What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Api looks fine, it's his spud team mates that have no idea how to play off him that is the problem. The try he scored a week or so ago where he put a little kick in the ingoal, here that try would have been scored by Criita, Martin or Cleary. Instead Api had to score himself while his mates stood flat footed more bamboozled than the defence. Not one Tiger was within 15 meters of the ball when the try was scored.

He and Staines carried them against Parra with a bit of help from Bateman, the rest of the team were clueless.
It will be criminal if he's not NSW hooker

GongPanther

Referee
He must be reading my comments I've been making over the past fortnight on here and on FB.
The players will find themselves in a very hard spot. It's either prestige V money. I think the money will win out if someone waves a $1mill in front of their face.

But still, if one pauses for a while and considers that we have been losing players every year in a constant flow, and we have not missed a beat during those seasons with all those transitions.

Occam's razor will apply again, and the club will continue to do the same business it always has regardless of who stays or goes.

The NRL you would think will have some kind of discount plan for losing young players in their prime to other clubs as if they were pinching apples from a neighbors tree.

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
Dolphins, Tigers probably Bulldogs maybe Dragons

Hammer has Dolphins fullback locked in. Farnsworth and Flegler wouldn't be going there for cheap.
No way they dump Katoa from 6

Dogs have blown $900k on Critter to be fullback are paying Burton the same at 6.

Tigers have paid overs for guys, I don't believe they were actually after Moses.

Maybe $800k for both.
That is only $50k extra.

What Spencer is on now covers Edwards increase

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Hammer has Dolphins fullback locked in. Farnsworth and Flegler wouldn't be going there for cheap.
No way they dump Katoa from 6

Dogs have blown $900k on Critter to be fullback are paying Burton the same at 6.

Tigers have paid overs for guys, I don't believe they were actually after Moses.

Maybe $800k for both.
That is only $50k extra.

What Spencer is on now covers Edwards increase
The club agreed with lots on here that Edwards would never be good enough with ball in hand (The f**king champion has done enough to prove me wrong) that they had Critter or Staines planned to take over. When he stepped up we instantly let Charlie walk and then only offered Critter centre money. I have no doubt we have enough to keep both.

I’m not convinced another club will offer Luai top money. He’s a good foil for Cleary, but I wouldn’t be confident with him being my top paid half.

Edwards has been playing exceptional footy, he’s definitely going to need a solid upgrade. Hopefully he’ll accept a little less to stay with the club.

Last edited:
Dylan Edwards is a great player but he isn't worth $1 Mil he isn't in the top 3-4 fullbacks , he needs the panthers as much as they need him, Luai would struggle outside someone else bar Cleary he doesn't control the team and you would say he isn't going to win you a game if it's tight so he is maybe worth $6-700 a year

Edwards is now a top 5 fullback.

On pure ability Tedesco, Turbo & Pep are better. But two of those guys hardly ever play. I’d have Edwards ranked as 4th, he’s gone past Gutherson and he’s better than Mitchell. In terms of current form he’s 2nd.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I’m not convinced another club will offer Luai top money. He’s a good foil for Cleary, but I wouldn’t be confident with him being my top paid half.

Edwards has been playing exceptional footy, he’s definitely going to need a solid upgrade. Hopefully he’ll except a little less to stay with the club.
Yeah Luai can't kick long enough for a club to go all in and make him the main man imo.

Iamback

Coach
The club agreed with lots on here that Edwards would never be good enough with ball in hand (The f**king champion has done enough to prove me wrong) that they had Critter or Staines planned to take over. When he stepped up we instantly let Charlie walk and then only offered Critter centre money. I have no doubt we have enough to keep both.

Correct. We could of gone harder and kept Spencer too but didn't to make sure we keep the key guys

I love what Edwards brings to the club, but if we need to make him a huge offer to keep him surely running with Turuva or Iongi at the back is an option.

Edwards is all heart and super fit, and those aren’t things to be sniffed at. But could they be replicated by others at a cheaper price? For me, the key skill set he possesses that may not be replaceable is his ability to set the defence; if in fact some of the younger guys can also do that then maybe he becomes a cap casualty.

Hope not, but couldn’t deny the kid a huge payday.

Last edited:

Original Name

Juniors
You guys overact way too easily. The most likely thing is both will take a pay cut and stay.

This is the same Jarome Luai who spend 3 years off the bench/in reserve grade when he could have gone to another club made first grade and got first grade money in that time. This is the same Edwards who has been content now to be paid close to halve his actual value being on a relatively tiny 450K. Just don't let others like Chammas tell you what's going to happen. Stop and think what's likely to happen. This is probably nothing.

If Edwards cared that much about getting paid a massive amount more surely he would have asked for an upgrade by now.

Yeah Luai can't kick long enough for a club to go all in and make him the main man imo.
Doesn't square up the line to create space for his outside men. Virtually none of his skills are halfback like. It's really strange for anyone to even consider.

Edwards has been playing exceptional footy, he’s definitely going to need a solid upgrade. Hopefully he’ll accept a little less to stay with the club.
A player coming off contract isn't just about the actual player it's about the position and the depth or lack of depth in that position. Supply and demand. Chad Townsend on 750K was always a steal for the Cowboys regardless of what people at the time thought because of the lack of experienced halfbacks.

Last edited:

Munky

Coach
The way Edwards plays is of highest value to Pantherball structures.

Thus Penrith, Bulldogs and Warriors.

Bulldogs have signed Critter for the role.

Warriors are an interesting one. A fully fit CNK back in 2019 performed very similarly to 2022 Edwards.

If you look at other clubs their attack is based around the fullback providing the x factor. If they were to bring in Edwards they would need to construct the rest of the roster appropriately.

Edwards has improved out of sight in attacking positions however any game breaking comes from relentlessly pounding away for fifty minutes rather than moments of individual brilliance.

kinghippo

Juniors
I think this article is a non event, both will stay.

Penrith have an awesome team but we have managed our cap well.
We have a guns and rookies squad.

We know the guns but we have a large amount of good players on small contracts.

Kenny, hosking, Turuva, tago, and May are not on big coin and the rest of the bench in on very small contracts, including Sorrenson.

Fish, Yeo and Cleary are the big money but most of the team are on unders.
Crichton got shown the door because he wanted a payday.

The real story is which up and comers will we loose.

Soni Luke will be targeted by other teams, he could want a start and some big dollars, he is older than others coming through.

Turuva could see a lot of interest from elsewhere and our amazing juniors will continue to be poached.

I think this article is a non event, both will stay.

Penrith have an awesome team but we have managed our cap well.
We have a guns and rookies squad.

We know the guns but we have a large amount of good players on small contracts.

Kenny, hosking, Turuva, tago, and May are not on big coin and the rest of the bench in on very small contracts, including Sorrenson.

Fish, Yeo and Cleary are the big money but most of the team are on unders.
Crichton got shown the door because he wanted a payday.

The real story is which up and comers will we loose.

Soni Luke will be targeted by other teams, he could want a start and some big dollars, he is older than others coming through.

Turuva could see a lot of interest from elsewhere and our amazing juniors will continue to be poached.
I agree. I find it strange that Lenius next club hasn't been announced yet, even though he had confirmed his departure.

Latest posts