What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings and More Crap XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
This story might actually have some legs...

New Zealand Warriors' interest in Steve Matai may hasten Konrad Hurrell's departure

Date April 26, 2014

NRL clubs are circling for the out-of-favour Konrad Hurrell, while the Warriors are now looking at luring Steve Matai across the Tasman as someone to beef up their stocks at centre.
Hurrell was a late call up to the Warriors side that surprisingly beat the Storm on Friday night in Melbourne. Initially, Dane Nielsen was named to play at centre against his old club and Hurrell was down to play in the reserve grade team.
Even though he is one of the best attacking weapons in the NRL and has sorted out the weight issues he went into camp with in the pre-season, the 22-year-old has had a mixed start to the year.
But while Nielsen is now out of favour, Ben Henry has jumped ahead of Hurrell in the pecking order .
Advertisement
Hurrell is signed with the Warriors until 2015. It hasn’t yet reached the point where Hurrell would ask for a release from his contract, but a number of clubs are on standby should he once again find himself in the reserve grade team.
While Hurrell received some reprieve on Friday, the situation is set to become more complicated in the coming weeks; the Warriors are making no secret of the fact they are after a quality centre for next year.
Hurrell must realise that it’s going to be even harder for him to get game time next season, even more so if Jerome Ropati is offered another contract and Ngani Laumape remains one of coach Andrew McFadden’s favoured players.
The Warriors were prepared to offer Peta Hiku $1 million for a three-year contract to return to the club, but Hiku decided to remain at the Sea Eagles.
It is understood the Warriors have now set their sights on 12-Test veteran Matai.
The 29-year-old Aucklander is signed until the end of next season so he would need a release to join the Warriors, but his situation at Manly has become uncertain.
Earlier this month, Matai said there would be a player exodus at the Sea Eagles if the club didn’t re-sign Glenn Stewart.
"I’m sure if Glenn goes there will be a few boys reconsidering re-signing here," Matai said a few weeks ago. "We have built a culture where everybody who comes here feels comfortable and Glenn is a big part of that.
"He and his brother are like the glue that holds us all together, and if we lose either one of them players will review their contracts. We definitely want Glenn to stay.
"It has definitely affected me, not knowing whether Glenn is going to be here or not next year or the year after.
"It sort of makes you think about your contract and what you are going to do."
Stewart signed to the Rabbitohs last week.
The Warriors have chased Matai in the past and in 2010 were close to signing him on a two-year deal before he eventually decided to stay in northern Sydney.
Three other players who have been linked with the Warriors are South Sydney trio Ben Te’o, Bryson Goodwin and centre Beau Champion.

IF, and it's a big if, we signed Hurrell, I hope he'd play on the opposite side to a Semi, otherwise Semi would never see the ball. A great ball runner is Konrad, but his passing game is non-existent.

Gronk

Staff member
Wonder if Bennett's adopted geniused son Daruis Boyd is part of the Saints deal ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why would the Warriors release the 'THE form centre in the comp'? Because attack is only part of the game and Hurrell is a liability in defence.

I reckon most of you merkins never watch the defending team unless they're putting on big hits. Your judgement of players starts and ends with their attacking ability.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Why would the Warriors release the 'THE form centre in the comp'? Because attack is only part of the game and Hurrell is a liability in defence.

I reckon most of you merkins never watch the defending team unless they're putting on big hits. Your judgement of players starts and ends with their attacking ability.

So if we sign him Brad Arthur has made an error in your opinion ?

emjaycee

Coach

True and not true.
Good attacking skills are more natural and less able to be 'coached' into a player, whereas Sandows improved defence is proof that improving a players defensive skills is actually more about technique and therefore 'coachable'.

Give Konrad an off-season with a focus on improving his defence and he is a great buy.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Give Konrad an off-season with a focus on improving his defence and he is a great buy.

Or move him in closer where he can get more involved and isn't so easy to isolate.

Anyway I'll be surprised if we sign any more outside backs but as always I trust the coaching staff. If I don't understand a decision I'll make an effort to increase my understanding.

Avenger

Immortal
Someone on Phil's site reckons we are about to announce John Folau re-signing for 3 years. Thoughts? I'm on the fence with this one.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Never seen anything in John Folau but then again I dont see him every week, Forty might be the man with a better idea

Joely01

Bench
Someone on Phil's site reckons we are about to announce John Folau re-signing for 3 years. Thoughts? I'm on the fence with this one.

i reckon that would be a great re-signing, i've been watching him for a few years now and i like the way the club has been building him up.

Delboy

First Grade
John Falou needs to work hard on his defence, that is his weakness, great attacking centre - needs to translate his size into a better edge defender

If he does that, we have a good one

Forty20

First Grade
I don't mind Folau. As Delboy said, he needs to work on his defence and as with many NYC centres he has a tendency to favour backing himself with the ball.

He is similar to Vai Toutai in the sense that both have great physiques and are obnoxiously hard to tackle. If Brad Arthur can iron out the fairly typical bad habits bred courtesy of the wider junior systems then he will shape up to be a handy first grader.

I don't know exactly how much leverage he actually brings in securing Israel but that is an added perk of locking him up.

I'd have Nathan Davis and Fabian Goodall comfortably ahead of him (but they are also well ahead of the curve) but he is the third best back in our 20's.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
True and not true.
Good attacking skills are more natural and less able to be 'coached' into a player, whereas Sandows improved defence is proof that improving a players defensive skills is actually more about technique and therefore 'coachable'.

Sandow is still a huge liability in defence. Nothing much has changed.

I think john falou would make a decent second rower.This is where he should be groomed for.

Why not move everyone into the second row?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts