What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
It's weird. I wonder if as he is getting older there is a bit less patience. Possibly more pressure at the Dogs as they seem to think being a contender is an entitlement that is owed to them, whereas we as a club seemed to be pretty happy to see some kind of progress in the right direction.

The blueprint he used here would translate well to the dogs imo. A few hard workers from decent systems would be better than the flashy types they seem to go for. They do have a few decent kids on the books, getting a good work ethic into them would pay dividends down the track.

Could it be outside pressure from the board and their very loud and demanding fans.

I think they're in the process of falling into a rabbit hole of only buying 'stars'.

maple_69

Bench
The Dolphins effectively followed our model, albeit they had the advantage of a clean cap. Bring in aging guys from winning systems who know what it takes and will establish high standards and positive culture. Then fill the pipeline with young talent that can come into a good set up and slowly fill gaps with the big names in the coming years.

Signings like Manu and Kite were exactly the same as Bromwish and Kaufusi. A bit maligned at the time but perfect for what they were signed to do. I wish more teams and their management had the patience to properly rebuild rather than just poach whatever talented kid or coach they can and hope it magically clicks.

MugaB

Coach
It's insane how different Ivan's recruitment philosophy is to Gus.

Gus wants the biggest names coming off contract while Ivan loves plod.
Ivan loves to mould Plod... he has done some wonders... it was an issue when he left the tigers, as he bought a handful of quality plod, expecting to mould it, and had done wonders with packer, madolino and brooks, but hadn't got around to mbop and reynolds,
Then him leaving left them with a team of half finished plod with no efficient coaching artist to mould it...
Gus too lazy to mould, he finds a marquee and whispers sweetness, like the horse whisperer...

MugaB

Coach
He’s a NSW / Kangaroos level Edge back rower, unless he’s being replaced by another Equally good back rower, I wouldn’t move him.

He needs to be on our Left edge, Hosking on the right.

Go to market and try and find a hard running pysco middle.
Martin can be that psycho middle, if we keep soro

MugaB

Coach
Oddly Gus wasn't after the big names with us. He started out buying scrap heap players to fix our cap and cop the losses while we nurtured our juniors.

He then bought what we needed. Soward, Wallace, Whare, Peachey etc. He bought solid guys looking for opportunities.

Only two guys he paid big money to recruit were James Tamou and Trent Merrin. He sort of did this when they looked like the final pieces of a premiership puzzle though.

At Bulldogs its just throw everything at the biggest name whether they need him or not. Not exactly sure why they went for someone like Critter when they desperately need a genuine spine player. An established spine player for either 1 or 7.

Mahoney and Burton can be part of a premiership puzzle. They need atleast one more premiership quality spine player though. Critter as great as he can be is not the answer at fullback IMO. With us he probably could do the job with the rest of our spine.
Critta in at 5/8th alongside Burton at 7 would be deadly, i reckon thats how he got his signature
He was pretty good for Samoa in at 5/8th alongside Luai at 7, thats the play, they are probably keeping hayze perem there as gus has massive wraps on him

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
The Dolphins effectively followed our model, albeit they had the advantage of a clean cap. Bring in aging guys from winning systems who know what it takes and will establish high standards and positive culture. Then fill the pipeline with young talent that can come into a good set up and slowly fill gaps with the big names in the coming years.

Signings like Manu and Kite were exactly the same as Bromwish and Kaufusi. A bit maligned at the time but perfect for what they were signed to do. I wish more teams and their management had the patience to properly rebuild rather than just poach whatever talented kid or coach they can and hope it magically clicks.
Aka Roosters philosophy, buy, buy, buy...
Then throw them out when they don't perform...
The whole salary sombero tag has made them shitscared to ever try to break it these days, maybe a decade or 2 ago, but these days if they were even remotely caught for a minor infringement in that area the media and RL fans would crucify them...
Ive always said they have only 4 suburbs to pull juniors from, and are a drain on the whole player pool, a team like "sydney" shouldn't exist.. not when we have 8 other sides in the same city... punt them to Adelaide, and I'll gladly accept if they want to poach the all stars from around the league, if they were interstate and not a bain on the competition

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee

They didn't follow it by choice though.

Every superstar they went for knocked them back. They were only interested in using them to bump up their value it seems. I still can't believe they're doing so well. They have one of the worst rosters in the comp IMO and their depth looked average. Yet Bennett has squeezed every last bit of talent out of that roster.

soc123_au

Staff member
They didn't follow it by choice though.

Every superstar they went for knocked them back. They were only interested in using them to bump up their value it seems. I still can't believe they're doing so well. They have one of the worst rosters in the comp IMO and their depth looked average. Yet Bennett has squeezed every last bit of talent out of that roster.
Injuries and the judiciary haven't been kind either which makes it even more impressive.

Murraymob1

Juniors
Brian tooheys a Newcastle journalist’s has reported when asked he have talked to sorrenson but he feels if penrith offer a bit more he will stay .He is not confident
Over to you retention committee unless he is asking crazy money we surly have a bit extra from Crighton going to offer
I will say Brian tooheys is normally spot on when it comes to Newcastle news

Brian tooheys a Newcastle journalist’s has reported when asked he have talked to sorrenson but he feels if penrith offer a bit more he will stay .He is not confident
Over to you retention committee unless he is asking crazy money we surly have a bit extra from Crighton going to offer
I will say Brian tooheys is normally spot on when it comes to Newcastle news
I prefer he stays, how we offer that but extra. I'm sure we don't need to sell to get someone else in.

Black Panther

Juniors
A player I think Penrith should look at short term could be Jarrod Croker. Has been awesome since his return to First Grade and not with the Raiders next year. Might be worth a season until others are ready down the track.

MugaB

Coach
A player I think Penrith should look at short term could be Jarrod Croker. Has been awesome since his return to First Grade and not with the Raiders next year. Might be worth a season until others are ready down the track.
Canberra losing another one of their sons, would cripple their support, its completely fkd that wighton is jumping ship to grab some imaginary title at souffs, and its even worse that he is doing it on unders, makes that club look like a bunch of assholes, if we had croker or even attempted to sign him, we'd look like the those assholes

soc123_au

Staff member
I like byc, but no, no and no. He wouldn't leave the Raiders at this point anyway.

Fangs

Coach

He has done extremely well to make it back to first grade. Most would have given up.

I expect he makes it to 300 games and retires early this year. That is if he wants to, the Raiders have him contracted for 2024 and I think they would prefer him off the books.

As for Penrith he won't come cheaper than Tyrone Peachey. So I don't think we would show much interest to be honest. We need them cheap.

MugaB

Coach
Moving him to bench middle is an absolute mistake.
48-4 scoreline says otherwise, bashed the fk out of lodge, terrorism at its finest, last time martin played returning from his injury was against the knights 15-16, martin played on the edge and wasnt terribly effective, until he can switch from left to right he should stay in the middle, im kinda liking hoskings on the left, martin needs to use his punch in the middle, him and Spenser would be insane off the bench

Latest posts