gotten one over Manly after they took Lyon who is probably one of the best centres playing the game over the past six or so years. He needs to be kept at the club.

Chipmunk

Coach
Inu has gone well for the first 12 months when he has gone to a new Club (including when he started in 1st grade at Parra). I think he is worth a 2 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts