What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings and More Crap XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagger eel

Staff member
And I was ridiculed and laughed at for my snowball affect theory....probably from the same people who we're telling us how better off we would be when the likes of Mortimer and finch left the club

emjaycee

Coach
When you compare our roster to the Dogs you just shake your head and know that we:

1. Overvalue our players.

2. Don't have the third party power like they have.

3. Are paying for the fact that we have been shit since 2009 and must pay overs to attract players.

Well with the NRL endorsement of our recently formed "Premiership Club" point 2 will hopefully be a thing of the past soon.

Joely01

Bench
Reading all this I would say that Sio and Joseph Paulo won't be re-signed. I dare say they will snare Hayne before November 1. Paying part of Loko's salary to play for the Dogs leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

What makes you think we are still paying part of Loko's contract?

Gronk

Staff member
Did I read somewhere a few pages back that Watmough is on $970K ? FMD it seems that we're not the only merkins who pay overs.

phantom eel

First Grade
If we only have 21 players in our top 25, I can only assume that means we are paying 4 players currently playing with other clubs more than we are paying our 26th (22nd) highest paid player. That adds up to pretty poor cap management over a number of years.

Probably a flow on effect from the deeds of whoever was running the place in late 2009 getting carried away by the success and rensigning every Merlin on inflated backended deals (thanks Ossie). Add to that the subsequent instability at the club (thanks Roy), our poor place on the table (thanks SK) , and having to pay overs for recruits, the only real way out of it was for Ricky to get rid of guys, and for us to wear some short term cap pain.

Just goes to show what a great job Arthur is doing, glad he has the support of a now stable Board (rip 3P).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We'll keep the ones we want to keep. The only ones not contracted for next year are Folau and a bunch of guys who will never become first graders (Makelim, Mauala, etc). The best ones are off contract in 2016 when we currently have less than half an NRL squad contracted. We have heaps of room to retain players and almost an entire year to decide which ones we want to keep.

Avenger

Immortal
It has been reported that our cap is f**ked for this year and basically won't be better until 2016. This coincides with Hayne, Hoppa and Sandow coming off contract. In all seriousness what should we do? IMHO Hayne and Hopoate are a must re-signing. Putting aside third party and marquee allowances to one side Hayne and Hopoate shouldn't take more than $800k and $600k respectively from our cap. This may allow about $1.2 million for a tilt at DCE or $800k for Foran or alternatively $700k for Hodkinson/Ben Hunt.

What would you do?

I'd go all out for DCE and if that fails Foran and Hodkinson in that order.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm more interested in what the club intends to do than what us slobs would do. To be honest I've got no idea what we should do. I'm inclined to let Hopoate or Hayne go and chase DCE. But I think we need better forwards.

Wicks could be a great signing (or not) and the young forwards we have might just need a year or two to develop. Buying a hard old merkin to mentor them for a year might be the best use of our money in the short term, but we (the fans) don't even know how much we have to spend.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What about Beau Scott? Apparently he is a free agent.

Would probably be a great signing but we have plenty of edge forwards. Then again we have plenty of tight forwards too. I suppose Kenny Edwards could move into the middle.

Scott is 31 next year. Not too old but still a risk for anything longer than a year or two.

I think Ben Te'o would be perfect, given his age, but maybe he's asking too much. The again, an older (31+) player for two years might mean we don't have to let go of a young gun (Moeroa, Pauli) whereas paying huge bucks to a guy in his late 20s for three years or more might just be enough to push a youngster out in 2017.

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon as hard as we chase DCE , he is either staying or going to Brisbane (oh course we should try but). I would be having good look at Ben Hunt, if he continues his good form he is good enough to lead a side especially if he is in a side with hoppa/hayne. He would be cheaper but broncos will probably try for cherry first, thus hunt may jump to secure his future rather then waiting.

I also think we need to sign a senior forward. Not sure who is off contract but someone like Scott would be good. Even Trent merin

I would prefer hunt and another forward then just cherry

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Of course, if Matterson's kicking game improves dramatically over the off season then Sandow could find himself playing in Wenty next year, but then we probably wouldn't need to find a halfback for 2016. We might need to find a goal kicker though.

Chipmunk

Coach
Of course, if Matterson's kicking game improves dramatically over the off season then Sandow could find himself playing in Wenty next year, but then we probably wouldn't need to find a halfback for 2016. We might need to find a goal kicker though.

We wont need a kicker if we sign Inu.

What about aiming for something a bit cheaper than DCE... It appears Adam Reynolds is on the outer at Souths. Did he and Peats not come through the lower grades together?

For mine Reynolds is more of the Cooper Cronk style of halfback we need, rather than the creative style like DCE.

yy_cheng

Coach
We wont need a kicker if we sign Inu.

What about aiming for something a bit cheaper than DCE... It appears Adam Reynolds is on the outer at Souths. Did he and Peats not come through the lower grades together?

For mine Reynolds is more of the Cooper Cronk style of halfback we need, rather than the creative style like DCE.

Reynolds is a lottery

He is behind a strong pack and provides an excellent kicking game.

Running the team and making plays are unknown at this point in time

Status
Not open for further replies.