What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Copperhead

Juniors
A rib cartliage is a pain injury so it's indefinite. There's no way to recover a rib cartliage in the short term. He can't get back to 100% until next year that's the problem. The club has to judge when he's at the level where he can't get any better this year then let him play. Which is hard.
I thought he had a hamstring injury, and Garner had the rib problem.

Original Name

Juniors
Ivan does love plodders
Hosking runs aggressive as? Martin uses his own body like it's a bludgeon a fair portion of the time. Like when Martin comes on the fence he's like top backrowers 5 when it comes to pure physicality in his runs. It feels the word plodder starts to lose meaning when you you say it like that. Garner, Eisenhuth, Lindsay Smith are the only real plodders at the club. Which doesn't make you a bad player or anything in of itself.
I thought he had a hamstring injury, and Garner had the rib problem.
Oh I thought you guys were talking about the club being vague about Garner not Martin. Anyway Martin has a big season ahead with Origin up coming. I'm sure the club is being a bit cautious with how much extra running he's going to be doing in Origin. When you're under fatigue that's when you can re injure hamstrings.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Hosking runs aggressive as? Martin uses his own body like it's a bludgeon a fair portion of the time. Like when Martin comes on the fence he's like top backrowers 5 when it comes to pure physicality in his runs. It feels the word plodder starts to lose meaning when you you say it like that. Garner, Eisenhuth, Lindsay Smith are the only real plodders at the club. Which doesn't make you a bad player or anything in of itself.

Well Wilton won't come IF Martin re-signs.

Hosking was signed on the cheap
Sorensen signed on the cheap
Garner - admitted to taking a pay cut to come here
Capewell again signed on the cheap.

That is what Ivan does get cheap backrowers that have a limited skillset

Murraymob1

Juniors
I have watched Wilton in his last few games.if we don’t have better already coming through the grades deadset we are in trouble.

Crashtest

Juniors
Hosking was signed on the cheap
Sorensen signed on the cheap
Garner - admitted to taking a pay cut to come here
Capewell again signed on the cheap.

That is what Ivan does get cheap backrowers that have a limited skillset
I don’t see it that he signs players with limited skill sets. Rather that he signs players with low value that he believes he can develop into better players.

And it’s hard to argue at his recent success at doing that. Of the players you mentioned, Capewell is now a state of origin player, Sorensen a Kiwi international. Hoskins value has already risen after just 2 first grade games here. The jury might still be out on Garner just yet, but even he improved majorly between his first game and second game.

Murraymob1

Juniors
T
I don’t see it that he signs players with limited skill sets. Rather that he signs players with low value that he believes he can develop into better players.

And it’s hard to argue at his recent success at doing that. Of the players you mentioned, Capewell is now a state of origin player, Sorensen a Kiwi international. Hoskins value has already risen after just 2 first grade games here. The jury might still be out on Garner just yet, but even he improved majorly between his first game and second game.
hey also come into a highly talented squad that helps them standout as well

Iamback

Coach
I still don’t get all the “Ivan loves plodders” comments.

With the salary cap, no club can have a whole team full of star players. You need some that are solid and reliable and can do a role.

All coaches do this, even the Bellamy, Robinson and Bennett.

I presume this signing is for IF Martin doesn't re-sign

In which case we have lost 3 top backrowers and replaced with above average guys

Roosters needed a 9 went and bought Brandon Smith have added Spencer to replace JWH. Dom Young to replace Tupou.

When is the last established guy we have brought here in Ivan's time?

Crashtest

Juniors
I presume this signing is for IF Martin doesn't re-sign

In which case we have lost 3 top backrowers and replaced with above average guys

Roosters needed a 9 went and bought Brandon Smith have added Spencer to replace JWH. Dom Young to replace Tupou.

When is the last established guy we have brought here in Ivan's time?

The Wilton signing is a just a rumour though. Wilton is off contract in 2023, Martin in 2024, so Wilton won’t be signed to replace Martin. So I’m not sure how you can use a rumour about Wilton as an argument that Ivan loves plodders when it’s not even fact.

The Panthers and Roosters are two totally different clubs with two totally different 5 year plans. The Panthers are a development club, so have to plan for not just the current first grade players, but ensure a pathway for next ones coming through. So their plan will never be to go to market for stars, they look to develop their own. Then compliment that with signings needed to fill the gaps. The Roosters don’t have a junior nursery and so go to market. So the Roosters comparison doesn’t assist your argument that Ivan loves plodders.

The last star player we bought under Ivan was Api. Even though we had two Panther junior hookers in our first grade team at the time, Ivan onviously thought we needed a player better than what we had and went and bought one. He will no doubt do the same again when he sees a gap between what we need and what we have coming through.

Last edited:

Latest posts